What's new

April 2024 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in…
IMG_0589.jpeg

Day 20, 66.7% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Opuntia
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: Rockwell 6S R6, Ti Handle, Astra SP #6
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

I used Opuntia for SV Saturday, and got the usual fine bowl-lather. Performance is the same as Cubebe, but I prefer the scent.

The Rockwell with R6 plate did a comfortable job of getting me a near-BBS.

The Chinese KCG blade is quite a nice blade. Definitely smooth and sharp

I wondered what had happened to them. The originals were the best modern blade I've tried — a remarkable combination of smooth and sharp.

Sounds like they've managed to transfer the magic somewhere else, ✓.

Last edited:
They are remarkably sharp and smooth. I like them very much. Unfortunately you get them here at premium prices only. The only packaging I found was 10 pieces (5x2).

IMO, the KCG blades are way overpriced. 0.50 EUR per blade is just ridiculous. I bought a couple of tucks (6?) when I found them at discounted prices (60% off ;) )

But hey, it's nice to have choices.

Btw, still in.

Loaded a Nacet today. Wonderful smooth shave.

20240421_070317.jpeg
Wishing you all a great Sunday!

Date21.04.2024
366 daily shaves
112/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Aristocrat OC #15KCG China (2)Omega Proraso
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (94)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)6/10 (Razor sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.5/10
(DFS+++)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. An upper class shave with all upper class gear and software. A splendid start to Sunday.

Further shave notes can be found here.

Enjoy your shave!

I feel like things have finally settled here after a very busy and hectic early April. As mentioned earlier I had no time to post or even look at B&B, and the first time I got back to it last week I had 64 notifications! Of course only about 20 of them actually displayed on my phone, so I’m hoping I didn’t miss anything important!

Yesterday’s shave, after a freshly sharpened blade, was back to my second favorite: my Gillette New LC. A DFS on shave 519 on my Feather!

LJB
It was enjoyable and interesting using a bowl. In my experience, I had to squeeze the lather out of the core of the brush back into the bowl and then use mostly paint brush strokes. Once upon a time I was a confirmed bowl user but for most of the past year I switched to lathering on my face.
For this week I am back to face lathering and currently that is my preferred method.
I also have gone back and forth on this. I started out face lathering when I returned to traditional wet shaving, then bowl lathered (in the soap mug and then in my scuttle) for a year or so. On a long vacation it was more convenient and practical to face lather. Once home I started bowl lathering, then realized that after going to all the work of getting some nice lather I was rubbing it into my face with the brush! Heck, that’s face lathering, why not skip the bowl step! I think I tried bowl lathering once since then, and like you I occasionally wipe off the brush into my soap mug and paint my face with it, usually on later passes. I find face lathering easier, faster, more bombproof, less frustrating, and aids in prepping the whiskers. What’s not to like?

Day 21, 70% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Palmolive Stick, made into a puck
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: Rockwell 6S R6, Ti Handle, Astra SP #7
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

It was Palmolive day again. Added a dash of glycerine, and got the usual super-creamy bowl lather, for an easy near-BBS.

I see I'm not the only Palmolive fan. :thumbup:

They are remarkably sharp and smooth. I like them very much. Unfortunately you get them here at premium prices only. The only packaging I found was 10 pieces (5x2).

The originals were also 5 x 2 cardboard packaging, and expensive.

There was a game of "guess what these are, rebadged", because it seemed unlikely that they had their own production line, but I don't think we ever got a definitive answer.

Top Bottom