What's new

Apollo Adjustables are often known as Mikrons

But apparently not always. Even though we thought the Ben Hur was mainly the Apollo brand razor for the French market, here's an Apollo Mikron adjustable also known as a Ben Hur Mikron. Uncommon set, but then Apollos are somewhat idiosyncratic in their models. Wouldn't it be great to have the entire lineage drawn out. I know Quaternion presented a fairly comprehensive overview in this previous thread but there's obviously still much more to learn about the evolution of this company and the models they designed and developed.

Here's one recent acquisition that adds to my confusion -- a Mikron is most often an Apollo Mikron. And here's a Ben Hur Mikron. That's also branded as an Apollo Mikron.
proxy.php

At least that's what is stamped on the case.

And then the family of Apollo Mikron & etc. adjustables sitting in my display case -- making a brief public display here.
proxy.php

proxy.php

And then when they venture out of their cozy and well made cases, they expose their charm, beauty, and in some cases, unfortunate Zamak foundation. At least the gold plated Mikron.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here you can see the heft and length of the razors. This next image makes them look shorter, but it's just perspective foreshortening.
proxy.php

Classy razors -- what a shame the company didn't invest the few DMs it would have taken to have built them in brass instead of Zamak. But I still have a strong attraction to them. And wanted to have a little coming out party with my new chrome plated Mikron adjustable.

I only have one Mikron, but find it such a great shaver so use it from time to time even though it's zamak.
Jake's Apollos just blow my mind! Beautiful!

Wow! Thanks for sharing..!
At least now I know where merkur progress got its design from!

The head design is similar indeed, but the Progress is a very old design too. Not sure about the adjustable versions (vintage Progress) but Merkur was already making non adjustable razors with a Progress-like head long before these Mikron were made.

Nice razors, Jake. Thanks for sharing.

The head design is similar indeed, but the Progress is a very old design too. Not sure about the adjustable versions (vintage Progress) but Merkur was already making non adjustable razors with a Progress-like head long before these Mikron were made.

Thanks for the info Edgar. The yellow know is pretty similar too!

Very nice photos, Jake! Thanks for sharing.

In one of your previous threads someone posted pictures of a "Ben Hur" Mikron:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/335280-The-Apollo-family-of-razors?p=6239884#post6239884

The Friedrich Herkenrath company at first only used the "Ben Hur" brand, starting in the 1920s. In 1940 they registered the "Apollo" trade mark. It looks like they stopped using the "Ben Hur" brand in Germany after some point during the war. After the war they continued to use "Ben Hur" for export in addition to "Apollo".

Hi Jake,
Indeed thanks for sharing the photos. Sorry I can't add to the "Ben Hur"/"Apollo" question, but have a questions that perhaps you or another Micron expert can answer.

I recently aquired an Apollo Micron (the chrome one with their logo on the head and in the identical leather non-zipper travel case as in your photos). Given what I paid for it, it was to be a keeper/show model, but I couldn't help myself and have started shaving with it. "Nice" would be an understatement!! I find the blade exposure and adjustability perfect. Anything below setting 4 and it's impossible to nick/cut myself (even with pressure), but of course the shaves aren't as close. I find a magic adjustment setting (5.5 for me) that's perfect - best shaves ever, without unnecessary blade exposure. Anyhow, a wanted to ask if the Micron were supposed to be used with a specific Apollo (or Ben Hur") brand blade? I see that Apollo had blades that were "10", "15" and "20" and in your pictures you have a "5" blade pack. Right or wrong, mine came with an Apollo "20". What's the difference between the Apollo blades and what modern blade comes closes?

Thanks,

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/378648-When-a-Ben-Hur-razor-is-not-an-Apollo
Here's a link

Hi Jake,
Indeed thanks for sharing the photos. Sorry I can't add to the "Ben Hur"/"Apollo" question, but have a questions that perhaps you or another Micron expert can answer.

I recently aquired an Apollo Micron (the chrome one with their logo on the head and in the identical leather non-zipper travel case as in your photos). Given what I paid for it, it was to be a keeper/show model, but I couldn't help myself and have started shaving with it. "Nice" would be an understatement!! I find the blade exposure and adjustability perfect. Anything below setting 4 and it's impossible to nick/cut myself (even with pressure), but of course the shaves aren't as close. I find a magic adjustment setting (5.5 for me) that's perfect - best shaves ever, without unnecessary blade exposure. Anyhow, a wanted to ask if the Micron were supposed to be used with a specific Apollo (or Ben Hur") brand blade? I see that Apollo had blades that were "10", "15" and "20" and in your pictures you have a "5" blade pack. Right or wrong, mine came with an Apollo "20". What's the difference between the Apollo blades and what modern blade comes closes?

Thanks,

Hi Jake,

Thanks,
Can you show us some photos?

Sure Jake,
I'm traveling without the razor, so here are some pictures from the person who sold it to me. (Hope I get this right - its my first time uploading photos on B&B). Looks (to me) identical to the razor in your very first picture.
$ApolloMicron1.jpg
Came with a really nice leather case and instructions (in English for some reason)
$ApolloMicron4.jpg
Lots of neat details (including the Micron name)
$ApolloMicron5.jpg
Adjustable knob looks and works great
$ApolloMicron3.jpg
Head in great shape (except a fleck of missing red paint)

Very nice. Glad to know you're not traveling with that beauty. I recently got a new Mikron also. With a remarkable story behind it. I'll post some photos as soon as I have daylight hours to shoot some. Congratulations on your excellent Apollo Mikron.

Top Bottom