What's new

Smart-Helix Apollo

Gentlemen.
Hope things are well with all of you. I received my new Helix Apollo razor from Ukraine a few days ago. I was out of town at a training course for my job when it arrived. Needless to say I was really looking forward to unpacking and using this razor.
First off though, a bit of background. Both sets of my grandparents came from Ukraine. Their parents were from Ukraine and so on. So heritage-wise I am 100% Ukrainian, Canadian born. I have never visited Ukraine but I know we have relatives that have fled, been displaced and died since this tragedy has unfolded. We have been contributing to relief efforts as have so many others as well.
When I read a review of this razor by HDSledge I was immediately impressed by the style, looks and quality of this shaver. I ordered one as quickly as I could because of the situational fluidity that was happening in Ukraine at the time. I ordered in the last quarter of Feb, 2022. It arrived April 11th. During that time I tried to contact the company several times. No replies. They are located in Kharkiv which received a huge amount of shelling and destruction. I tried to let them know to not worry about the razor but to use the money for food, shelter etc. Still no replies.
Now onto the razor itself.
The razor weighs in at 121gms. A very solid and well-balanced shaver. The workmanship is top-notch with terrific fit and finish. No issues with slippage due to the well done knurling on the handle.
The razor is agile and very manoeuvrable. Even though I don't shave my entire face due to a moustache and goatee.
I stared out with a wool fat soap and lathered up. I stared with feather blade which had a few shaves on it. I do this because I remember what happened with my R41 when I loaded a brand new blade and because of the aggressive nature of that particular shaver I didn't pay proper attention and proceeded to cut myself to ribbons.
I began with the aggressive side of the base plate and realized quickly this is a shaver which requires your complete attention. You just get that feeling when you begin that it's a serious piece of equipment.
So, I flipped the base plate over to the "Smooth" side and was pleasantly rewarded with a very nice, mild but efficient shave. Two passes with some buffing. No irritation, cuts or weepers.
From here on in I see myself using the smooth version and Im quite happy doing so. It's a wonderful, well made good looking razor which is going to see a good amount of use.
I truly hope this company and its owners are able to survive what's been happening. The same goes for all of Ukraine and its people.
As before I wish you all the best and may you all stay safe.
IMG_2210.jpeg
IMG_2211.jpeg
IMG_2212.jpeg
IMG_2213.jpeg
IMG_2214.jpeg

I hear you. It's a difficult line to follow or walk. That's why I deliberately stayed away from commenting in a political manner. This is a very good razor, I just hope it stays available, although given the current situation I cant say whether or not that will happen. But it is a really good razor.

I hear you. It's a difficult line to follow or walk. That's why I deliberately stayed away from commenting in a political manner. This is a very good razor, I just hope it stays available, although given the current situation I cant say whether or not that will happen. But it is a really good razor.
That's why I said quote/unquote politics. I don't consider facts open to political interpretation. The owners of this site have decided that even that is an open door for things they don't want on here. I am slowly coming around to understanding this.

I just wish a few people on here would stop doing drive bys on threads with very much political statements that completely derail threads that they weren't even previously commenting in.

I have this razor too, but the ‘light’ version with the base plates separated. It is beautifully made, by anyone’s standards, and a very fine razor. I do hope the people behind Smart Helix are ok - not that anybody in Ukraine is unscathed by this terrible situation.

It is also very uncomfortable that we have to be so careful with our words when such an event is happening and affecting people we may know. It would certainly feel monstrous to talk about the merits of a Ukrainian razor and ignore the current circumstances or the fact that we don’t know whether those who made it are alive, and, honestly, as a human being I find that impossible to do.

I will leave It at that.

03D43CD6-5B65-43B8-8A2A-9B52E3E4C63E.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So: am I korreck in thinking that this razor is made on a CNC machine? The handle alone is a werk of art.

The fact that it shaves at all is kinda secondary to the looks to me, lol!

Also: that box it comes in is incredible. I can't think of another razor that comes in a cooler box/crate...

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Gentlemen.
Hope things are well with all of you. I received my new Helix Apollo razor from Ukraine a few days ago. I was out of town at a training course for my job when it arrived. Needless to say I was really looking forward to unpacking and using this razor.
First off though, a bit of background. Both sets of my grandparents came from Ukraine. Their parents were from Ukraine and so on. So heritage-wise I am 100% Ukrainian, Canadian born. I have never visited Ukraine but I know we have relatives that have fled, been displaced and died since this tragedy has unfolded. We have been contributing to relief efforts as have so many others as well.
When I read a review of this razor by HDSledge I was immediately impressed by the style, looks and quality of this shaver. I ordered one as quickly as I could because of the situational fluidity that was happening in Ukraine at the time. I ordered in the last quarter of Feb, 2022. It arrived April 11th. During that time I tried to contact the company several times. No replies. They are located in Kharkiv which received a huge amount of shelling and destruction. I tried to let them know to not worry about the razor but to use the money for food, shelter etc. Still no replies.
Now onto the razor itself.
The razor weighs in at 121gms. A very solid and well-balanced shaver. The workmanship is top-notch with terrific fit and finish. No issues with slippage due to the well done knurling on the handle.
The razor is agile and very manoeuvrable. Even though I don't shave my entire face due to a moustache and goatee.
I stared out with a wool fat soap and lathered up. I stared with feather blade which had a few shaves on it. I do this because I remember what happened with my R41 when I loaded a brand new blade and because of the aggressive nature of that particular shaver I didn't pay proper attention and proceeded to cut myself to ribbons.
I began with the aggressive side of the base plate and realized quickly this is a shaver which requires your complete attention. You just get that feeling when you begin that it's a serious piece of equipment.
So, I flipped the base plate over to the "Smooth" side and was pleasantly rewarded with a very nice, mild but efficient shave. Two passes with some buffing. No irritation, cuts or weepers.
From here on in I see myself using the smooth version and Im quite happy doing so. It's a wonderful, well made good looking razor which is going to see a good amount of use.
I truly hope this company and its owners are able to survive what's been happening. The same goes for all of Ukraine and its people.
As before I wish you all the best and may you all stay safe.
View attachment 1440931View attachment 1440932View attachment 1440933View attachment 1440935View attachment 1440936

I honestly can't get over the fact that you were able to, get a product from Ukraine, with a full bore darn war going on over there! I am over here in the US, and I can't even get a new pair of boots, for which I ordered from another state in my own country, delivered to me on time, because of severe weather delays!

So ya, I am truly amazed that logistics still runs from a country who is at war with another. Which BTW, I've heard Ukraine has been kicking butt over there, especially with all the support they have gotten from other's throughout the world, which is awesome.

Hopefully, the war ends soon, so nobody else has to get hurt or die. And I am truly and deeply sorry, for those in your family, who have been lost. You are in my thoughts, I hope things get better soon.

That Apollo razor has a long handle, clearly 3 piece design by the looks of it. Doesn't appear to have the best textured grip on it, so maybe keep soap off your fingers while in use. Please update us on how you like it, after you have had a chance to use it!

I honestly can't get over the fact that you were able to, get a product from Ukraine, with a full bore darn war going on over there! I am over here in the US, and I can't even get a new pair of boots, for which I ordered from another state in my own country, delivered to me on time, because of severe weather delays!

So ya, I am truly amazed that logistics still runs from a country who is at war with another. Which BTW, I've heard Ukraine has been kicking butt over there, especially with all the support they have gotten from other's throughout the world, which is awesome.

Hopefully, the war ends soon, so nobody else has to get hurt or die. And I am truly and deeply sorry, for those in your family, who have been lost. You are in my thoughts, I hope things get better soon.

That Apollo razor has a long handle, clearly 3 piece design by the looks of it. Doesn't appear to have the best textured grip on it, so maybe keep soap off your fingers while in use. Please update us on how you like it, after you have had a chance to use it!
The grip is fine. The razor is a great shaver. I am so impressed with everyone on this blog as to the dire situation Ukraine is in. All the best to all of you.

It's a really interesting design, I find myself back here again looking at it because I forgot about all the details of the design such as the plate that flips.

The most obvious thing is how low the blade angle is. Normally this would produce some unwanted consequences, but the clamping looks even better than the R41GS. The second thing is how little surface area the safety bar has that is in contact with your skin, it looks like it comes to a point almost. The Timeless slim does something similar, but still less so. The effect of this no doubt is that you can't put the weight of the razor against you skin, you would need to keep it floating. So that brings up the handle, with razors like this usually benefitting from the extra weight by naturally tending to pull the blade away from the skin. I suppose the balance point comes into play in off angle areas and I can't tell how all that length would be useful.

It's an interesting design that seems to achieve something similar to the new Green Cult or Blackbird razors, more the former than the later. I understand the Blackbird bends the blade more than is obvious without handling it. I can say in my Timeless, I prefer the higher amount of bend, it's not that much more, because the edge isn't aimed directly at your skin. Rather, the side of the bevel.

Kharkiv was a very important area for Ukraine's economy and a centre for technology, I believe going back to Soviet times. There are space related components manufactured there that are affecting launch providers and their clients. It is very painful to think how many rungs down the ladder their technological capabilities are going to be for some time. And that is assuming it will remain part of Ukraine...

It's a really interesting design, I find myself back here again looking at it because I forgot about all the details of the design such as the plate that flips.

The most obvious thing is how low the blade angle is. Normally this would produce some unwanted consequences, but the clamping looks even better than the R41GS. The second thing is how little surface area the safety bar has that is in contact with your skin, it looks like it comes to a point almost. The Timeless slim does something similar, but still less so. The effect of this no doubt is that you can't put the weight of the razor against you skin, you would need to keep it floating. So that brings up the handle, with razors like this usually benefitting from the extra weight by naturally tending to pull the blade away from the skin. I suppose the balance point comes into play in off angle areas and I can't tell how all that length would be useful.

It's an interesting design that seems to achieve something similar to the new Green Cult or Blackbird razors, more the former than the later. I understand the Blackbird bends the blade more than is obvious without handling it. I can say in my Timeless, I prefer the higher amount of bend, it's not that much more, because the edge isn't aimed directly at your skin. Rather, the side of the bevel.

Kharkiv was a very important area for Ukraine's economy and a centre for technology, I believe going back to Soviet times. There are space related components manufactured there that are affecting launch providers and their clients. It is very painful to think how many rungs down the ladder their technological capabilities are going to be for some time. And that is assuming it will remain part of Ukraine...
Interesting observations although I don't see much similarity between the Helix and the GreenCult heads. I let the weight of the razor determine the shaving angle in that I allow the razor to do the work. There's no floating as far as I can tell. Unless you're referring to something else. The length of the handle is, to me, just fine. No concerns as to manoeuvring or ease of use. But then again, to each his own. You get used to each razors design, weight and possible idiosyncrasies. The Hone razor for example is a completely different beast as far as weight, design etc but shaves very similarly to the Helix as far as mildness and efficiency are concerned.

I too am surprised they managed to ship this out to you considering the circumstances.
It's a great looking razor, even the package looks like a collectable item.

I hope all is and ends well for your relatives and everyone else that got dragged into this hell against their will.

Enjoy your beautiful razor!

I too am surprised they managed to ship this out to you considering the circumstances.
It's a great looking razor, even the package looks like a collectable item.

I hope all is and ends well for your relatives and everyone else that got dragged into this hell against their will.

Enjoy your beautiful razor!
Thanx very much. It's a situation no one with any sense of humanity would ever be in favour of.

An update to my experiences with this razor. I flipped the base over to the "aggressive" side and what a pleasant surprise. Very efficient without irritation, weepers, etc. I'm going to be staying with this configuration and test driving various blades as well. My blade for this shave is a PolSilver which is one of my favourites. The next will be a Feather.
All the best to all of you.

I am from the south of Ukraine. Why are you surprised that the razor was sent without problems? We have an open economy like the US during WW2.

From our achievements at sea. We have sunk so much that not every maritime power can dream of it.

And this, mind you, our ships did not even leave the port. Only coastal artillery worked.

The Russian army lost 30% of its potential in 4 months, and almost 3 air armies. Today the Russians have left Serpent Island. The main problem of the Russian army is that Russia no longer has an army. All combat-ready units are rotting near Kyiv and my native Nikolaev. And what is now in the Russian troops is anything, but definitely not the army.

What's happened to Smart-Helix?
Are they still around?
The website hasn't worked in like over a month!

Top Bottom