What's new

Anyone understand the Omega numbering system?

Friends,

I finally ordered my 1st Omega after considerable internal debate. I wanted to try at least 1 of theirs, and since I'm adding a couple of synthetics, I just ordered one HI-BRUSH that WCS offers for about $20.

I've seen so many positive comments on their #10000+ "something" I became bumfuzzled and confused.

So for you experts out there, do these long numbers correspond to size, style, knots or whatever?

After extensive numerical investigation, I uncovered a disturbing correlation with the Mayan Calendar. However, since the world did not come to an end a couple of years ago, I suppose this correlation will also die a decidedly unprophetic death. Good luck with your search. The Truth Is Out There!

Omega engaged a university professor to provide the numbers:

$a-beautiful-mind1.jpg

I appreciate the info guys, I guess we'll all just have to live with their system as it stands. But I'm glad to discover I'm not the only one who couldn't make any sense out of it.

As a huge Omega Brush fan here is what I have found.

The numbers are not arbitrary and do have a meaning although the meaning is not that logical and doesn't always make sense and can't be applied across there whole line. It can be used to compare brushes that are already similar in knots or handles.

From what I have found.

Omega generally uses a 5 digit number. Ill call it ABCDE.
AB = Knot
CDE = Handle

81020, 81025, 81064, 81156 all have the same badger imitation boar knot with different handles.
10810 and 10081 also have the same knot but different handles. Now these handles are the same shape but different colors. One is black one is chrome. They both have the same digits but mixed up so I am not sure the reasoning for placement of the numbers to denote color.

But you also have brushes that come in different colors without different model numbers like the 10049.
Then you have brushes with the same first numbers with DIFFERENT knots. The 10049 and 10048. You would think it is just a chrome vs color handle but they are different knots. the 10048 is a bigger knot.

Also the synthetics now have a different numbering. They have a 7 digit and 5 digit number. For example.
014XXXX The 014 in the beginning means the Hi-Brush Synthetic Knot. The 4 numbers after are the handle. But for the synthetics they also call them by 4XXXX omitting the 01 in the beginning. So the 4 pertains to the Hi-Brush Knot. It also gets more confusing because the 4 numbers after that correspond to the handle can not be used when talking about a different knot like a boar.

So the 46081 (0146081) is a synthetic hi brush knot with a beehive handle. If you wanted that handle with a boar knot and tried to use logic you would assume that a 10081 is what you should buy. That is close though. It is a boar with the same handle but the handle is chrome and not black. You would actually want a 10810.

So to make a long story short, it makes no sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom