What's new

Any soaps you won't buy again?

Y'know that pic of a gnarly old lady with a cigarette that people use to joke about the scent of Tabac?
Is this the one?
e326cc6cac0e76b96ef47c2e808b5575.jpg

DR Harris. Yes, you heard me. I could not believe it. Always frothy airy lather from it. I grates in a bowl and now will try with synthetic. My only soap that cannot create a dense lather.

Speick shave stick and Arko. I like the scent of Speick but the lather is usually too thick and gunks up in my razor too easily.

I don't love the Arko scent but it lathers well.

Proraso Blue. Scent is meh, performance is good though.

Proraso green soap. The green cream kicks the soap’s butt up and down imo

C&S. Too expensive but the performance for me is just alright. I have cheaper soaps that conditioned my skin and performed so much better.

Arko, Cella, Conk - They're OK, but not in my upper tiers. Williams performs better and is cheaper.
Lightfoot - Scent is nice but it lathers poorly

I would not buy any of the col conk soaps again. Especially the lime, it smelled like dish soap and the performance was mediocre at best. Now that I've discovered so many nicer soaps it makes me wonder how I even used it
I was wondering about the Col Conk Lime. I was thinking to add it for my spring/summer collection. If I wanted dish soap I would steal a bottle from the kitchen!
Proraso Green and white, but I would buy the Red again.
I wasn't quite fond of the smell of the Red (Sandalwood). To me it just smelled to much like, what was the term I heard before, oh yeah smells like Grandma's purse. I gave it away to another shaver and he seems to like it. I wonder how my TOBS Sandalwood is going to smell compared to that one, gosh I hope it is not the same!
Arko
cade
arko
bathman
arko
tiki
arko
proraso puck
arko
b&m
arko
lass
arko
ogallala
arko
I see Arko didn't make your list. :302:

Last edited:
I was wondering about the Col Conk Lime. I was thinking to add it for my spring/summer collection. If I wanted dish soap I would steal a bottle from the kitchen!

I wasn't quite fond of the smell of the Red (Sandalwood). To me it just smelled to much like, what was the term I heard before, oh yeah smells like Grandma's purse. I gave it away to another shaver and he seems to like it. I wonder how my TOBS Sandalwood is going to smell compared to that one, gosh I hope it is not the same!

I see Arko didn't make your list. :302:

I have not used the Red Sandalwood before, but have used TOBS. I thought it smelled pretty good, but boy it is strong!!! One of my favorite scents of all time now is the Fine Santal Absolut which apparently is based on the Art Of Shaving Sandalwood. It's strong enough, the Sandalwood is there, but much lighter. I love it.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

I don't care for the scent of Proraso red (sandalwood) either. But some swear it is true sandalwood scent. Not to my nose...

Anyway, TOBS sandalwood is indeed different, but I found the sandalwood component underlying the more cologne scent of their version.

Ok, flame suit on. I know I am seriously in minority on this one but I can’t get my arms/nose around Grooming Dept.
Bought a tub of the original ( chocolatey?) Mallard from a B&Ber and he kindly included samples of Wonderland and Chypre Conifere. Unfortunately, to my nose, the base seems very muddy, earthy, maybe clay-like and I’ve been unable to get past that. So the duck will likely fly to a new home once I get my next “software” purge organized.

Col. Conk. Got a sample set from the big forest and haven’t even lathered them. They smell like jelly beans, not soap imo.

I think I have given up on TOBS Sandalwood when this puck is gone. I love the scent, but I can't get it to lather.

I have been having the same problem on my last couple of shaves. When I first started using TOBS Sandalwood soap puck I was so impressed with the lather and feel that I used it for every shave for a couple of weeks. Then I set it aside and started a small rotation of other soaps. Came back to TOBS last week and I cannot seem to get a decent lather anymore. My process hasn't changed and still works well with my other soaps, just not with the TOBS any longer. Can soaps change if not used for a month or more? I thought not, why would they, but now I am wondering. Can a soap just go bad?

Top Bottom