What's new

Any NCAA baseball fans on here?

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Without question, the biggest upset of the tournament thus far just happened....

Torres’ 9th-inning HR sends NC State into the College World Series, stunning No. 1 Arkansas
Top seed Arkansas will not be heading to Omaha. NC State delivered a gutpunch to the No. 1 team in the nation with its Game 3, 3-2 victory in Fayetteville.
NC State is headed to the College World Series for the second time in 53 years.
The deciding run came in the top of the ninth, when Jose Torres delivered a knockout solo home run to left field. The dinger ended Kevin Kopps' starting performance that saw him pitch eight innings, allowing three runs on seven hits, three walks and nine strikeouts.
NC State's pitching staff limited the Razorbacks to two runs and four hits.
The Wolfpack lost Game 1, 21-2. Today, the revenge is sweet.

Without question, the biggest upset of the tournament thus far just happened....

Torres’ 9th-inning HR sends NC State into the College World Series, stunning No. 1 Arkansas
Top seed Arkansas will not be heading to Omaha. NC State delivered a gutpunch to the No. 1 team in the nation with its Game 3, 3-2 victory in Fayetteville.
NC State is headed to the College World Series for the second time in 53 years.
The deciding run came in the top of the ninth, when Jose Torres delivered a knockout solo home run to left field. The dinger ended Kevin Kopps' starting performance that saw him pitch eight innings, allowing three runs on seven hits, three walks and nine strikeouts.
NC State's pitching staff limited the Razorbacks to two runs and four hits.
The Wolfpack lost Game 1, 21-2. Today, the revenge is sweet.
I realize that Kopps was Arkansas’ hoss, but asking him to pitch 8 innings on one day’s rest was stupid. Surely they had a number 3 starter! They had to to make it through the season.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
USF pitching is having trouble finding the strike zone and has walked in at least 2, maybe 3 runs.
Yeah I walked away from it. Even when I have no rooting interest in a game a pitcher who can't find the strike zone to the point that he's walking in runs just sets my teeth on edge. Was 8-3 in the 6th when I gave up, but I just saw that now UT is up 11-4.

Yeah I walked away from it. Even when I have no rooting interest in a game a pitcher who can't find the strike zone to the point that he's walking in runs just sets my teeth on edge. Was 8-3 in the 6th when I gave up, but I just saw that now UT is up 11-4.
USF pitching just threw a 6 pitch 8th inning. They have settled down, but I believe it’s too little too late.

EDIT: It appears I spoke too soon. The USF pitcher just issued two back to back walks. Zach Zubia then gets a base hit and drives in the lead off walk.

Last edited:
Texas is headed back to Omaha for a record 37th appearance. The most by far in NCAA history.

Congratulations to David Pearce and the Texas Longhorns.

Owen Bawn

Vandy won ugly last night. When Arizona knocked Rocker out in the 6th I thought it'd be an Arizona win. Glad I stayed with the game through all 12 innings, however. To win a championship a club's gotta win the ugly ones.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Vandy won ugly last night. When Arizona knocked Rocker out in the 6th I thought it'd be an Arizona win. Glad I stayed with the game through all 12 innings, however. To win a championship a club's gotta win the ugly ones.

I was proud they found a way to gut out a win despite Kumar not having his usual dominant performance. Arizona is a heck of a good team with arguably the best offense of any of the 8 teams represented. It was a great game.

Here's hoping we can survive the Wolfpack tomorrow night, those guys have been on an impressive hot streak.

Owen Bawn

I was proud they found a way to gut out a win despite Kumar not having his usual dominant performance. Arizona is a heck of a good team with arguably the best offense of any of the 8 teams represented. It was a great game.

Here's hoping we can survive the Wolfpack tomorrow night, those guys have been on an impressive hot streak.
I figured that with your 'Spahn & Sain & a day of rain' type of pitching rotation it would be vital that Vandy stay in the winner's bracket. Not much room for error. They gotta feel good that they picked Rocker up and scratched out the win.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I figured that with your 'Spahn & Sain & a day of rain' type of pitching rotation it would be vital that Vandy stay in the winner's bracket. Not much room for error. They gotta feel good that they picked Rocker up and scratched out the win.

Gosh yes. You've gotta love baseball. Such a true team sport. If I were independently wealthy or a retiree I would have made the trip to Omaha. I'd love to see the CWS in person one day. Also got the US Olympic swimming trials going on there at the same time. Pretty neat.

Owen Bawn

Gosh yes. You've gotta love baseball. Such a true team sport. If I were independently wealthy or a retiree I would have made the trip to Omaha. I'd love to see the CWS in person one day. Also got the US Olympic swimming trials going on there at the same time. Pretty neat.
I've been to baseball regionals, but never to Omaha. I bet it's a lot of fun. I've been to several Frozen Four hockey championships, and always had the time of my life. You get partisan fans cheering like heck for their team, but as they're the type of fans who will make the considerable effort to get to a nat'l championship tournament, they tend to be the people whose love for the game transcends whether their school is playing or not.

Different vibe than a football bowl game, which tend to be tribal in terms of fans' allegiance. At baseball & hockey championships you see people who love the game and appreciate seeing it played at this brilliant level.

A friend of mine used to go or very year. You just knew that during the two weeks around the CWS he was going to be there. It didn’t matter who was playing, he bought his tickets well in advance of the season end.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Many years ago my father was in a two week training in Omaha during the CWS. He mailed me ticket stubs with a note that read:Wish you were here.

That was it. Just the ticket Stubbs and the note.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Tip of the hat to the Wolfpack who had great pitching tonight to shut out the 'Dores. Losers bracket for Vandy now, got to play on Wednesday instead of getting that nice 3 days off until Friday. Oh well.... maybe they'll get another chance at NC St....

Top Bottom