What's new

What brand RAZOR did Oscar Wilde shave with?!

I am a fan of Oscar Wilde (largely for his literary genius; note my avatar and quote in signature!), his impact on society, his writings, and so on. Some parts of his relatively short life were not glamorous nor upstanding (no comment on his sexuality preference or rumors), but he absolutely made an impact on more than literary circles, and his witty comments (within a split second according to some historians) are genius.

In any event, he lived from 1854-1900 (a lot in the London-area given his theatrical/playwright works), though he is known as an "Irish playwright" born in Ireland, spoke fluent English, German and French and so on. BUT WHAT DID OSCAR WILDE SHAVE WITH; he always looks so dapper!

My *guess* is a Wilkinson straight razor. Any other guesses? Wilkinson (makers of full length swords in England) started dabbling (then more) in razors during part of Wilde's lifetime (then the holy Wilkinson "Made in England" blades). So, a Wilkinson straight razor was probably readily available to him and he traveled with it likely (BEFORE TSA!). Dublin Shaving Co came on the scene in 1907 (officially--so after his death), but I wonder if they were involved in shaving even though their main business was related to sawmills(!). Perhaps they saw a need? Wilde certainly traveled plenty, so who knows.

Then again, mom-and-pop straight razor companies may have existed, but I like to believe Oscar Wilde was sporting a Wilkinson in his travel bag! Importance of Being Earnest (1895--a mere five years before his death at 46 years of age) is usually ranked #1 for his writings, but The Picture of Dorian Gray (written in 1890, five years before the previously mentioned work). Dorian Gray is eerie if you "read into it" and there was a decent remake on film of it that is chilling if you read the book first (roughly 300 pages in average font; the #1 is roughly 200 pages---I wonder if he simply became more succinct as time went on; digression).

Two of the more famous, flamboyant photos of him (did he use a Wilkinson before these photo shoots?) WHAT RAZOR DID HE USE?!

Oscar_Wilde_3g07095u-adjust.jpg
Oscar_Wilde_(1854-1900)_188_unknown_photographer.jpg

"Either this wallpaper goes, or I go."

I'm given to understand those words, or similar, were Oscar Wilde's last words on his death bed.

That must've been some pretty bad wallpaper!

Like, if you look at it, the wallpaper plays some muzak version songs of The Captain and Toneil while you look at it.

But prior to the advent of safety razors, I don't know what individual shaving habits were like. Did people shave themselves? Or did they go to barbers, and the like? I recall reading that General Washington, upon taking command, was appalled by the behavior of New England militia that were encircling Boston. Appalled, I say! He personally witnessed a militia captain shaving the faces of his subordinate soldiers.

To Washington, this was conduct unbecoming of an officer!

Wilkinson eventually got into straight razors, I think, but their main business in the 19th century was armaments, as far as I know.

Sheffield was the center of cutlery manufacture in England and there were an awful lot of cutlers over the years, though it consolidated a lot in the second part of the 19th century. In Wilde's day self shaving was becoming more popular, evidenced by lovely matched razor sets for discerning gentlemen. But barbers were still doing an awful lot of shaving.

As far as brands, who knows. Maybe a Joseph Rodgers set like this. A Compact, Long Stay, SR Travel Kit - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-compact-long-stay-sr-travel-kit.637723/post-12176001

Or Thomas Turner, Nowill, Wostenholm...too many to list. Probably not a Wade and Butcher though, most of those were sent to the North American market.

Wilkinson eventually got into straight razors, I think, but their main business in the 19th century was armaments, as far as I know.
Yes, indeed Wilkinson was in the weapons business. I posted elsewhere today that they (forget the inventor's name) working at Wilkinson, invented the first rust-free stainless steel--but that was in early 1900s--because it was ruining their gun barrels!

Not sure about razors but Truefitt & Hill claims Wilde as one of its "clientele".
Good find! Of all the people listed on their site, there are VERY few who overlapped in years, and while Churchill technically did, he would have been only 20ish yrs old at the time near Wilde's death, so unlikely.

HOWEVER, Lord Gladstone was a well know British Statesman and politician in the UK. SURELY, Wilde with his wild (no pun intended) ideas and thoughts would have engaged Gladstone. I would like to think that Wilde was just looking for a "rise" out of Gladstone who likely did NOT take Wilde seriously. (Gladstone died in 1898, 2 years before Wilde (1900), but it would have been earlier anyway that the two would have crossed paths. I would like to imagine somewhere in the 1880s or so.

Good find!

Good find! Of all the people listed on their site, there are VERY few who overlapped in years, and while Churchill technically did, he would have been only 20ish yrs old at the time near Wilde's death, so unlikely.
Hello and welcome.

Churchill was 25 at the time of Wilde's death. He was at this point a national hero, having escaped Boer captivity during the opening stages of the war. His escape in 1900 ensured national celebrity.

He had been commisioned into the Hussars in 1895, and had participated in several military campaigns, including being part of the last ever British massed cavalry charge at the Battle of Omdurman in 1898.

By 1900 Churchill was a highly successful journalist and author with significant military experience throughout the Empire and as far afield as Cuba. After his escape in 1900 he was elected to parliament for the first time, beginning a rather notable political career.

Young Churchill enjoyed the finer things in life, from the finest champagnes and brandies, (which he took large quantities of on his campaigns and journalistic adventures) to the first semi automatic pistols. He carried a Mauser C96 when he was captured in 1899. Good shaving soap would have been an inevitable part of his assemblage.

Churchill used the Valet Autostrop safety razor for much of his life, as he had a love of new technology. Here is a later vingnette of Churchill, probably dating to the 1930's

"After getting out of bed, Winston “moves toward the bathroom with an alacrity surprising for his age and weight and quickly shaves himself with a safety razor while his valet draws the first of his two daily baths.” Churchill thoroughly enjoys soaking in the warm water, and lolls about, “reciting Kipling, rehearsing speeches or lectures he will soon deliver, or singing, not in the virile baritone familiar in Parliament, but in a soft, high tone.” After his bath, he puts on either a blue velvet dressing gown, or one made of green and gold silk with a dragon emblazoned on the front."

Last edited:
Churchill was 25 at the time of Wilde's death. He was at this point a national hero, having escaped Boer captivity during the opening stages of the war. His escape in 1900 ensured national celebrity.
Yes on Churchill being a potential client of the above named firm, BUT he was about 25 yrs old as you know around 1900, and Wilde spent the final few years of his life (1900) peniless in France, unfortunately. So, I doubt their paths crossed from 1895ish to 1900. Churchill was in Cuba, India and one other country from 1895 until 1900 or so (he was in school/training until 1895ish), thus likelihood of overlap seems unlikely

ANd BTW, Churchill began his training as a Cadet in 1893, which lasted all of two years in those days, before shipped off to several countries. I think he came back to UK in 1900, albeit young and hero-like, but by then Wilde was long since gone from London for a few years.

In
ANd BTW, Churchill began his training as a Cadet in 1893, which lasted all of two years in those days, before shipped off to several countries. I think he came back to UK in 1900, albeit young and hero-like, but by then Wilde was long since gone from London for a few years.
IOW, my money is on a Gladstone and Wilde happenstance meeting. 😁

Interestingly Jennie Churchill and Wilde were friends, and Winston appears to strongly admire Wilde.

Fascinating article here.

This Victorian Was a Secret Fan of Oscar Wilde. His Name? Winston Churchill. | History News Network - https://hnn.us/article/156185

Last edited:
I am a fan of Oscar Wilde (largely for his literary genius; note my avatar and quote in signature!), his impact on society, his writings, and so on. Some parts of his relatively short life were not glamorous nor upstanding (no comment on his sexuality preference or rumors), but he absolutely made an impact on more than literary circles, and his witty comments (within a split second according to some historians) are genius.

In any event, he lived from 1854-1900 (a lot in the London-area given his theatrical/playwright works), though he is known as an "Irish playwright" born in Ireland, spoke fluent English, German and French and so on. BUT WHAT DID OSCAR WILDE SHAVE WITH; he always looks so dapper!

My *guess* is a Wilkinson straight razor. Any other guesses? Wilkinson (makers of full length swords in England) started dabbling (then more) in razors during part of Wilde's lifetime (then the holy Wilkinson "Made in England" blades). So, a Wilkinson straight razor was probably readily available to him and he traveled with it likely (BEFORE TSA!). Dublin Shaving Co came on the scene in 1907 (officially--so after his death), but I wonder if they were involved in shaving even though their main business was related to sawmills(!). Perhaps they saw a need? Wilde certainly traveled plenty, so who knows.

Then again, mom-and-pop straight razor companies may have existed, but I like to believe Oscar Wilde was sporting a Wilkinson in his travel bag! Importance of Being Earnest (1895--a mere five years before his death at 46 years of age) is usually ranked #1 for his writings, but The Picture of Dorian Gray (written in 1890, five years before the previously mentioned work). Dorian Gray is eerie if you "read into it" and there was a decent remake on film of it that is chilling if you read the book first (roughly 300 pages in average font; the #1 is roughly 200 pages---I wonder if he simply became more succinct as time went on; digression).

Two of the more famous, flamboyant photos of him (did he use a Wilkinson before these photo shoots?) WHAT RAZOR DID HE USE?!

View attachment 1774996 View attachment 1774997
He could have used a Mappin & Webb razor and Pears soap?
It seems he reacted badly to the prison barber when he was in Pentonville.

Attachments

• 195195F1-8479-4185-B655-78BCFFC15857-30643-000002AB0556653B 3.jpg
    195195F1-8479-4185-B655-78BCFFC15857-30643-000002AB0556653B 3.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 222C0330-F658-408E-8974-E911F773E945-31089-000003450B177C9E 2.jpg
    222C0330-F658-408E-8974-E911F773E945-31089-000003450B177C9E 2.jpg
    587.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 42FEFF53-C0BA-489E-AB6C-FDDCC415FFB8-31089-0000034514A144B0.jpg
    42FEFF53-C0BA-489E-AB6C-FDDCC415FFB8-31089-0000034514A144B0.jpg
    1,013.9 KB · Views: 32
The account is sad to me, really.

I didn't really expect to learn this much about Wilde through his shaving.
Sigh. True.

I believe Pentonville is still functional today, though not the “same” as back then. I think they were known for executing over 100 inmates during the beginning of the twentieth century? Yikes.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Yes, indeed Wilkinson was in the weapons business. I posted elsewhere today that they (forget the inventor's name) working at Wilkinson, invented the first rust-free stainless steel--but that was in early 1900s--because it was ruining their gun barrels!

Harry Brearley?

He didn't work for Wilkinson, and Wilkinson never made gun barrels.
He worked for Firths Browns, or whatever they were called back then.
He wasn't even trying to create a rust free steel. That was a complete fluke.
He was trying to improve wear resistance at high temperatures.

There's a local urban myth that scrapped jobs got lobbed in the River Don on the nightshift, and it was low river levels that revealed the still shiny steel. Utter nonsense. The building he worked in isn't even on the river bank.

As for Wilde, I dare say someone of his flamboyance, would have considered shaving his face to be somebody else's job.

Harry Brearley?

He didn't work for Wilkinson, and Wilkinson never made gun barrels.
He worked for Firths Browns, or whatever they were called back then.
He wasn't even trying to create a rust free steel. That was a complete fluke.
He was trying to improve wear resistance at high temperatures.

There's a local urban myth that scrapped jobs got lobbed in the River Don on the nightshift, and it was low river levels that revealed the still shiny steel. Utter nonsense. The building he worked in isn't even on the river bank.

As for Wilde, I dare say someone of his flamboyance, would have considered shaving his face to be somebody else's job.
For some reason, my posting (?) was quoted even though I never mentioned Brearley, though, yes, he was a famous British metallurgist. (Harry Brearley - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Brearley). He *is* credited with, as Wikipedia writes "the invention of "rustless steel" (later to be called "stainless steel" in the anglophone world). HOWEVER, I never stated (his name) nor that he worked for Wilkinson. I wish I had bookmarked the article (agree that doesn't mean it is true just because it's on the internet) that discussed the Wilkinson company (source needed) was involved in manufacturing weapons and one of its workers (inventor--once more, genuinely forgetting his name) came up with a rust-free gun barrel.

However, rust-free stainless steel goes to Brearley. (And NO, no mention of Norman Wilkinson (coincidental name) who served in the Royal Navy in WW I.). The History of Stainless Steel | Great Plains Stainless - https://www.gpss.com/history-of-stainless-steel/#:~:text=Rustless%20Steel,barrels%20of%20the%20British%20army : "Harry Brearley invented the first true stainless steel in 1913. He added 12.8% chromium to iron, and produced a metal that he found was resistant to both corrosion and rust. Brearley discovered this metal while looking for a solution to the problem of erosion in the gun barrels of the British army."

You are correct (maybe) in that "Wilkinson Sword" never made gun barrels, but wait! Henry Nock (another British inventor) founded a gun manufacturing company in the late 1700s. THAT company, while not called "Wilkinson" (yet), produced MANY different kinds of goods: typewriters, swords, bayonets, garden tools, scissors, etc.

I think the potential confusion is that when Nock died in early 1800s, his "adopted" son-in-law, James Wilkinson, supposedly inherited the company and, naturally, renamed it James Wilkinson & Son, which eventually became Wilkinson Sword Co in the 1890s (and yes, went on to produce blades, right?). There is no doubt that Nock's company was the beginning of the Wilkinson Sword company that would eventually produce great blades.

Soooooooooo, you are correct (somewhat; gentlemanly-like, agree to disagree on some minor points, please):

"Harry Brearley? He didn't work for Wilkinson (agree), and Wilkinson never made gun barrels" (not quite true since they DID make guns (Nock founded the company on this basis) and all kinds of other equipment, as is well documented in many places)
"He worked for Firths Browns, or whatever they were called back then. He wasn't even trying to create a rust free steel. That was a complete fluke. He was trying to improve wear resistance at high temperatures."
"There's a local urban myth that scrapped jobs got lobbed in the River Don on the nightshift, and it was low river levels that revealed the still shiny steel. Utter nonsense." I completely agree; IDK where you got this from, but yes, it's nonsense.​

REGARDLESS, some people still love Wilkinson blades to this date, even if they let the competition fly past them.

Oscar Wilde

Oh! As for Wilde? Such wit and genius; certainly in his literature prime. Undoubtedly, he had extraordinary flamboyance (just look at the historical photos (for instance, my avatar of him!) during his heyday (1885-1895, oddly enough, 1895 was the same year he went to prison and also the same year in which The Importance of Being Earnest was first performed at the famous St. James Theatre in London,

HOWEVER, fast forward: he died penniless in France in 1900, after having spent time two years in prison that concluded in mid-1897 (so, prison from 1895-1897 or so). When he was up-and-coming in the (late) 1880s and in his prime early-mid 1890s of writing high brow literature, he likely (maybe) had others tend to most of his grooming, but that would have waned by the time he was entering prison, shunned for gross indecency at the time in society.

As an aside, Wilde's best work, IMHO, is Picture of Dorian Gray (first a novella in 1890, before a longer novel in 1891), though most rank that behind Importance of Being Earnest. Actually, Dorian Gray was really his *only* novel, as I believe he wrote Importance of Being Earnest as a play in the fist place, not a novel.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom