What's new

Titanium Shield Avenger (AC2) Surpassed my Expectations

I picked up this razor before entering the restraint and used it for the first time yesterday.

Having never tried anything in titanium before, I figured this was a cheap way to do it. I also fancied having an option for AC blades when I am not using a shavette.

As a fan of heavier razors, I wasn't sure if I would like it. Well, this thing is great!

With a gap of 1.15 and 0.12 exposure, you might expect it to be a little on the aggressive side, but it's not at all. I loaded a Feather Pro, and even though this is a blade with a reputation for being a little harsh on the first use, I found the razor very forgiving, whilst also being delightfully efficient.

The AC blade coped with the difficult ATG pass on my jawline very well. All but the sharpest of DE blades can give me irritation there due to tugging and chatter, and sometimes I have to skip the pass altogether. The thicker AC blade stock, coupled with a relatively short clamp distance of the razor head, meant that the Shield sailed through that tricky growth with no tugging and no dramas - it was so easy it took me by surprise. Overall, it was a pleasant and comfortable DFS++ in two passes and minimal touch ups.

If I had to find something to criticise, I would say that the blade retention nubs on the baseplate could be a little taller and countersunk further into the cap. Talk about splitting hairs. It's difficult to find fault in a CNC titanium razor that costs around £58 ($73). When you consider that the obvious "market leading" titanium AC razor would cost close to £380 ($483) on this side of the pond, the Shield looks like incredible value for money. Its shaving performance would be great at any price.

How do I feel about the titanium? Well, overall I think I prefer heavier stainless steel, but it's not a dealbreaker by any means. Shield are now offering stainless steel as well, although this particular model is only offered in titanium. From what I hear, they are phasing it out so that their only AC option will be the AC1, which looks like more of a Vector clone. If you prefer a larger head like this one, get it whilst you still can.

I apologise for the crappy light in my bathroom, but here are some pics.

20240122_120048.jpg

20240122_120030.jpg

I know there are quite a few fans of the Predator here, which is the Shield GEM razor. I would say that if you like that one and are curious about the AC model then take the plunge, I would be very surprised if you don't enjoy it. I am looking forward to tomorrow's shave with great anticipation!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I think their ads warn against the Schick Proline in narrow head, but the one you bought should be able to hold Schick Proline P-series blades and Schick Proline B-series blades.

Really great razor. Paired with a Pro Super, the shave is efficient and smooth as can be.

I was wondering if I was the only person who had tried one! I don't have any Pro Supers but when I eventually restock AC blades I intend to get some.

The shaves from the Avenger have got me thinking about how it might compare to other popular AC offerings...I have to admit, I came close to bombing out of GRUYERE today with an order for another AC razor to try, but I managed to resist.

I figured that the Avenger is going to be hard to top, so it wasn't worth failing the restraint (yet), although the struggle is definitely real. I am still curious to know how this one stacks up against other popular AC razors, if anyone has the experience to make some comparisons.

Against the other 3 I have:

RX-V2 - the RX-V2 is a lot heavier, and very efficient. More efficient than the Shield. Decent learning curve required but once you dial it in, it gives a superb shave. As some (I don’t recall who to credit) have said, it’s the closest to a straight on a stick you can get. Kai Captain only - the super would be too much.

SS Vector - I use supers in the Vector for the extra efficiency but the Kai Captains work very well too. Really an entirely different shave experience given the incredibly small footprint for the head. Very smooth and efficient as well. About as efficient as the Shield, maybe a bit less.

Hawk V3A - not nearly as efficient as the Shield, and I find it very mild. Typical for RR, you have to ride the cap. Supers only in this one.

Hawk V3A - not nearly as efficient as the Shield, and I find it very mild. Typical for RR, you have to ride the cap. Supers only in this one.

Thanks for the comparisons. :thumbup1:

I am surprised even the A isn't as efficient as the Shield! I was thinking the regular Hawk would be the obvious "next step" for a stainless AC razor, but it sounds like that would be far too mild for me. Grateful for the heads up!

I was also wondering about the Stando Jaga, but it sounds like I should look at the Asylum too.

Got a link to purchase one. The idea of using AC and injector blades is very appealing.
You need to copy & paste this link:

aliexpress.us/item/3256805626263882.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

then select --> Color: HEAD ACSE this should be the second from the left on the top row

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Against the other 3 I have:

RX-V2 - the RX-V2 is a lot heavier, and very efficient. More efficient than the Shield. Decent learning curve required but once you dial it in, it gives a superb shave. As some (I don’t recall who to credit) have said, it’s the closest to a straight on a stick you can get. Kai Captain only - the super would be too much.

SS Vector - I use supers in the Vector for the extra efficiency but the Kai Captains work very well too. Really an entirely different shave experience given the incredibly small footprint for the head. Very smooth and efficient as well. About as efficient as the Shield, maybe a bit less.

Same observation here with my V3A, NEEDS the Super to shave effectively for me, I'd even use a Super-Super if one existed. It does shave well for me, but it could use a little more.

Hopefully RR addresses that in a V4.

Same observation here with my V3A, NEEDS the Super to shave effectively for me, I'd even use a Super-Super if one existed. It does shave well for me, but it could use a little more.

Hopefully RR addresses that in a V4.
Yeah, not the most efficient shave but with the super you can definitely get the job done. Frustrating since it has the other hallmark of RR razors; incredibly smooth. It’s a travel razor for me.

I have found that the Yaqi Katana accepts injector blades as well. Makes a terrible razor into something that performs well! Well enough to save me the $80 to pick up a TI razor head at least.

Top Bottom