What's new

Any NCAA baseball fans on here?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Did you see the women’s CWS? Both teams in the finals came out of the losers bracket.
And in the WCWS if you're in the loser's bracket you get to play up to 3 games in a day. FSU played in a rain delayed game that ended at 2.30 AM local time and then had to come back and play two the following day starting at noon in 100 degree heat.

I get that a softball pitcher can throw 300 pitches in a day and then sometimes even pitch again the next day, but the idea that you can ride one arm to the WCWS championship is really old school thinking. Most of these teams now have 2 or 3 pitchers. The use of video and other technology makes it almost impossible for a girl to pitch effectively to the same lineup 5 or 8 times. She might still have her best stuff in the late innings of a doubleheader, but her best stuff no longer matters... the hitters have seen everything she's got by that time, they've got their timing down, and they're ready to tee off. Plus how effective are hitters and fielders after playing for 5 or 6 straight hours in the heat of the day in Oklahoma?

I often roll my eyes at some of the 'equity' arguments I see people make. But the NCAA's treatment of men vs women athletes remains unfair. The WCWS follows the exact same format as the the CWS, but the whole thing happens in 6 days, while the CWS is spread over 2 full weeks.

The Commodores and the Cardinals are playing a mistake filled game. If Vandy doesn’t straighten up, they will be on the next bus to Nashville.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Wow. Gotta feel for the kids. Even the Vandy kids, who deserve to compete fairly against a legit opponent.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
They could have called it at any time. Why did they wait? Frustrating if you are on the Miss St. end but great if you are on the Horn end.
And just for complete disclosure my oldest did choose UT Austin as her safe school when applying for college and high school buddies and romances did attend there.
I chose the school of hard knocks!
Graduated valedictorian!!

Top Bottom