What's new

Announcing the Brotherhood Of Tallow Shave Soaps - BOTSS

Why is there no more Yardley except for old stock? It's generally considered one of the best ever. I would think someone would come out with it's duplicate.

Hi,

Ah. Yes. Those that think not using animal byproducts will result in saved animals. However, I raise a few cattle. For meat on my table. I am going to raise and, yes, kill, a certain number as the years go by. That is a given. Now, as I do this, I wind up with leftover things I can't eat. So, I make things out of it. Leather. Boot oil. Soap. Etc. Then I take the results to the county fair and sell them.

If you don't buy my soap, and it builds up, that fact will not stop me from doing in the next animal when my freezer runs low. I will just scrap the leftovers by digging another hole with that bulldozer you see me sitting on in my avatar and burying it. That is a waste, and I don't like wasting perfectly good material like that.

If I knew a formula for Yardley, I would make it myself! :thumbup1:

However, my soap most closely resembles Ivory. Beef fat and wood stove ash. Not shaving soap. I shall have to do a little digging and see just what I need to do to make shaving soap instead of tractor grease removing soap!

Stan

I am a newbie and this is my first post. I read the first few pages of this thread, and being totally uninformed about shaving soaps, and tallow soaps in particular, I was unsure about joining BOTSS. But after reading a previous post, warning me of the Vast Vegan Conspiracy, I will not hesitate to enlist. THEY might be watching us, but they are all big Wussies. I have no fear.

All my favorite soaps are all tallow based; Mitchell's Wool Fat, Tabac and Cella.

Mike's Natural Soaps and Martin de Candre are next on my list. Also trying to get my hands on some Monsavon and Ralph Lauren Safari.

Tallow for me baby. But I don't have a rotation or a stock of soaps. I use Mikes Natural and that's it. One bar/tin at a time.

:thumbup1:

Good for you, however, this is not a risk I was willing to take. I bought P160 and that's now gone. I bought all the Yardley I could get since that's gone. I love AOS tallow and was happy I stockpiled because that's soon to be off the shelves and difficult to obtain.

Never tried Mikes and don't plan to given how many soaps I now own. The idea of falling in love with a soap and it being discontinued was enough to get me to hoard them. I'm now lucky I did. Plenty of years of tallow-y goodness.

Hi,

I keep looking for Yardley. All I see is priced up there with Gold Red Dot Toggles! :blink:

I guess the guys with 20 bowls each have bled that market pretty dry. Oh, well. One day, someone will say: Buy X as it is as close to Yardley as one can get. And I will buy X.

Right now, I have a deal cooking that might get me something vintage and tallow and might be a good choice compared to Yardley. Or, at least, something interesting enough to trade to those guys for some Yardley. :blush:

Stan

Edit: and, if it works out, I can add BOTSS to my bottom line, too! Right now, I have no tallow at all....:crying:

Hi,

I keep looking for Yardley. All I see is priced up there with Gold Red Dot Toggles! :blink:

I guess the guys with 20 bowls each have bled that market pretty dry. Oh, well. One day, someone will say: Buy X as it is as close to Yardley as one can get. And I will buy X.

Right now, I have a deal cooking that might get me something vintage and tallow and might be a good choice compared to Yardley. Or, at least, something interesting enough to trade to those guys for some Yardley. :blush:

Stan

Edit: and, if it works out, I can add BOTSS to my bottom line, too! Right now, I have no tallow at all....:crying:

as a note, get your hands on wrisleys. if I recall correctly they are pretty much the same thing. I have 3 or 4 bowls and I dont detect difference. I heard they were made by same people but I coukd be wrong. it can be had for less than yardley. I wouldnt pay over 70 for any soap and havent done so for my 6 or 7 bowls of Yardley. you pretty much have to be on the prowl. some other tips are to search for old soaps. the yardley containers are easy to spot if you know what you're looking for. you can get for cheaper if seller doesnt identify it as yardley. I got one ofmine like that for 9 dollars with puck pretty much unused.

im out of the yardley hunt since I have a lot. good luck with your search.

Hi,

A wonderful pointer, thank you. I have been searching a couple categories with no keywords daily looking for the un, or mis, identified Yardley. I did not know about wrisleys, so would have scanned right past it.

Stan

Yes count me in as a BOTSS member. I really enjoy tallow soaps. Although I do enjoy M. de C. and Tabula Rasa veggies. Right now I am enjoying RRock Mudder Focker and D.R . Harris Arlington. Seems like the great tallows are disappearing. Has anyone compiled a list of available top quality tallow shaving soaps?

Hi,

Well, I have some NOS Oster soap pucks for the model 222 Latherservice barbershop machine coming. That was the version that used a motorized brush on a soap puck to generate the lather, not the more common version that used liquid soap. I will see how it does with a manual brush.

Stan

I love Tabac and MWF. Tabac was WAY easier to learn to lather, but once I got MWF dialed in, it rocks. You go on YouTube, and everyone has a different method to lather the Fat. The way I lather it is thus: use an extremely hot scuttle, load the brush and squeeze the loaded soap into the scuttle. Reload the brush and whip into bowl. If the mix needs more water, add 5-10 drops. The mix will be thin and airy while in the hot scuttle. About 10 seconds after you remove the brush from the scuttle, the lather will cool and thicken up dramatically.

I'm in, tallow is the only way to go. Currently running through some MWS samples, awaiting my MNS samples, and compiling a list of my preferred scents.

I've tried a few creams then got hooked on soaps. I PIFed my partial tube of C O Bigelo and Creamo to get a younger person started. I have discovered tallow soaps just give me a better shave. I've stocked some Stirling, Cella, a stick of Tabac, which has prompted orders for others including Mikes, Mystic Waters, D R Harris(Arlington). My first soap was SRD Frankincense which is very good and I'll keep but doesn't hold a candle to tallow soaps. So please count me in the Brotherhood!

Top Bottom