What's new

Which Shaving Soaps still contain Tallow?

Ok, i’ll bite. What does ‘easier to saponify’ mean, and why does it make a difference? Not bing flippant, just want to understand the reason why this makes a difference.

And why would ’easier to saponify’ make any difference in the end product given that the soap maker knows their stuff?

Maybe ‘harder to saponify’ yields a superior product? There is some evidence to support this, like non-tallow SV, MdC, Acqua di Parma, ABC, SMN, and almost every cream in existence.
I would be the last person to say tallow is superior. It just is easier to create a decent soap. Hence there are lots of people who gravitate towards making soap with tallow.

I have no dog in this fight and also don't know the first darn thing about saponification. However, after using many different soaps, I've found that tallow based soaps perform very good to great at a higher rate than non-tallow soaps. And within brands that offer both tallow and non-tallow variants, I usually prefer the tallow.

Good tallow soaps also seem to be cheaper than good non-tallow soaps, in my experience. However, both SV and Abbatte Y La Mantia hard soap perform as well as any tallow I've used and they are both vegetable based.

As always, ymmv.
It has more to do with the fatty acids in tallow. It has palmitic acid 25% and stearic acid 15%. These are the most important fatty acids that give you the nice lather that we desire for wet shaving. Most non tallow soaps use pure stearic acid and it generates very nice dense lather as well. Personally I cannot tell the difference. Maybe it has more to do with the un-saponified tallow and that is gives you better post-shave feeling. I really cannot tell.

Who knew this was going to morph into tallow vs veggie debate?

proxy.php

[...] what is the advantages/disadvantages in having tallow in the soap formula?
This topic has been discussed extensively before on Badger&Blade. I am sure you have all good intents, but I strongly encourage that people don't indulge in that debate yet again here. If you search B&B, you will both find a lot of interesting and knowledgeable input on the topic, and a lot of brainless dog-fighting between people that do/don't like tallow and enjoy having opinions about it.
Lets try to stay clear of the latter here, shall we, Gentlemen..? This thread was started with the specific and simple intent of creating an overview of tallow based shaving soaps still in production. Could we please stick to that ...?

Last edited:
On the same site (whatsinmyjar.com), when searching for "tallow", I find a few more brands of shaving soap containing tallow that I am not familiar with, "Nobel Otter" being one that I have heard of, but not tried. Depending how "esoteric" you want to go, you could include those on the list too.

Q: Which Shaving Soaps still contain Tallow?
A: Surely not Speick stick. Sorry for that bit of news.
I am just referring to the list I cited. It has "Potassium tallowate" as the third ingredient for the Speick stick. Whether that listing has been updated recently, I don't know. So I guess it is important to have a discriminating eye to the quality of the sources of information. I don't have a new stick of Speick at home in its cardboard box with the ingredients listed on it.
I don't have a strong desire for or against putting the Speick stick on the list, but I wonder where you get the information from that Speick does not contain tallow ...?

Help, Neo, help!!!
Our tallow ship is burning and the Sentinels are on the prowl. Again. All they need is the list. Sentinels are coming. Neo, we need you man...

Q: Which Shaving Soaps still contain Tallow?
A: Surely not Speick stick. Sorry for that bit of news.

I think the operative word here is "still". And that, I believe, would mean an immediate disqualification of the above.
But, I might be wrong, as I have been wrong before. Many times.

Speick Men Shaving Soap - Speick Naturkosmetik - https://www.speick.de/en/products/productdetails/men-shaving-soap.html
Sorry, I overlooked that link you included. Indeed, no tallow there. I suggest Speick stick is "paused" on the list until further evidence is available.

I'm a fan of Stirling's Sheep shaving soap and the rest of their tallow-based soap products. As I understand it, tallow is a by-product of the meat industry, which still seems to be going strong. Isn't it better to use all the by-products of the meat industry rather than just let them rot and fester unused otherwise?

Sorry, I overlooked that link you included. Indeed, no tallow there. I suggest Speick stick is "paused" on the list until further evidence is available.
The old Speick stick had tallow, the new formulation does not. I have and use both, and they are both excellant performers.

Top Bottom