What's new

Alum Block vs Styptic Pencil

I am still new to wet shaving, and while experimenting with new products, I often get nicks, cuts, razor burns, and etc. I was thinking it was time for me to invest my money in an Alum Block or a Styptic Pencil. The problem is that they seem so similar in uses, i cannot decipher between the two. I was wondering what should I get for my purpose, any information would be helpful.

Last edited:

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I've always had a styptic pencil for decades of shaving; They are available everywhere. I never heard of alum blocks until I joined B&B.

This is it. I tried the alum block and didn't really like it, but lots of guys here love them. YMMV.

Alum block works well for razor burns and minor weepers. Styptic pencils work better for bigger bloodier mistakes. I always run an alum block over my face after every shave. I love the slight tingle feedback it gives me. Having both is a pretty good idea and both are fairly inexpensive.

There is a powder but it's used instead of stitches in case of emergency on medium cuts. Unfortunately I can't find how it's called in english.

Yes, you can buy styptic powder from any number of places, but I've never kept it around. I do keep and use both an alum rock for irritation, and a styptic pencil for nicks. Never bothered with the powder. That stuff is meant for semi-major cuts and what not.

I've always had a styptic pencil for decades of shaving; They are available everywhere. I never heard of alum blocks until I joined B&B.

+1. A styptic pencil is a shaving essential, unless you never get nicks. I don't get many, but it's nice to have the styptic available when I do.

Alum blocks, not so much. Tried it and massively disliked how it made my face feel. YMMV.

My wife and I were talking about styptic powder the other day. She nicked herself while shaving her legs and was looking for my styptic pencil. I was out of town and had taken it with me. So she used a little of the powder that we had on hand for our dogs when we trim their nails. She said it worked just fine.

Don

I suppose ill get both and try them out, like stated above, it probably is one of those YMMV things.

Styptic comes in various forms including a stick, powder, liquid in a device that is meant to be broken and then applied, liquid in small bottles, etc. The problem with the powder is that it comes in a small tube and when I tried to use it either it gets stuck in the tube or if I hit it too hard too much comes out. The liquid in the small device is expensive and can dry up if not used. The liquid in a small bottle or stick are what I prefer.

Styptic comes in various forms including a stick, powder, liquid in a device that is meant to be broken and then applied, liquid in small bottles, etc. The problem with the powder is that it comes in a small tube and when I tried to use it either it gets stuck in the tube or if I hit it too hard too much comes out. The liquid in the small device is expensive and can dry up if not used. The liquid in a small bottle or stick are what I prefer.
Thanks! Learned something new :001_smile

I tried an alum block, but found out my skin type isn't compatible with it...caused my face and neck to turn bright red which lasted for quite some time. I'm better off just using an aftershave, which will still cause a little redness when applied, but quickly fades.

I currently do not have a styptic pencil in my inventory; always made it a goal to not need one...altho I've had a couple minor goofs that made me question that decision. :lol:

I tried an alum block, but found out my skin type isn't compatible with it...caused my face and neck to turn bright red which lasted for quite some time. I'm better off just using an aftershave, which will still cause a little redness when applied, but quickly fades.

I currently do not have a styptic pencil in my inventory; always made it a goal to not need one...altho I've had a couple minor goofs that made me question that decision. :lol:
Sorry to hear that. I think I'm still going to get both to see how they fair.

Since I started using an alum block all over my face after shaving I've had a reduction of shaving "bumps" and weepers. Might be that's it's disinfecting my skin better.

Top Bottom