What's new

New to B&B and wet-shaving

You have a fine razor in the 34c. You don’t say which of the million different Personnas you have; the Lab Blues work best on most faces.

Don’t buy anything else. Shave with what you have for 6 months. Develop good technique. If you aren’t getting great shaves in 6 months, practice for another 6 months. Repeat.

Avoid buying stuff. It won’t help. Without good technique no hardware will solve the issue. There’s a lot of pressure to buy stuff on B&B but more stuff will not bring better shaves.

You have everything you need now. Practice.
Absolutely! Due to ignorance of the massive variety of Personna blades, I ordered the comfort coated. They've been great but I'm feeling the need to swap them out after the third shave. My plan is to stick with my current equipment and work on technique for most of the year before getting anything new.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
This will be the best “you time” you can get.

It’s an inexpensive hobby until you start dumping money on high-end razors and crushes, but, you’ve given yourself time to work on technique while you continue researching. Great plan!

This is the place to be, by the way. Tons of helpful info, knowledgable members, links, forums on everything… can’t ask for more.

You have a fine razor in the 34c. You don’t say which of the million different Personnas you have; the Lab Blues work best on most faces.

Don’t buy anything else. Shave with what you have for 6 months. Develop good technique. If you aren’t getting great shaves in 6 months, practice for another 6 months. Repeat.

Avoid buying stuff. It won’t help. Without good technique no hardware will solve the issue. There’s a lot of pressure to buy stuff on B&B but more stuff will not bring better shaves.

You have everything you need now. Practice.
What he said.

Welcome to a new dimension!
You've officially entered the worm hole 🪱🕳️
🫠
I weakened and fell a bit into the worm hole. After reading on online review, I bought a sample of Murphy & McNeil's Trinity shave soap. OMG this stuff is slick as snail snot and I got my best shave yet. I was good with my Viking Revolution pucks but now I know what I'm missing out on. I know gentlemenly restraint is the right thing to do, but it's getting hard.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I weakened and fell a bit into the worm hole. After reading on online review, I bought a sample of Murphy & McNeil's Trinity shave soap. OMG this stuff is slick as snail snot and I got my best shave yet. I was good with my Viking Revolution pucks but now I know what I'm missing out on. I know gentlemenly restraint is the right thing to do, but it's getting hard.
And so it begins 😄.

Welcome and I really enjoyed your first post! Beware the rabbit holes and enjoy the journey!

I would quibble with this sentiment just a little bit, particularly with respect to razors and blades. Some hardware just won't work well for some beard characteristics.

In my case, there are some very highly regarded razors that don't work well on my neck where I have thick whiskers that lay flat against the skin along with a swirl growth pattern. I've found that most razors that don't securely clamp down on the blade near the cutting edge tend to result in blade chatter and irritation in that area.

That's not to say you have to buy an expensive razor to solve that problem (a $20 fatip piccolo works well for me), just that sometimes some hardware isn't suited to particular beard types, and that a change in hardware can make a difference in quality of shave with no changes to technique.

Same goes for blades. Feathers tend to nick me unexplainably, but others love them. 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom