23) Kingfisher
24) Black-Tie
25) Bonbon
26) J-wall
27) rudygu
28) hopper_64
29)
30)

Thanks, Gentlemen, for getting Adjustable April started @Clouds and @bonbon! :a50:

To all participants: I'd like to emphasize it's awesome to have you all in!
I'm really looking forward to seeing/reading your contributions 🤩

Crank 'em up!

Cheers
Guido

PS I'll be back later today...👍

Last edited:
Cream: Barbasol
Razor/Blade:
Head - 1908 Single Ring w/ 1926? Gillette 3 hole blade
Face/Neck - 1908 Single ring w/ 1926? Gillette 3 hole blade
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - Avon Blue Blazer
Head/Neck - Avon Blue Blazer
full

Head shave 8/10
Face shave 7/10
The cream 3/10
The Aftershave 10/10
The Experience 🚀/10

Too the moon Alice! Kicked off Vintage April and Adjustable April during USA week and King Gillette Weekend! Decided to go all out on this one with as vintage and USA as possible. I didn't have a vintage cream but Barbasol as a brand is Vintage enough for me and still made in the USA. At least the can says that. Everything else was very Vintage and very much made in the US.

Only got 2 weepers on the head and 3 on the face. Not bad for a blade almost 100 years old. That was my first time using a vintage blade and didn't realize how stiff they were. As soon as the top cap hit the blade there was a very noticeable spring like resistance.

I twisted back a 1/4 turn for the sides of my face and went at it. I didn't know what to expect but holy cow it can shave! Was fine going WTG but ATG it tugged A LOT.

Snugged the blade back down for the neck and went super slow here. I pulled my skin as tight as I could and went WTG as much as humanly possible. Still got lots of tugged as my hair grows every which way around my neck. But I got through with a couple weepers.

I went ahead and twisted back an 1/8 turn to get under the nose and attack the chin wires. WTG and XTG on the nose. I should have stuck with just WTG as XTG hurt like heck and drew one more tiny weeper. The chin I went WTG and ATG with no drama besides lots of tugging.

For the head I went slooooooow. Pulled my skin tight and snugged the blade down. WTG, XTG and said that was good enough. Surprisingly, only got two weepers that weren't bad at all.

Will I ever do this again? Nope, probably not. But that was one heck of a fun experience.

Last edited:
Hi guys

I didn't sign up because I'm trying to stay away from here. I lack the power to resist buying stuff I am comfronted with daily. So I'm trying to go cold turkey. But I just realised it was april 1st and happened to chose an adjustable, so my mind wondered off to Guido as it so often d.... Wait, what?

Anyway

Gibbs Heritage inspired razor (5-4-N)
Dorco st-300
Paa the cube pre
Captain Fawcett's scapicchio
Tobs pure badger xl
AV blue as

full

Adjustable April - Day 1

And off we go again...

In course of this year's AA I'll switch razors twice a week to experiment a bit with the settings of my adjustable razors. Thus I'll do up to three shaves with each razor...

Basically, I still haven't decided if I enjoy a higher setting better in the first pass /wtg and a lower setting in the second pass/atg - or the other way round. I'll do some testing.

20230401_105004-01-01-01-01.jpeg

Anyway, I kicked off Adjustable April with my trustworthy Pearl Flexi... two passes (setting 4 wtg, setting 2 atg) and some touchups on setting 1 made for an effortless BBS shave. No nicks. No irritation. Very nice.

Crashing the party, didn't think I would be able to do the full month.

Yaqi TFC
Rapira Swedish Supersteel

20230401_075832.jpg

Custom handle made by @Clouds this was the first shave since receiving it. Grip is much improved and balances it out a little more. Nice blade feel, which I prefer. Set to 5 for the first atg pass, but also tried 1. 1 doesn't feel as close or smooth so jumped past 6 to 1. Super close 2 pass shave but had to do touch ups on the neck.
Nice shaving razor that is also really inexpensive.

How are the shaves with the Heritage Gibbs replica? Asking for a friend
I like it quite a bit. It's smooth but there's blade feel on all settings above N.
Even on three it's got a great efficiency going on. I'm pretty sure I can finish an entire shave on it and end up bbs, but then I'd miss some blade feel.
It is less aggressive than a Rex Ambassador but less efficient than your beloved Konsul on 6. Perhaps because of the weight difference?

You might remember I grossly overpaid this razor, despite getting the pre-ordering reduction fee. I had like 30 or 40 euro's worth of shipping and another hefty sum in custom, tax and handling fees. If I had known, I would probably have gotten the real Mccoy.

But it shaves great and it looks awesome. I like it, though I have noticed...on the rare occasion that I was awake enough to spot it that the blade wasnt 100 percent centered (more blade on one side than the other).
Easy enough to fix, but requires some attention. The top cap fits gillette's new improved razors, if anyone is looking to upgrade a banged up silver or gold plated brass one for a shiny zamac one. #esthetics

I have read that they are working on a full brass version.

I like it quite a bit. It's smooth but there's blade feel on all settings above N.
Even on three it's got a great efficiency going on. I'm pretty sure I can finish an entire shave on it and end up bbs, but then I'd miss some blade feel.
It is less aggressive than a Rex Ambassador but less efficient than your beloved Konsul on 6. Perhaps because of the weight difference?

You might remember I grossly overpaid this razor, despite getting the pre-ordering reduction fee. I had like 30 or 40 euro's worth of shipping and another hefty sum in custom, tax and handling fees. If I had known, I would probably have gotten the real Mccoy.

But it shaves great and it looks awesome. I like it, though I have noticed...on the rare occasion that I was awake enough to spot it that the blade wasnt 100 percent centered (more blade on one side than the other).
Easy enough to fix, but requires some attention. The top cap fits gillette's new improved razors, if anyone is looking to upgrade a banged up silver or gold plated brass one for a shiny zamac one. #esthetics

I have read that they are working on a full brass version.
Thanks for sharing your impressions.👍 The replica uses regular DE blades, if I'm not mistaken. That's a big plus imo. Having to prepare the blades to make them workable in the real Gibbs was reason enough for me to not look into the real deal any further, though these razors are reputated to provide excellent shaves. 🤷‍♂️

I hear you on the shipping, the import sales taxes & last mile fee... quite a PITA.🤯 But hey, at least you ended up with a great looking razor you obliviously can enjoy!
😀👍

Perhaps you decide to join in again in course of April. It'd be nice to have you in again.

Cheers!

April Fools shave.

Brush: Elite Razor 26mm Manchurian Laos Ironwood and Wild Horse Jasper
Bowl: Face Lathered
Soap: Martin de Candre Vetyver
Razor: Fatboy on 9 followed by 5
Blade: Vintage Sheffield Super Stainless (6)
Splash: Cattie's Bubble's Un Jour Gris - brr frosty
9.7 DFS

Took ten days down with a trimmer before my shower to aid the Fatboy's path. Two passes multi directions. April fools was almost my wild card to try the Phoenix Ascension Twist Aluminum. Maybe it would work for adjustable April, but, not Vintage. Over all a nice shave. Noticed a few micro weepers after splash. Left them to their own devices.

Merkur Progress (set to 3.5)
Permasharp 1st use
Arctic Haze Shave Gel
Proraso Red AS and balm

This is the first DE razor I ever had and still like it. Today was a head and face shave, had 3 days growth, the shave gel used is some stuff I got at Walmart to shape my beard back then....clear stuff to use a shavette. Anyway I was not in the mood to use a brush so I picked up this stuff. Wet skin/hair , rub it in and then shave. This is probably the 4th time I have used it in this way (started after surgery) and this time laziness. 2+ pass shave head and face, nice close shave, no irritation nor cuts. All in all nice shave, the gel is a bit more difficult to rinse off vs a decent soap.

Next time will try using a decent soap/brush and probably a Gillette adjustable.

Cheers and have a great weekend.

Adjustable April Shave #1.
IMG_20230401_173900.jpg

I used my M1 birth quarter Slim today. I think this was only my 4th use of this razor. I'll take my lumps now by disclosing I initially was not impressed with this razor and that's why it has not seen much use. The reason why I was not impressed was, I didn't do the quarter turn to lock the blade previously :crying:. Rookie mistake 😅. I had a really comfortable 2 pass shave on 6. I'll take her up a notch tomorrow!

Top Bottom