What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

Date​
10.07.2022​
Main Focus:10/31 Days in GRUME (out at 19%)
189/191 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
Other:High Efficiency Razors in July
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Prep:Cold splash
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green Preshave
Cream:Kox Bergamot
Aftershave:Proraso Green
Balm:Proraso Green
Bowl:Face lather
Brush:Omega Super Badger 632
Passes:WTG (N-S)
XTG (W-S and S-N on the neck)
Razor:Razorine Flatboy
Blade:Dorco Titan (3)
Rating:9/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

Very little to add to today’s shave. Stubble was on the milder side as the R41 has obliterated everything yesterday. I think I maintained DFS/BBS levels until midnight.

But the Razorine is in the same league as the R41 as far as efficiency goes. Two passes and I was done. One weeper on my account. I went ATG on the neck too quickly. But other than that very smooth and very comfortable.

Using audio feedback as a guide for the best angle. I was able to shave rather steep compared to previous shaves. And as advised by @ClumsyBull - short strokes do the trick.

Very happy with this razor!

Lather was amazing too. Just a few twirls on the soap and away I go. Nice scent and glide. Brush has seen better days so that for me wondering about having an additional brush available to give it extra time to rest. And I think I need to give it a shampooing treatment.

Date​
10.07.2022​
Main Focus:10/31 Days in GRUME (out at 19%)
189/191 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green Preshave
Cream:Kox Bergamot
Brush:Omega Super Badger 632
XTG (W-S and S-N on the neck)
Blade:Dorco Titan (3)

Very little to add to today’s shave. Stubble was on the milder side as the R41 has obliterated everything yesterday. I think I maintained DFS/BBS levels until midnight.

But the Razorine is in the same league as the R41 as far as efficiency goes. Two passes and I was done. One weeper on my account. I went ATG on the neck too quickly. But other than that very smooth and very comfortable.

Using audio feedback as a guide for the best angle. I was able to shave rather steep compared to previous shaves. And as advised by @ClumsyBull - short strokes do the trick.

Very happy with this razor!

Lather was amazing too. Just a few twirls on the soap and away I go. Nice scent and glide. Brush has seen better days so that for me wondering about having an additional brush available to give it extra time to rest. And I think I need to give it a shampooing treatment.
Very happy to hear that you are enjoying the razor!

Date​
11.07.2022 Mühle Monday​
Main Focus:11/31 Days in GRUME (out at 19%)
190/192 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green Preshave
Cream:TGS Abysso
Bowl:Proraso
Brush:Omega Proaso Boar
XTG (W-S)
ATG (S-N)
Razor:Mühle R41
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (2)
Rating:10/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

Second run with the Beast and it behaved exquisitely. Low and slow, short strokes, listening to the audio feedback I progressed through my one day stubble. After two passes I could have called it a day, but as the R41 and I were getting along nicely this morning I went for ATG. At furst I thought to only do the cheeks, but my anchored routine took over and before I knew it I was doing my neck first.

I thought I saw the tiniest of weepers emerge on the right side, but after relativering for the third pass it went away never to appear again. So I finished this turn with the R41 without weepers, definitely no nicks or cuts and with absolutely no irritation whatsoever. I declare Chris’ (@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker) self imposed mission to be accomplished.

Excellent experience, super effective and efficient. :thumbup:

Have a great day!

Date​
11.07.2022 Mühle Monday​
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green Preshave
XTG (W-S)
ATG (S-N)

Second run with the Beast and it behaved exquisitely. Low and slow, short strokes, listening to the audio feedback I progressed through my one day stubble. After two passes I could have called it a day, but as the R41 and I were getting along nicely this morning I went for ATG. At furst I thought to only do the cheeks, but my anchored routine took over and before I knew it I was doing my neck first.

I thought I saw the tiniest of weepers emerge on the right side, but after relativering for the third pass it went away never to appear again. So I finished this turn with the R41 without weepers, definitely no nicks or cuts and with absolutely no irritation whatsoever. I declare Chris’ (@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker) self imposed mission to be accomplished.

Have a great day!
Excellent shave indeed!👍😊💈

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Date​
11.07.2022 Mühle Monday​
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green Preshave
XTG (W-S)
ATG (S-N)

Have a great day!

You did a great job, I am glad that you were able to ace the challenge, I knew you could do it! And now you have faith in yourself that you can as well. Take care

You did a great job, I am glad that you were able to ace the challenge, I knew you could do it! And now you have faith in yourself that you can as well. Take care
Thanks Chris. Talking about RAD in the other thread, what's next on your list? I don't see a Karve yet, for example? (in your already very impressive list I might add).:closedeye:biggrin1:

Guido.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Thanks Chris. Talking about RAD in the other thread, what's next on your list? I don't see a Karve yet, for example? (in your already very impressive list I might add).:closedeye:biggrin1:

Guido.
I see a Christian Bradley SBG in his future. Efficient in spades. Smooth as buttah. Affordable and beautiful in bronze. They make the G plate in OC now if you are brave enough. Get the OCD for a daily driver.
20220605_103910.jpg

~doug~

Especially the handle on the right Doug! That is a huge favorite of mine!! Is the one on the leftalso by the Grandmaster of Handles or a Karve-manufactured one?

Best,

Guido

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Especially the handle on the right Doug! That is a huge favorite of mine!! Is the one on the leftalso by the Grandmaster of Handles or a Karve-manufactured one?

Best,

Guido
I made the handle on the left at work on my Okuma LB2000 Spaceturn before I retired, what we would call a Government Project. :blink:

~doug~

I made the handle on the left at work on my Okuma LB2000 Spaceturn before I retired, what we would call a Government Project. :blink:

~doug~
Wow, you know your stuff. If you would turn this into a business we at B&B would be in serious DAD trouble :blushing:. Maybe I will just put “Doug” on my wish list and see what happens. I just showed them to the mrs and she too was impressed.

Best,

Guido

EA9C18AE-A3B0-4A23-A477-F2DD7E732A38.jpeg

Date
12.07.2022 Furious Flatboy
Main Focus:12/31 Days in GRUME (out at 19%)
191/193 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
Proraso Green Preshave
Cream:Haslinger Sandelholz
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400
XTG (W-S)
ATG (S-N)
Blade:Dorco Titan (4)
Rating:7/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

Mild stubble today as I shaved with the R41 yesterday. I have not experience that with any of my other razors - except maybe for the one I am using today. Perhaps a bit overkill using two super efficient razors in a row, but ok. Decided to go with the KCG handle - I think it looks really good. Similar weight to the original handle as well. And of course a handle I am very familiar with which I guess helps with handling (😉) the razor.

Lather was excellent. I am getting the hang of this face lathering done right. Plissoft helps a lot in that respect. It is amazing at lathering soap and super soft but with plenty of backbone while applying it to my face.

Razorine performed as expected. Smooth, comfortable, effective. I went with a slightly different stroking today where I followed through on the neck using the same angle. Went well until I got to the right side of my chin. Not sure what I did or that the blade had a momentary lapse of reason, but I cut myself. Went on with my shaving business, but in the end after rising and cleaning up did decide to bring out the alum. Alum confirmed the mild shave by the way with only some stinging (I was ready for way more!) at the cut. Discovered one other weeper (in the region where I thought I had one yesterday). So points deducted for that.

Other than that, very nice and efficient shave. Happy with the result. Nice BBS. Very smooth trouble areas as well!

Have a great day!

Guido

Last edited:
Date​
13.07.2022 Wonderful Wednesday​
Main Focus:13/31 Days in GRUME (out at 19%)
192/194 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
Proraso Green Preshave
Cream:Dutchy Bergamot
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400
XTG (W-S)
ATG (S-N)
Blade:Dorco Titan (5)

Another encounter with the Razorine in our journey in getting to know each other. And an excellent encounter it was. Old friends having a chat and a cup of tea.

Lather was wonderful. Dutchy requires just a few swirls to load the brush, add some water (not much) and using the Plissoft away we go. Spend more time on applying my lather for the first pass to really soften those bristles. I have the illusion it assisted during the first pass.

The Flatboy is mega efficient and I saw lots of stubble removed when I rinsed the razor. Audio feedback is huge and therefore very handy to literally hear if there is stubble left. Still working on that angle. Shallow seems to be more efficient, but also more prone to cuts and nicks. I went more steep as I felt I could control the razor better that way. Meanwhile the Dorco made its fifth appearance too and felt as new during shaving. Very smooth and comfortable. I like that :thumbup:

Two passes and we were done, but I went for a 0.5 pass on the neck which turned into a full ATG pass. It just felt so good!!

Tiny weeper on the right (me changing angle mid stroke), but I really liked this shave.:thumbup:

Date​
14.07.2022​
Main Focus:14/31 Days in GRUME (out at 19%)
193/195 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
Proraso Green Preshave
Cream:Haslinger Sandelholz
Balm:Recipe for man face moisturiser
Proraso Green
Brush:Omega Proraso
XTG (W-S)
touchup ATG (S-N)
Blade:Dorco Titan (6)
Rating:8/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

Less smooth today with the Flatboy. There was not a lot to do to be honest so using an aggressive/efficient razor on less then usual stubble might not have been the best of ideas. But I wanted to continue my practice with the Razorine.

Dorco Titan behaved ok still. No tugging, but it was less comfortable than yesterday. I think it is all on me for now.

Haslinger requires very little and gives very much. Nice glide. Subdued scent which I like. I will definitely be buying more and other scents from Haslinger.

All other factors were in play as expected.

Even though this was less comfortable, two passes and an ATG touch up was all it took to get to BBS- level.

Top Bottom