What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

Date​
04.07.2022​
Main Focus:04/31 Days in GRUME (12% and still in)
Other:High Efficiency Razors in July
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Prep:Cold splash
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green Preshave
Cream:TGS Solo
Aftershave:Proraso Green
Balm:Proraso Green
Bowl:Proraso
Brush:Omega Proraso
Passes:WTG (Gillette Slant) N-S
XTG (Gillette Slide) NW-SE
Touch ups
Razor:R41 Clone (R41C) with KCG handle
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (8)
Rating:6/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS
Notes:I managed to restore the original supplied cap with the R41C baseplate and was able to screw the head on the KCG handle. Made a good match in the looks department.

The shave was rougher today than yesterday when I actually had more blade exposure. I am however not sure if it is the razor or the blade. Quite a few weepers (did not have to bring out the alum), so I binned the blade and loaded a fresh one for tomorrow.

Solo provided a good lather although I think Lavanda provided more cushion yesterday.

Still a very efficient shave - two passes and touch up with near BBS.

Have a Great day everyone

Date​
05.07.2022​
Main Focus:05/31 Days in GRUME (15% and still in)
184/186 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green Preshave
Cream:Lavanda
Aftershave:-
Balm:-
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400 Aluminium
ATG (S-N)
Razor:KCG R41 Clone
Fatip Piccolo
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (1)
Tiger Platinum (5)
Rating:1/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS
Notes:This was hands down the worst shave I have ever had. Mayhem and pink lather due to (I stopped counting) 3 cuts, a gazillion nicks and weepers. I stopped the shave after the first pass and took the R41-ish out of the game for designated hitters Piccolo. Everything was reddish and burning. Jodel times arrived when I pulled out the alum block.

Could be that the Dorco is not a good fit with the razor or the razor is too aggressive for me. I was ready to bin not the blade but the head. Decided against it to see if aan other blade is aan other experience.

Definitely not pursuing BBS but still ended getting one.

Last edited:
I have had one instance of an IP Red cause redness like a classical sun burn. At the time I blamed the blade and just avoided them. Roll the clock forward about 5 years and I tried the IP Reds again. This time I get an irritation free, smooth shave. The only real change was my technique. I was pushing for BBS and now DFS+is AOK. This was using a Muhle R89 or Merkur 34C.

I have also had a bad lot of blades. Parker Premium. The blades pulled from the start like they were not honed correctly.

My first razor was a Merkur 34C. It was a defect. WCS made good on an exchange.

Heal fast and good luck on your detective work. The easiest thing to change is the blade.

Cheers!!!

Date​
05.07.2022​
Main Focus:05/31 Days in GRUME (15% and still in)
184/186 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green Preshave
Cream:Lavanda
Aftershave:-
Balm:-
ATG (S-N)
Razor:KCG R41 Clone
Fatip Piccolo
Tiger Platinum (5)
Rating:1/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS
Notes:This was hands down the worst shave I have ever had. Mayhem and pink lather due to (I stopped counting) 3 cuts, a gazillion nicks and weepers. I stopped the shave after the first pass and took the R41-ish out of the game for designated hitters Piccolo. Everything was reddish and burning. Jodel times arrived when I pulled out the alum block.

Could be that the Dorco is not a good fit with the razor or the razor is too aggressive for me. I was ready to bin not the blade but the head. Decided against it to see if aan other blade is aan other experience.

Definitely not pursuing BBS but still ended getting one.

Tomorrow is another shave Guido!!😊👍💈

Date​
06.07.2022​
Main Focus:06/31 Days in GRUME (15% and potentially out)
185/187 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green Preshave
Cream:Kox Bergamot
Bowl:Kox Enemel Green \ Proraso
Brush:Omega Proraso Boar
Passes:WTG (N-S)
XTG (NW-SE)
ATG (S-N)
Razor:Razorine Flatboy 72
Blade:Dorco Titan (1)
Rating:8/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS
Notes:Following yesterday's shave my skin was still very sensitive to shaving. Hence, I paid more attention to my prep and lathered more extensively than usual. I also used more preshave than usual.

I used one of my birthday gifts of today, Kox Bergamot puck in an enemel green bowl. Just a couple of turns delivered plenty of lather performing a predominantly face lather. Good cushioning and glide. And a very pleasant scent. Fresh and summerly vibes.

Then my piece-de-resistance - I finally got to hold it! - the Razorine Flatboy with the 72 handle (I also have the 70 handle by the way) loaded with a Dorco Titan. Loading the blade is less straightforward than it appears, but nothing too challenging. Blade exposure is simply huge and the razor means business. I started very shallow - shavette-like - but was able to lower towards steep during the second and third pass. Relatively speaking quite a number of weepers, but that was due to yesterday's shave rather than today's, because even with the sensitive skin the shave itself felt really comfortable and smooth. One or two nicks for getting to know the razor and its angle. Nothing major (and definitely unlike yesterday). Smooth performance for the Dorco as well - which I loaded following one of the YT review videos I have seen.

A really effective razor indeed with two passes to DFS and a third pass to BBS. In spite of the blade exposure smooth and comfortable as well as surprisingly forgiving. I planned to only do WTG, but felt safe enough to do a third ATG pass. It does mean serious business, so no fancy strokes like Gillette Slides or Gillette Slants, because it will cut you. Short textbook strokes is the way to go. Nice BBS and looking forward to tomorrow's shave.

Will post pictures later in the day.

Last edited:
  • Razorine Flatboy with 70 and 72 handles
  • Kox/Dutchy Bergamot hard soap with green Kox enemel shaving bowl
  • Haslinger Sandelholz with green Kox enemel shaving bowl
  • Travelbrush in blue aluminium (unbranded)
  • Leather toilet bag by Galen
I promised to post pictures of my birthday treasures:

View attachment 1483863
This is the bergamot hard soap Dutchy I used this morning.
View attachment 1483864
This is the Haslinger Sandelholz for tomorrow.
View attachment 1483865
Here we have the Razorine on the right on the 72 handle and the KCG on the left mounted on the 70 handle. The KCG handle is currently in use for the R41 clone. Given yesterday’s horrendous shave an original R41 head is on its way (bought for need) which will go on the 72 handle. The clone is on its way to the bin.
View attachment 1483866

And finally everything together with the leather toilet bag by Galen Leather from Turkey. When unzipped it folds open like a doctor’s suitcase. You can also see the enemel shaving mugs/bowls that carry the hard soaps. O and of course the blue aluminium travel brush (synthetic).

One really happy camper went to TopGun 2 (I was 11 when Top Gun premiered 🙄😳 - Tom Cruise looked like he did not agree at all!!) earlier today with the mrs and then sushi for dinner.

Tomorrow another shave with the Flatboy!

Cheers,

Guido

Date​
06.07.2022​
Main Focus:06/31 Days in GRUME (15% and potentially out)
185/187 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green Preshave
Cream:Kox Bergamot
Brush:Omega Proraso Boar
XTG (NW-SE)
ATG (S-N)
Blade:Dorco Titan (1)
Rating:8/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS
Notes:Following yesterday's shave my skin was still very sensitive to shaving. Hence, I paid more attention to my prep and lathered more extensively than usual. I also used more preshave than usual.

I used one of my birthday gifts of today, Kox Bergamot puck in an enemel green bowl. Just a couple of turns delivered plenty of lather performing a predominantly face lather. Good cushioning and glide. And a very pleasant scent. Fresh and summerly vibes.

Then my piece-de-resistance - I finally got to hold it! - the Razorine Flatboy with the 72 handle (I also have the 70 handle by the way) loaded with a Dorco Titan. Loading the blade is less straightforward than it appears, but nothing too challenging. Blade exposure is simply huge and the razor means business. I started very shallow - shavette-like - but was able to lower towards steep during the second and third pass. Relatively speaking quite a number of weepers, but that was due to yesterday's shave rather than today's, because even with the sensitive skin the shave itself felt really comfortable and smooth. One or two nicks for getting to know the razor and its angle. Nothing major (and definitely unlike yesterday). Smooth performance for the Dorco as well - which I loaded following one of the YT review videos I have seen.

A really effective razor indeed with two passes to DFS and a third pass to BBS. In spite of the blade exposure smooth and comfortable as well as surprisingly forgiving. I planned to only do WTG, but felt safe enough to do a third ATG pass. It does mean serious business, so no fancy strokes like Gillette Slides or Gillette Slants, because it will cut you. Short textbook strokes is the way to go. Nice BBS and looking forward to tomorrow's shave.

Will post pictures later in the day.

Happy Birthday Guido!!!!👍👏🏻🍷

Date​
07.07.2022​
Main Focus:07/31 Days in GRUME (out at 19%)
186/188 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green Preshave
Cream:Haslinger Sandelholz
XTG (NW-SE)
ATG (S-N)
Blade:Dorco Titan (2)
Rating:9/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS
Notes:Second use of the Razorine. I was able to better dial in the angle so less weepers and even more comfort. You can go different ways with this razor but I did find there is a sweet spot between steep and shallow - not the usual 30 degrees. And with the loud feedback I’d this razor you can actually hear when you got that sweet spot.

Haslinger is a magnificent soap. Few twirls and boom you have lather! Did a combo of face lathering and bowl lathering. Nice subdued scent. Resembles TOBS but milder and more relaxed.

Aftershave let me know it was a very close shave.

Went mostly WTG also on the neck. Very slightly slanted on the neck ATG. Three simple passes and wham! Smooth! Absolutely my most efficient razor.

Date​
08.07.2022 Fatip Friday​
Main Focus:08/31 Days in GRUME (out at 19%)
187/189 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green Preshave
Cream:The Alpha Men 2.0
Balm:Executive Man
Brush:Omega Super Badger 632
XTG (NW-SE)
ATG (S-N)
Razor:Fatip Special Edition OC
Blade:King C Gillette (16)
Notes:An amazing 16th run with the KCG blade and it feels like new! Really smooth and comfortable. The Fatip is currently my favourite razor. It is efficient and super easy to use. Midway between light and heavy and I like the Piccolo’s dimensions.

Face lathered with the Omega brush using The Alpha Men 2.0 cream (Aventus Clone) - super lather within seconds. As this is my first brush (it has been with me since my first cartridge days) it had little backbone left and is übersoft. But its spleen is handy to really attack those stubbles. I love this brush.

New batch of Titans arrived today following earlier mishaps by the vendor. I calculated that at today’s rate of use I have about 27 years worth of blades 😳😎😋.

Used my beard growth direction mostly for stroke direction. It seems to work, but I am less convinced than I was a month ago.

Date​
09.07.2022​
Main Focus:09/31 Days in GRUME (out at 19%)
188/190 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green Preshave
Cream:TGS Abysso
Balm:Recipe for men
Proraso Green
XTG (W-S)
ATG (S-N)
Razor:Mühle R41
Notes:First shave with the real McCoy after my up and down adventures with the cloned version.

Deceptively designed the R41 gives you the impression that there is not much blade feel because the blade is almost entirely covered (like the Henson). But once you start the shave you immediately know the blade is there - tons of blade feel. Yet never harsh or the feeling of scraping.

I did shave pretty steep as I felt (and read) that this limits tugging sensations. I went slow and careful.

Super efficient! Two passes and that was it! I went for a third pass ATG just to observe and learn. And this BBS is glassy! I have had amazing BBSs before. This is definitely in my top three. Some minor weepers but I expected these so no problems there. And it was when I may have applied a tad of pressure.

The handle of the Razorine is heavy but it makes using the R41 effortless. Good grip even when wet. Glad I had this extra handle!

Abysso is a great lather with a nice fresh scent to it. And of course the Plissoft turns any soap into latherus maximus.

Compared to the R41 cloned version this was a very smooth shave - even when using a steep angle. It appears to be slightly smoother than the Flatboy as well, but that jury is still out. The Flatboy does clamp the blade less than the R41 appears to do.

All in all this is going into my rotation for let’s say a Mühle Monday or Super Smooth Saturday or something like that.

Top Bottom