What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

Date​
29.07.2022 Shark week & Fatip Friday!!​
Main Focus:29/31 Days in GRUME (out at 19%)
207/210 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
6/7 Days in Shark Week
Other:High Efficiency Razors in July
Steep Angle Shaving Alliance
Prep:Cold splash
Cream:Lavanda
Aftershave:Proraso Green
Balm:Proraso Green
Bowl:Proraso tub / Face lather
Brush:Unbranded synthetic travel brush
Passes:WTG (N-S)
XTG (W-S)
ATG (S-N)
Razor:Fatip Piccolo Nickel with gold Gentile baseplate
Blade:Shark Super Chrome (7)
Rating:9.0/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

I am just going to say that a Shark Super Chrome and a Fatip Gentile work very well together. There was more tugging on the first pass, but the blade continues to perform and became more smooth during the second pass. Reversed my second and third pass again and used the third pass as touch up, because I could have stopped at two.

There was 🩸! Two very tiny weepers on my account for two much pressure, but they disappeared during final splash and clean up.

Great start of the day. I will give three second blade another go, and I would also need to check it in my other razors, but if performance is accordingly I think I will actually get a sleeve.

Date​
30.07.2022 Shark week​
Main Focus:30/31 Days in GRUME (out at 19%)
208/211 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
7/7 Days in Shark Week
Cream:Lavanda
Aftershave:Proraso Green
Balm:Proraso Green
Brush:Unbranded synthetic travel brush
ATG (S-N)
All Gillette Slanted or Gillette Slide
Touch up pass on the neck
Razor:Fatip Piccolo Nickel with gold Gentile baseplate
Blade:Shark Super Chrome (8)
Rating:10/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS

A no fuzz no stress shave to DFS and slightly BBS levels. I am awarding this shave a 10 because the blade really delivered this week. It is in its last legs as I felt the first pass. But this is where the Fatip shines: I had blade alignment issues and so one side was milder than the other. So simply turn to the other side and use that for a first pass. Meant to be I tell you.

I had fun riding the shark this week and I will definitely consider this blade as an addition to my stash.

Date​
31.07.2022 Shark week​
Main Focus:31/31 Days in GRUME (out at 19%)
209/212 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
8/7 Days in Shark Week
Prep:KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green
Cream:Dutchy Bergamot
Aftershave:Floïd The Genuine
Balm:Nivea
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 400
XTG (W-E)
ATG (S-N)
Mostly Gillette Slanted
Razor:Razorine Flatboy
Blade:Shark Super Chrome (9)

So I decided to extend Shark Week by one day (at least) and give the Shark Chrome another run. Back home in the den after vacation so I had all my gear at my disposal. I chose the Flatboy and see what an aggressive razor does to this blade or vice versa.

There was 🩸! Two weepers, but for a ninth run in a razor like this it was a fantastic shave. I felt pulling on the first few strokes so I changed the angle a bit - one I am actually still learning to dial in for this razor. Somehow I am close but not spot on.

BBS bliss in three light passes. This blade is growing on me and I will definitely get extra’s.

Date​
01.08.2022 Mild? Monday​
Main Focus:1/31 Days in GRUME (3.2% competed and still in)
210/213 in 365 days of shaving (98%)
Other:High Efficiency Razors Summer
Cream:The Alpha Men 2.0
Balm:Executive Man
Brush:Omega Proraso Boar
XTG (W-E)
ATG (S-N)
With Gillette Slanted and Gillette Slide strokes
Razor:English Flat Bottom Tech
Blade:Shark Super Chrome (10)

The maiden shave off my first vintage razor that I bought and received yesterday. There was less stubble than usual after the mow-party with the Razorine Flatboy, but enough to work with.

Lather was on the denser side and I should have used more water, but this soap is very forgiving so with the second and third pass that was corrected. The boar shed 2 hairs :blink:. Not that the Tech had any trouble with that at all.

Of course I am overexcited about my first vintage (and the Mrs asked for confirmation in writing that RAD is put at bay - not eBay), but I can see why this has been sold for decades and arguably therefore the most successful razor of all time (since when so we have the 89’s?). It was smooth, forgiving and yet really efficient :thumbup:. Now, I have learned from my trusted B&B ‘shaving counsellors’ (which definitely includes @never-stop-learning) that the English Flat Bottom brings a combination of the pre war efficiency with post war comfort and that has exactly been my experience. I could easily shave with this razor for the rest of my life and be totally happy.

Two passes was almost BBS and the third pass made it a home run (I will shave with the Tech the full week to see its performance under varying conditions). Two tiny weepers, but on the same spot as yesterday and after cleanup they were gone.

After seeking advice from @RenoRichard on which Tech to get, I am so grateful to have found this beauty and close to where I live even (seller preferred his Slim Adjustable). I cannot wait for further shaves. Great start of the day :thumbup1:.

6E85D260-71B0-4F7F-A860-0FC8912D6E9B.jpeg

Date​
01.08.2022 Mild? Monday​
XTG (W-E)
ATG (S-N)
Congrats on your new shaver. Looks like she is in perfect shape! 😀 Enjoy the shaves 😀 and don't forget to share more pictures of her (and the other stuff 😀).

I could easily shave with this razor for the rest of my life and be totally happy.
Famous last words... but then I noticed the " I could" - but not a "I will"...
Shhhhh, I won’t tell your wife 😉
😂
Happy shaves!

Congrats on your new shaver. Looks like she is in perfect shape! 😀 Enjoy the shaves 😀 and don't forget to share more pictures of her (and the other stuff 😀).

Famous last words... but then I noticed the " I could" - but not a "I will"...
Shhhhh, I won’t tell your wife 😉
😂
Happy shaves!
Thanks Guido - she is in real good shape also given her age. I just did a second clean up on the handle and it is even more shiny this time around. I can only spot one or two light blemishes in the plating, but other than that perfect.

The mrs actually reiterated her demand this morning. She can be very decisive in these matters :001_wub:. So woulda, coulda, shoulda word games are not going to fly right (apart from the fact she is a MA in English, so beating her at English grammar is out of my league!
I'm waiting very impatiently for mine to arrive, Guido, it's nice to see you got one locally and love it.

Congrats, again.
I hope it arrives soon Kim, it is a very intuitive shaver.
Awesome looking razor, @Guido75 !
Thanks Thom. I will do a more detailed review when I have the opportunity.

O, and @Cal - your plating is insanely beautiful. Is it time for an English Flat Bottom group yet? Like the Order of the Flat Bottom or something.

Cheers guys,

Guido

Date​
01.08.2022 Mild? Monday​
XTG (W-E)
ATG (S-N)

The maiden shave off my first vintage razor that I bought and received yesterday. There was less stubble than usual after the mow-party with the Razorine Flatboy, but enough to work with.

Lather was on the denser side and I should have used more water, but this soap is very forgiving so with the second and third pass that was corrected. The boar shed 2 hairs :blink:. Not that the Tech had any trouble with that at all.

Of course I am overexcited about my first vintage (and the Mrs asked for confirmation in writing that RAD is put at bay - not eBay), but I can see why this has been sold for decades and arguably therefore the most successful razor of all time (since when so we have the 89’s?). It was smooth, forgiving and yet really efficient :thumbup:. Now, I have learned from my trusted B&B ‘shaving counsellors’ (which definitely includes @never-stop-learning) that the English Flat Bottom brings a combination of the pre war efficiency with post war comfort and that has exactly been my experience. I could easily shave with this razor for the rest of my life and be totally happy.

Two passes was almost BBS and the third pass made it a home run (I will shave with the Tech the full week to see its performance under varying conditions). Two tiny weepers, but on the same spot as yesterday and after cleanup they were gone.

After seeking advice from @RenoRichard on which Tech to get, I am so grateful to have found this beauty and close to where I live even (seller preferred his Slim Adjustable). I cannot wait for further shaves. Great start of the day :thumbup1:.

View attachment 1497466
“English Flat Bottom brings a combination of the pre war efficiency with post war comfort”……I like that!!!

Those of us here being married definitely know what you are speaking of, I'd assume. At least I do 😜

My lovely wife (and I still love her like on day 1 when we first met) doesn’t even has to express such things verbaly... #thatlook🧐 😅

Happy shaves, my friend!
Haha! I know, I know. So when look and talk come together - I pay attention!

And when I got my PhD, I said in my thank you notes that she makes me want to become a better person each day. Without her, nothing really matters.

Best,

Guido

My skin does too, Butch! Any luck with your BST yet? Besides selling the Rocca?

Cheers,

Guido
Thanks Guido….Always a pleasure to speak with you. Yes, I have placed two ROCCA’s and a Stainless Steel AS-D2 into the hands of several of our B&B members.
They were all wonderful razors at a very good bargain, (at least I thought so and so did our members)…..
Funny you bring up BST as I am in the process of setting up another opportunity in the Straight razor and strop side. With my new Timeless razors, my Muhle R41, and a new RazoRock ordered and on the way, I am reaching for my straight razors less and less. They are too good not to use, and I would like to give someone else an opportunity with them.
Hope all is well!!!

Thanks Guido….Always a pleasure to speak with you. Yes, I have placed two ROCCA’s and a Stainless Steel AS-D2 into the hands of several of our B&B members.
They were all wonderful razors at a very good bargain, (at least I thought so and so did our members)…..
Funny you bring up BST as I am in the process of setting up another opportunity in the Straight razor and strop side. With my new Timeless razors, my Muhle R41, and a new RazoRock ordered and on the way, I am reaching for my straight razors less and less. They are too good not to use, and I would like to give someone else an opportunity with them.
Hope all is well!!!
Excellent, Butch. The straights will find a new home as well no doubt. And a new RazoRock on the way - that is too vague for us :glare:. Name and number sir! Deliver us from temptation! I am going to guess a Lupo .95 open comb given your other preferences, but maybe I am wrong.

A lot is well on this side of the globe. Enjoying final stretches of holiday before heading back to work. And what better way to do that then with B&B and a new razor!

Cheers,

Guido

Excellent, Butch. The straights will find a new home as well no doubt. And a new RazoRock on the way - that is too vague for us :glare:. Name and number sir! Deliver us from temptation! I am going to guess a Lupo .95 open comb given your other preferences, but maybe I am wrong.

A lot is well on this side of the globe. Enjoying final stretches of holiday before heading back to work. And what better way to do that then with B&B and a new razor!

Cheers,

Guido
Guido…Your guess is totally correct!!! 👍😊

Top Bottom