What's new

A little closer look at Voskhod and Feather blades (SEM Comparison)

...As you can see, both blades completely lost their polymer coating...

I was wondering how could one explain the missing Platinum from Feather's composition? The top card from every pack I have seen claims the Feather Hi-Stainless is Platinum coated.
At this point I wonder why are they called Hi-Stainless at all?
Troubling to say the least.

I took "Hi-Stainless" to mean stainless high in chromium. The accepted definition of stainless steel calls for at least 10.5% chromium. More chromium is not necessarily better in every application. But for comparison Böhler Uddeholm specifies 13% for their UHB Stainless AEB-L strip steel designed specifically for razor blades.

That does not explain the lack of platinum, and "platinum-coated" is right there on the packaging. I would not expect the antifriction coating to shield any platinum. But is it possible that the Pt is limited to a narrow strip along the edge? Could that be lost in the noise when looking at the whole image?

This is a terrific, informative thread...this is BnB blade Brothers at their best. This should be a sticky and a wiki...a sticky-wiki. :001_tt1:

For me, Feather is my favorite., Voskhod #3, behind Rapira Lux. My razors are:

Joris
Gillette Old
Cadet
New LC

mswofford

Rest in Peace
This is a terrific, informative thread...this is BnB blade Brothers at their best. This should be a sticky and a wiki...a sticky-wiki. :001_tt1:
Pierce; I wholeheartedly agree. Evil4blue; Steve; This is fantastic, your efforts are extensive and very time consuming to put together and are very appreciated. I also like a previous suggestion about combining similar magnification threads under "one roof" so to speak; it would be extemely popular. How could this be done?

I'm still relatively new here and I have no idea about the Wiki editing rules or how to go about getting a thread stuck. I'm willing to share all this stuff and move it out of my photobucket account if someone is willing to guide me.

Thanks

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Steve; a very humble request: I would be very curious about the same treatment by you on Astra SP? They sure get a lot of love around here.

I'm still relatively new here and I have no idea about the Wiki editing rules or how to go about getting a thread stuck. I'm willing to share all this stuff and move it out of my photobucket account if someone is willing to guide me.

You anticipate exactly the problem I was going to mention: images hosted on another system have a way of disappearing, so as policy we strongly encourage wiki-hosted images for wiki pages. That means uploading each one to the wiki: Uploading_Images_in_Wiki describes that process.

Also wiki image uploads are restricted to 800x800. Here is a sample that I just uploaded from this thread, so you can see what it looks like:

And the original:

@mblakele - So do I create a new section to the Wiki or should I add the SEM images to the blade pages that already exist? Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

@mblakele - So do I create a new section to the Wiki or should I add the SEM images to the blade pages that already exist? Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Possibly both. The main thing is to have the images in the wiki, like I did with http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Image:Voskhod_150x.jpg_original.jpg already. Given that we can reference them from any other page. So the same image can appear on a blade page or on a standalone gallery page.

One wiki feature we use a lot is categorization. If you look at the source (edit tab) for http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Image:Voskhod_150x.jpg_original.jpg you will see [category]Scanning Electron Microscope Blade Images[/category]. That "category" tag causes the page to appear at http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Category:Scanning_Electron_Microscope_Blade_Images. But it is just a link: no thumbnail or image display. So you might still want a page like Double_Edge_SEM_Gallery (I just made that up) to gather thumbnails together. That could look something like Gillette Booklet 23, for example.

Cool, I'll look into this in the morning. I also need to resize everything I have too. This may take a little work but it would be better than loosing track of all this information.

Thanks

Just a quick follow-up on this thread, realizing that I'm a few days late to this party. Was anyone able to determine exact composition or at least SAE grade of stainless steel used for these blades? My curiosity is piqued due to the excessive carbon detected, >2% predominantly where if these are using 400 series martensitic stainless steels we'd expect <1% nominally. I'm just curious as I'm relatively certain these all use 400 series, most likely versions of 420 (woohoo!) stainless, but the carbon just throws me for a loop!

Love this thread and have been totally geeking out to the point of making a spreadsheet for it! I totally understand it's face feel for each shave and everyone will like something different, but it's just fun to see some of the science behind the curtain. Thanks for making this and the other SEM threads!

Love this thread and have been totally geeking out to the point of making a spreadsheet for it! I totally understand it's face feel for each shave and everyone will like something different, but it's just fun to see some of the science behind the curtain. Thanks for making this and the other SEM threads!

However, a science that can be invalidated by "YMMW" is not much of a science. Not that I don't enjoy the photos, though... :thumbup1:

Top Bottom