What's new

A Good Fougere or Chypre?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
APH is a great reformulation. You can get vintage very easily but it’s not worth trying. I have several vintages and all are very similar in all aspects.

Paco Rabanne PH, on the other hand, is spectacular in vintage form and a shadow of its former self in the current reformulation. It was so popular in the 80’s that you can find vintage often for less than the current prices on the bay.

Brian nails it! Quoted for absolute truth.

AA

APH is a great reformulation. You can get vintage very easily but it’s not worth trying. I have several vintages and all are very similar in all aspects.

Paco Rabanne PH, on the other hand, is spectacular in vintage form and a shadow of its former self in the current reformulation. It was so popular in the 80’s that you can find vintage often for less than the current prices on the bay.
One question Re the Azzaro PH reforms: how is the longevity on those compared to the vintages?
Thanks,
Mark

Ad Astra

The Instigator
@MarkKislich I can speak to the Paco Rabanne: buy vintage! The old one has oakmoss and longevity ... the new one smells pretty much the same, but less horsepower ... fades quicker for sure. Neutered by the E.U.!

Azzaro pour homme is just great stuff in current formulation. Never felt the need to look for vintage in that one.

Interestingly, both are fougeres, but totally different. PR is a somewhat Brut-smelling clean, soapy classic ... Azzaro does have the anise note as well, and nobody has to apologize for wearing it! As with Tabac: own it and own the world.

AA

One question Re the Azzaro PH reforms: how is the longevity on those compared to the vintages?
Thanks,
Mark
Very similar, not spectacular.

One of my favorites and I tried different vintages for that reason. Put an extra spray on the T-shirt and it lasts pretty long.

Very similar, not spectacular.

One of my favorites and I tried different vintages for that reason. Put an extra spray on the T-shirt and it lasts pretty long.
Ok great! You are convincing me to test this out... And tabac? Vintage only? ☺
Thanks a o much for all the tips... I'm dialing this in.
PS have you ever tried Bracken Man?

Ok great! You are convincing me to test this out... And tabac? Vintage only? ☺
Thanks a o much for all the tips... I'm dialing this in.
PS have you ever tried Bracken Man?
I have Tabac AS and EDC from a couple years ago. My only experience. Love them both.

Ok me neither but it sounds like it has my name all over it. Fougere Royale is a fine scent with an awesome drydown and solid longevity

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Fougere Royale is glorious in both iterations! Love the EdP and the Extrait is something I need in a BIG way. No need to think you have to pony up $600.00 for a bottle (which is ridiculous BTW). There are 10ml purse sprays all over eBay for a pittance so you can try before you have to make a hard decision! :D

Fougere Royale is glorious in both iterations! Love the EdP and the Extrait is something I need in a BIG way. No need to think you have to pony up $600.00 for a bottle (which is ridiculous BTW). There are 10ml purse sprays all over eBay for a pittance so you can try before you have to make a hard decision! :D
Ok great, thanks for the tip and Merry Christmas ! ☺

Yes, I have to learn my lesson and take my own advice: no more blind-buys!
You simply cannot go by reviews, neither written nor video.

The good thing is that I finally figured out, after years and too many bottles, that my categories of Cologne are definitely Aromatic Fougere and Masculine Chypre.

It's weird: I always knew the kind of notes I was looking for and how many times have I described them to Supposedly knowledgeable frag heads?

And yet, not a single. One. Of them had the Insight to say: 'What you're looking for is an aromatic fougere or a masculine chypre, here are the best examples, look no further!' (and don't waste time and money )

But no, they were as clueless as I it seems.
But oh well, better late than never I suppose.
At least now I know where to look.
The only other requirements that I have of what I would call a real perfume is performance: it should last all day (another confounding factor, at least these days).

Bracken Man seems very promising overall in these regards, definitely worth sampling!

Thanks again for the feedback,

Mark

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Ok great, thanks for the tip and Merry Christmas ! ☺

Yes, I have to learn my lesson and take my own advice: no more blind-buys!
You simply cannot go by reviews, neither written nor video.

The good thing is that I finally figured out, after years and too many bottles, that my categories of Cologne are definitely Aromatic Fougere and Masculine Chypre.

It's weird: I always knew the kind of notes I was looking for and how many times have I described them to Supposedly knowledgeable frag heads?

And yet, not a single. One. Of them had the Insight to say: 'What you're looking for is an aromatic fougere or a masculine chypre, here are the best examples, look no further!' (and don't waste time and money )

But no, they were as clueless as I it seems.
But oh well, better late than never I suppose.
At least now I know where to look.
The only other requirements that I have of what I would call a real perfume is performance: it should last all day (another confounding factor, at least these days).

Bracken Man seems very promising overall in these regards, definitely worth sampling!

Thanks again for the feedback,

Mark

I seem to to fall into the same categories (with a few exceptions). Braken Man intrigues me as well but I need a decant to see if its unique enough to go full bottle...

Last edited:
I seem to to fall into the same categories (with a few exceptions). Braken Man intrigues me as well but I need a decant to see if its unique enough to go full bottle...
Yeps, it's always a good idea to test first. Another way is to order both a FB and a sample, so then you can test it from the sample and if you should hate it you can always still resell the FB.
That is useful if it's a pain to actually get... Like some don't ship to Europe and you need someone to pick it up for you and bring it over etc pp.

Yes SIR! Just the current edp, not the extrait. It's a well behaved classic gentlemen's scent that lasts decently. I can recommend it but as always: no blind buys unless the buyer is planning on owning a LOT of bottles he never much uses, lol!

Top Bottom