What's new

Arko Shaving Sticks - How long do they last? And alternatives?

I've always been a Proraso soap user because it is readily available and cheap. However, looking to change, but still keep it cheap, and the Arko shaving stick has come into my radar. Are they really as good as some people say they are?

Since they are cheaper to buy in bulk how long does one stick last on average given the assumption you shave once a day? Don't want to over order.

Also if anyone has any other recommended shave soaps or creams that are super affordable, please feel free to recommend. Money is a bit tight right now, and as much as I would like to buy the more expensive soaps, I just can't afford it. I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

Hi, I can't really tell you how long they last, because I rotate soaps alot.
It is however a good everyday soap, that happens to be extremely easy to lather. Some say it dries out the skin when used daily,I haven't had any problems. Though I see of it more like a spring and summer soap, because of it's lemony scent.

Other affordable, yet highly recommended shaving soaps/creams:

Palmolive tubes
Nivea sensitive tubes
Lea soaps and creams

The above three I actually find more slick than your traditional Arko stick and you'll find they are very easy on the wallet.

I mash my Arko! sticks up in a bowl for easier lathering. Dont really care for the use of a shave stick.

I also rotate soaps and creams, but I would guess/estimate that one would last two (maybe three) months of daily use.

Arko lasts a long, long time. Maybe 100 shaves?

For an alternative, look for Jikoryen stick, it's also from Turkey.

Arko sticks are about as budget efficient as you can get. I can't tell you exactly how long they last, but they last. You can also squish them in a bowl if you prefer to use them that way. Does it perform extravagantly better then a tube of Palmolive? Not really. So if you're going to pay for like 20 euro shipping, it's not even worth it from the budget side compared to Palmolive or Nivea.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
They last maybe 80-100 shaves, but I guess it also depends a bit on the person and his beard thickness/hair thickness.
In the past there was a Palmolive stick that was also very good, not sure if they still make it; it was also tallow based and if I remember correctly, a bit harder than the Arko stick. Both gave me great shapes, but now I use mostly artisan soaps and lather in a bowl (I know one can mash Arko into a tub).

I'd estimate 75 shaves from one stick, thereabouts.

Here in the U.S. we can order two, three or four Arko sticks together at a time. If you are really a fan you can buy a case of twelve. They're inexpensive.

If you are in the UK, you should be able to find LEA sticks 2 pounds each or so. La Toja is a really good stick, not everybody likes the scent, but most seem to. Connaught Shaving has them.

I've always been a Proraso soap user because it is readily available and cheap. However, looking to change, but still keep it cheap, and the Arko shaving stick has come into my radar. Are they really as good as some people say they are?

Since they are cheaper to buy in bulk how long does one stick last on average given the assumption you shave once a day? Don't want to over order.

Also if anyone has any other recommended shave soaps or creams that are super affordable, please feel free to recommend. Money is a bit tight right now, and as much as I would like to buy the more expensive soaps, I just can't afford it. I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.
Hi mate!

I'm in London and I use arko! a lot. One stick should last you at least 4 months, longer if you shave 3-4 times a week. Don't over apply, a decent single application of the wetted stick on the stubble will give you enough brush lather for 3 passes. I exclusively face lather.

I started DE shaving nearly 3 years ago and I am on the second of my original 3 sticks. It's that economical.

Obviously I also use Palmolive Classic cream and Proraso and Cella also, so arko! is not that long lasting! However it's bloody brilliant stuff all in all.

UK E bay has 3 sticks for £7.99 post free. Seems a good amount to start with to see how you like it.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I got a box of 12 arko! sticks on Amazon for £9.99 and I love the scent very much. It smells exactly the same as the lemon scouring powder, maybe Ajax, that my beloved Mother used to clean the kitchen and to scrub the front doorstep in the 1970s. It is the scent, and the memories it evokes, that is the real treasure of arko! It simply makes me happy to use it; the fact that it is also a fantastic shave soap is an additional bonus for me.

Best value soap out there now. Excellent lather. Much slicker than Proraso soap (I've some Proraso Red)

One 75 gram stick last me for roughly three months. I shave about 6 times a week so this is 75-80 shaves. Pretty consistent with the one gram per shave consumption we see of hard shaving soaps.

Top Bottom