What's new

A Good Fougere or Chypre?

I'm just starting to get into the fragrances and I've noticed I tend to like the greener, woodier types in the fougere and chypre family. Any recommendations for a good one that isn't too expensive? I've order some Grey Flannel since I like Coolwater and Aspen so I figured that would be a good $20 investment but I'm looking for something a little different but still in that same GIT/GF area of the spectrum.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:biggrin1:

My favorite fougere is either Azzaro pour Homme or Penhaligon's Sartorial. The Azzaro can sometimes be found at TJ Maxx for under $20/bottle.

Guerlain Vetiver.

I'll take a look around for this, thanks!

My favorite fougere is either Azzaro pour Homme or Penhaligon's Sartorial. The Azzaro can sometimes be found at TJ Maxx for under $20/bottle.

Thanks, I'll look into those. I assume Penhaligon's will be a little out of my price range from what I've seen of them in the past.

Oh, interesting, my brother has a bottle of Azzaro -- sample time!

You can't go wrong with APH, the greatest of all times. I like Sartorial too but the opening is so Brut-like I always wonder if I should've just done Brut.

A fairly straightforward chypre is Alpa from Czech Rep.
maybe below your price range, $10 for 100ml.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 296
Another vote for Azzaro pour homme. I used to have a bottle and enjoyed it a lot.

I tried my brother's AS today and it was something I will put on my list. I just need to find a place in Ottawa that sells it. We don't have a TJMaxx but we do have a Marshalls so I could check that out. Most of the places I've been don't stock it so I might have to go online.

You should treat yourself to Penhaligon's "English Fern"... way out of the pricerange you were seeking but well worth it! Used carefully, it can last for years... just sayin'... :)

Guerlain Coriolan, though discontinued, can be had NIB for relatively little money. It is a beautiful chypre with a lot of oakmoss (the real stuff). I have a bottle and it is the same stuff as L'Ame d'Un Heros (reissued) that is part of Guerlain's "exclusive" line and sells for $250. It is also very close to Chamade Pour Homme, which is also in the $250 range (essentially Coriolan + Hyacinth).

Coriolan can be had for around $40 for a 50ml bottle. Really the best bargain at the moment. Still does not top Derby IMO, but is a very beautiful outdoorsy and classy scent.

I have my eye on it as one of my luxury items!

Its really good. English Fern IMO one of the best fall scents. When I put it on reminds me of walking in the forest on a brisk morning. It is pricey though...but will last you a while.

Top Bottom