What's new

4 Month May-August Sabbatical (QUADSAB)

A little follow up photo. More recognizable now, but still not finished.
received_172587794798261.jpeg
Ready to go into the tempering oven after the initial grinding.

Throughout the sabbatical and quadsab I feel as though my mindset is shifting away from wanting to try everything, to acquiring a select few great representatives/favorites of each style, DE, SE, and Straight Razors. The list is long for DE’s currently but it will get narrowed down to a few winners. Here is what I really want to acquire in each category:
DE: Timeless Ti 68 SB or SC
SE: Blackland Vector, maybe a Sabre at some point for the modern GEM
Straight razor: no idea as of yet, thinking a Ralf Aust 6/8 round point as a starting place. @RumpleBearskin and @Bjlefebvre y’all’s SOTD pics with the straights are fantastic!

I’m planning on the Vector as my one exception for the year, and then looking into the timeless and finally straight razors after that. My interest has really been piqued with the straights, I just realize that it wouldn’t be feasible, during sabbatical, as I would need to purchase a few things to support that shaving style.

Of course this current thinking is always subject to change lol. Hopefully I avoid falling down any more rabbit holes!

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I'm still in. This week's shaves:

Karve Brass closed "D" plate.
Gillette Rubie blade
Wet Shaving Company Fresh Vetiver soap and aftershave
Guerllaine Vetiver Extreme EdT.

WSC's "Rustic" vegan soaps are among my favorites. Fresh Vetiver was a limited edition I picked up last year. This is one of the soaps I hope to 3017 during this QUADSAB, but WCS pucks can take quite a while to diminish.

View attachment 1272423

Nice Razor :)

That's it... The next time i will have an idea about buying yet another animal brush, i will say to myself "Remember the green Yaqi". Unbeliavable knot! I should have bought a backup! Gobs of lather in no time. Amazing face feel. For a moment i told myself "maybe i should just send 95% of my animal brushes to Burundi!".

Really, technically speaking, there is no more reason to buy animal brushes.

Africa2.png

That's it... The next time i will have an idea about buying yet another animal brush, i will say to myself "Remember the green Yaqi". Unbeliavable knot! I should have bought a backup! Gobs of lather in no time. Amazing face feel. For a moment i told myself "maybe i should just send 95% of my animal brushes to Burundi!".

Really, technically speaking, there is no more reason to buy animal brushes.

View attachment 1272950
I have only had 2 brushes my entire life. And they are both VDH boar brushes. The exact same brush LOL. One is my every day and one is in my travel kit. I been meaning to try a synthetic but just never have.

The Reynolds FBU again today. Changed it up with a Murphy & McNeil sample of Kells. While M&M is never in my rotation, and I don't know that I'd ever buy it outright, I'm not sure why. I enjoy their scents very much and the soaps are very good performers. Too many great soaps, not enough space...

And ...
I got final pictures of my exception.
received_4232289420170344.jpegreceived_538301233839771.jpegreceived_533746471126512.jpeg

Very, very pleased. I simply cannot wait!

The Reynolds FBU again today. Changed it up with a Murphy & McNeil sample of Kells. While M&M is never in my rotation, and I don't know that I'd ever buy it outright, I'm not sure why. I enjoy their scents very much and the soaps are very good performers. Too many great soaps, not enough space...

And ...
View attachment 1273350View attachment 1273351View attachment 1273353

Wow wow wow!! 🤩🤩 Congratulations! That is stunning!!

I have only had 2 brushes my entire life. And they are both VDH boar brushes. The exact same brush LOL. One is my every day and one is in my travel kit. I been meaning to try a synthetic but just never have.

Then, dear sir! You need a synthetic! Especially good for travelling and not only. Nearly immortal too! You are in USA right? You have so many options! Yaqi, PAA, Maggard, APShave Co(?). Grab one! Much better performance than boar and they dry very quickly. And virtunally no maintenance.

And ...
View attachment 1273350View attachment 1273351View attachment 1273353

Congratulations. It looks very nice, although i am not much into straight razors. I like the black blade.

And, i decided to start a new month rotation a few days earlier. A very nice shave.

final.png

My oldest and cheapest badger. It has a tendency to form a hole in the middle of the knot, because it tangles... Still, i use it to remind myself that it works as well as any other. In fact, it has 0 pricklyness. Once in a while it is good to go barefoot.

FINAL2.png

Another excellent shave.

Final.png

Also, since i now do a sort of hybrid bowl-face lathering, i decided to modify one of my trusty dogfood bowls. I tell you, this is the perfect bowl. The lather is impossible to fall out, because it is very deep. Unbreakable too. The downside? It's cheap metal, with time it corrodes and become more opaque at some spots, so not good for "SOTD". Who cares... 15cm wide in the upper part, 6cm deep.

So, my problem with the dogfood bowls from when i was bowl lathering was that they felt too slippery. So... I glued 4 (for the timebeing) small square magnets at the bottom of the bow. I had a bunch of them anyway unused, so the idea came to me. I had to glue them because the metal of the bowl has very little magnet attraction. Result most satisfying (2 magnets are visible). The magnets are 10x10mm and 4mm high:

aa.png

Leaving aside the fact that i am in sabbatical, so i can't buy proper bowl anyway, i checked amazon and some stores. There is nothing better. Some expensive bowls are only 4cm deep (lather comes out) and are ceramic or wooden. I want unbreakable and without worrying about rotting wood. This works remarkably well. If all fails, i will go back to my plastic bowl.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Hello Fellas,

Still in and still holding steady, got to visit with family over the Memorial Day holiday (first time in over a year) so been a little "off the grid" in terms of checking B&B. But back home now and in the routine. Will post a SOTD pic sometime this week or weekend.

Cheers to all,

Didn't feel like stropping today so went with the shavette again. Still sore from two days of sailing... Back to the traditional straights tomorrow.

And I completed the purchase of my Drew Dick custom straight 05/31. So there's my QUADSAB exception. I'm now in total spend avoidance mode for the duration. And with that planned purchase out of the way, I joined the June GRUME for additional leverage.

Still in. Just wanted to say using a dog bowl for shaving is some A-1 ingenuity. 👍

Thank you, sir! I actually started with dogfood bowl! I am Burundian, i care about functionality, not looks. I also have plastic (cereal) bowls, proraso mug (virtually useless for lathering) and silicon bowl. This dogfood with the magnets glued, is the best. Also very fast to clean and unbreakable.

Didn't feel like stropping today so went with the shavette again. Still sore from two days of sailing... Back to the traditional straights tomorrow.

And I completed the purchase of my Drew Dick custom straight 05/31. So there's my QUADSAB exception. I'm now in total spend avoidance mode for the duration. And with that planned purchase out of the way, I joined the June GRUME for additional leverage.

Congratulations again and may you enjoy many shaves with it, sir!

PRO2.png

Top Bottom