What's new

4 Month May-August Sabbatical (QUADSAB)

Final.png

A very nice shave with Lea soap and an Astra SP at its 3rd shave.

So it's a group buy on a two-band badger brush fron the Shavemac guys. I'll pass. Dave's Rudy Vey brush handle looks fab, but this latest one doesn't leave me feeling I need to break QUADSAB for it - but then again, I'm not a brush guy.

So it's a group buy on a two-band badger brush fron the Shavemac guys. I'll pass. Dave's Rudy Vey brush handle looks fab, but this latest one doesn't leave me feeling I need to break QUADSAB for it - but then again, I'm not a brush guy.

Yes. The handle is very ergonomic, i have the same shape from Simpson and i would only pay €108 for a brush that i go crazy about. Or maybe when i will get bored of my other brushes. Even the best brush, gets tiresome to me. Variety is more important.

Technically, since this is a B&B group buy, it is allowed by the QUADSAB rules. I am just saying.

Passing on the Beagle. As you can tell from most of my photos, I prefer a BIG brush.

Today's shave was an unintentional daily double.
PXL_20210519_172618356-01.jpeg

Torrey Gibraltar / Gillette Old Type (Astra SP)
MdC, Fougere
Rick Montalvo
Hazlett's Apothecary, 1888

The plan was to use the Torrey again today. But when I got to the ATG pass my right hand was trembling to the point that I didn't feel safe. Switched to the Old Type for ATG all over and an extra ATG pass on my neck. Almost as smooth a the straight, but it doesn't last as long.

@RumpleBearskin i agree with you, 22mm seems small. Although now that I think about it my only badger is a 22mm SHD from Maggards. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Oh well I’m not trying to drop that on a brush right now either.
SOTD
Razor: Karve SS SB-B
Blade: PolSilver (6)
Brush: RR400MB (forgot to take the pic till it was loaded with soap)
Bowl: Timeless
Soap: MWF (second use, this stuff is impressive!)
A/S: Old Spice Pure Sport
Have a great day y’all!
8923D859-5D5B-4DF8-953C-91A337847910.jpeg

Final.png

A very nice shave with a Dorco ST301 at its 1st shave, no less! I am surprised myself. But i was concentrated and had thus an excellent result.

This Yaqi motherlode, might be my best Yaqi synthetic knot. If you paint, it splays like a badger.

Passing on the Beagle. As you can tell from most of my photos, I prefer a BIG brush.

View attachment 1269222
MdC, Fougere
Rick Montalvo

The plan was to use the Torrey again today. But when I got to the ATG pass my right hand was trembling to the point that I didn't feel safe. Switched to the Old Type for ATG all over and an extra ATG pass on my neck. Almost as smooth a the straight, but it doesn't last as long.
Hey Guys,
I am new to the wet shaving world and participating in the May GRUME.
I have been lurking on your thread and wish all of you the best!
I just had to comment; That is a NICE photo!

Hey Guys,
I am new to the wet shaving world and participating in the May GRUME.
I have been lurking on your thread and wish all of you the best!
I just had to comment; That is a NICE photo!

Hello, sir! How are things going? I hope your initial difficulties are over! All the best to you too for your GRUME, sir!

Thank you, @tjsgarden. And good luck on your GRUME. It can be tough to resist the urge to buy, buy, buy when starting out. We're pulling for you!
All of you guys,

Please feel free to lurk or comment in the May GRUME thread. We are having fun and for the month of May, in the same experiential mode! I

Good Day!

Last edited:
Hello, sir! How are things going? I hope your initial difficulties are over! All the best to you too for your GRUME, sir!

Thanks for your advice in previous post!

There is a lot of wisdom in being content with what we already have as opposed to the more, more, more mentality. Focusing on technique and enjoying the whole shaving process is more meaningful than the illusion that another purchase will make me happier or more satisfied. GRUME has taught me a WHOLE LOT about shaving and life in general.

How I typically sign off:
Good Day! :letterk1:

Thanks for your advice in previous post!

There is a lot of wisdom in being content with what we already have as opposed to the more, more, more mentality. Focusing on technique and enjoying the whole shaving process is more meaningful than the illusion that another purchase will make me happier or more satisfied. GRUME has taught me a WHOLE LOT about shaving and life in general.

How I typically sign off:
Good Day! :letterk1:

You are most welcome, sir! I am happy if i have been of any help.

That is a wise conclusion you have arrived at, sir! I wish i had arrived at the same conclusion as early as you did. Happy shaves and have a successful GRUME!

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy

View attachment 1269222
MdC, Fougere
Rick Montalvo

I tip my hat to you, as I wouldn't have felt safe with the Old Type ;)

yeah, I jumped in :w00t:

In deed! You ordered the butterscotch fan. I would have opted for the green fan. But definitely for a fan. It is prettier! However, i already have 2 Simpsons and 1 is the Eagle and i promised myself not to buy a badger with so short loft again. Also, after trying everything, i prefer silvertips in badgers. And of course, for my Burundian mind to be convinced to pay €108, it would have to be a silvertip that i go crazy about. So, on the bright side, i am safe from such group buys, because they are never cheap! :lol1:

My favorite brush is Yaqi silvertip. I prefer it over more expensive brushes i have. After that, it would take a gorgeous handle with a gorgeous silvertip to maybe convince me to pay >€100 for a brush. Especially when i have a too long rotation of brushes, so i wouldn't use it often. On the contrary, there are some Epsilon handles, at reasonable prices, that i like... Hmmm... Maybe in September's restock window i will look at them again.

I wouldn't have felt safe with the Old Type ;)

Compared to the bare edge (straight razor) I usually use, any "safety" razor seemed like a safer option. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And personally, I don't really get the whole "aggressive vs. mild" thing. In my DE days the EJ DE89 and the Old Type both worked well for me. In SE-land I enjoy a GEM Featherweight or Pushbutton on par with my Bumpless MMOC.

It's all in technique, IMHO. If your technique is good, and you can adjust to the razor design, they are all great shavers and nothing to fear.

Top Bottom