What's new

🌕🌗 365 shaves in 2022🌓🌕

Shave # 335: BBS achieved with the help of a Wizamet Super Iridium(not pictured)
Thursday December 01, 2022
Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper Bowl
Lather: Southern Witchcrafts Druantia
Razor: Henson AL13 +++
Blade: Polsilver Stainless (1)
IMG_1768.jpg

335 of 335
  • Blackland Ti Blackbird with Perma-Sharp blade
  • MdC Rose lathered with Rudy Vey/Shavemac 2018 LE in a custom Mugseco bowl
  • Finished with Dickenson's WH and Fine Fresh Vetiver
It does not get much better than this razor/blade combination. The MdC soaps are my preferred lather and the Rudy Vey/Shavemac 2018 LE brush is one of my favorites, although equal to the Rudy Vey Persian Jar with the same Shavemac 2 band Silvertip on tap for tomorrow. The Mugseco lather bowl was a birthday present and I am enjoying it immensely. I did not realize how much I enjoy using a lather bowl.

Other notes and musings as the year draws to a close:
  • My kit kept at a friend's house and used about once a week contains a GEM MMOC or MMCP, depending on when I change it out; a Gillette Travel Tech and an additional common bar handle; and a New SC gives me the chance for some variety. My travel kit for when I'm out of town holds my SS Blackbird, my overall number 2 razor second only to the Ti Blackbird.
  • Sunday, for the first time in many weeks, I did not use a GEM razor but instead used the New SC. As much as I want to like the GEMs, even with more blade feel than most all of my other razors, they just do not shave me as close. The New SC confirmed this. It provided a smooth clean shave with no drama. And to think that once I found this to be an aggressive razor. The New SC more than any other razor allowed me to learn proper pressure and better technique.
  • After nearly writing off synthetic brushes after purchasing a Simpson Classic 1 synthetic (the worst brush I have ever owned), I have learned to appreciate synthetics for their quick drying and great travel abilities. I have a turnback style Muhle STF in my travel kit, an AP Shave Co Blue Lagoon with a Synbad knot in the kit at a friend's house, and an AP Shave Co with a G5C knot as part of my 10-brush home rotation. There is definitely a place for synthetics and price does not necessarily determine quality. The Simpson synthetic was more expensive than all of the others.
  • The Titanium Blackbird is my everyday razor and could be the last razor I ever purchase.
  • This year I found Perma-Sharp blades and am quite happy with them. Overall, the Russian Gillette plant turns out some of my favorite blades with the Nacet and Perma-Sharp, trailed by the GSB being my favorite blades from that plant.
  • MdC started and ended the year as my favorite soap. Because of the longevity, it will be some time before I need to choose a scent. I started with the Original and am now using the Rose. I can't honestly say that I have a preference. I do enjoy the Brain Bowl and will continue to purchase in the Brain Bowl.
  • Bowl lathering is fairly new to me. I tried it once before and felt like it was pointless to lather the bowl and then lather my face. My opinion has changed. I now find it easier to "tune" my lather. As a bonus, I feel like I am using less soap on the loading, perhaps as much as 50% less and still getting more than enough lather for three passes.
  • Overall, 2022 has been a great year for me. My younger daughter was married this past April. I will be retiring at the end of the year after more than 43 years as a CPA, but continue to do some consulting in the future. After losing my wife in 2017, I have now met a wonderful woman who is also a widow and see nothing but great things ahead.
I hope that 2022 has been as good for all of you as it has been for me.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 335 of 335 = 100%
Razor: @Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (4)
Brush: Omega Jade 011842 Premium Pure Bristle
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal
Fragrance: Belcam G2bu EdT Spray
20221201_140936~2.jpg

Superb 💯 shave! :cool:

Please check out full notes on my shaves plus comments, rankings and other stuff in my Journal: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12032029

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
335 of 335
IMG_20221201_123715.jpg

Razor: Muhle R41
Blade: Treet Classic(9)
Soap: TFS Rasozero Agrumella
Brush: Yaqi Moka-express 2 band badger

Tonight the Agrumella has finally shown it's weakness, a tiny donut hole has appeared in it and I am overjoyed that there is finally an end in sight with this soap. Thanks to @Leverspro the lathers are excellent and blooming soaps will become a regular part of my 3017 routine.
I wish the Treet blade was as successful as the soap, after 8 outings it had to go in the R41, but even the beast couldn't coax a good shave out of it. It was rough and tugging throughout, but the final was an almost painful ATG pass leading to a shave somewhere between a DFS and a CCS. The Treet made the blade bank.

335 of 335
  • Blackland Ti Blackbird with Perma-Sharp blade
  • MdC Rose lathered with Rudy Vey/Shavemac 2018 LE in a custom Mugseco bowl
  • Finished with Dickenson's WH and Fine Fresh Vetiver
It does not get much better than this razor/blade combination. The MdC soaps are my preferred lather and the Rudy Vey/Shavemac 2018 LE brush is one of my favorites, although equal to the Rudy Vey Persian Jar with the same Shavemac 2 band Silvertip on tap for tomorrow. The Mugseco lather bowl was a birthday present and I am enjoying it immensely. I did not realize how much I enjoy using a lather bowl.

Other notes and musings as the year draws to a close:
  • My kit kept at a friend's house and used about once a week contains a GEM MMOC or MMCP, depending on when I change it out; a Gillette Travel Tech and an additional common bar handle; and a New SC gives me the chance for some variety. My travel kit for when I'm out of town holds my SS Blackbird, my overall number 2 razor second only to the Ti Blackbird.
  • Sunday, for the first time in many weeks, I did not use a GEM razor but instead used the New SC. As much as I want to like the GEMs, even with more blade feel than most all of my other razors, they just do not shave me as close. The New SC confirmed this. It provided a smooth clean shave with no drama. And to think that once I found this to be an aggressive razor. The New SC more than any other razor allowed me to learn proper pressure and better technique.
  • After nearly writing off synthetic brushes after purchasing a Simpson Classic 1 synthetic (the worst brush I have ever owned), I have learned to appreciate synthetics for their quick drying and great travel abilities. I have a turnback style Muhle STF in my travel kit, an AP Shave Co Blue Lagoon with a Synbad knot in the kit at a friend's house, and an AP Shave Co with a G5C knot as part of my 10-brush home rotation. There is definitely a place for synthetics and price does not necessarily determine quality. The Simpson synthetic was more expensive than all of the others.
  • The Titanium Blackbird is my everyday razor and could be the last razor I ever purchase.
  • This year I found Perma-Sharp blades and am quite happy with them. Overall, the Russian Gillette plant turns out some of my favorite blades with the Nacet and Perma-Sharp, trailed by the GSB being my favorite blades from that plant.
  • MdC started and ended the year as my favorite soap. Because of the longevity, it will be some time before I need to choose a scent. I started with the Original and am now using the Rose. I can't honestly say that I have a preference. I do enjoy the Brain Bowl and will continue to purchase in the Brain Bowl.
  • Bowl lathering is fairly new to me. I tried it once before and felt like it was pointless to lather the bowl and then lather my face. My opinion has changed. I now find it easier to "tune" my lather. As a bonus, I feel like I am using less soap on the loading, perhaps as much as 50% less and still getting more than enough lather for three passes.
  • Overall, 2022 has been a great year for me. My younger daughter was married this past April. I will be retiring at the end of the year after more than 43 years as a CPA, but continue to do some consulting in the future. After losing my wife in 2017, I have now met a wonderful woman who is also a widow and see nothing but great things ahead.
I hope that 2022 has been as good for all of you as it has been for me.
Wow! Thanks for all that. I wish you all happiness in all of those wonderful prospects.

Thursday 1st December, shave #335

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Enhancement: a few drops of glycerine
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #4
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Started the month with a comfortable DFS.

Date
365 days of shaving339/335
(100%)
GRUME December2/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes2 and some touch ups
WXTGCB Curve
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Fatip Special Edition OC
King C Gillette (28)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Geen
Dutchy Bergamot
Kox Enamel
Face lathering
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
10/10 (~15 minutes)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Wonderfully quick shave this morning. The Fatip loaded with the KCG took no prisoners (but did leave some hair behind). Smooth sailing and very comfortable to use. The blade was slightly misaligned (what? in a Fatip? no way!
:laugh:
) and I used that to my advantage in the ATG strokes.

The KCG blade is still the performer although I might have experienced less performance than usual signaling the blade has seen its best days. But we’re not there yet and so the blade was cleaned, dried and reloaded for another shave.

The little synthetic is a great latherer and worth that I went to face lathering today. I gave it extra time and attention to see if that benefited the shave. Will be doing the same thing tomorrow to check.

Really nice shave. Have a great day!

Timeless Ti .68 SB
RV Muhle STF

665991B4-22F8-4A51-9145-4DBE0206188A.jpeg

with all my testing on razors I have been doing for the last two years often giving each razor a few straight months of use :) here is where I am at
decided I will keep using my Timeless Ti .68 SB and try the .95 SB when I can and be selling the rest of my stuff for now
really love the performance of the Wolfman but really prefer the no blade feel of the Timeless 68 and still get incredible shaves so that was a tough choice so might come back around and try a .85 wolf in the future ?

near future plan is try a Kai Kasho Captain :001_unsur just to see what that is about reckon will try from Amazon with a return policy but want to narrow down my blades and soap first
I had the blades narrowed down before and the soaps but going to give them all one more go around just to be triple dog sure :)

still want to try the Tatara Razors but really only want to try the Ti models as I just prefer that over the SS razors the Black friday deals are awesome but just need to wait a bit with kid in college and $$ being tight :) such is life and hey gives me something to look forward to next year want to try the ADJ model first and then maybe the regular 3 piece ones and reckon want to try the mild one but get the other cap and base plate and try the various combos that keep it even or under the blade gap

but now looking forward to narrowing down my soaps and blades so far from done !
Only two other soaps I have not had yet tried would be the Grooming Dept and the WSP since WSP is local to me and they seem to have some nice scent choices but so far everything else will be going up against my Captains Choice Cream and SV as the base comparison

so yeah will come back around and keep trying some other stuff once in a while but just want to narrow down my main stuff now to my fav of favs and then bring in one things at a time to compare
over the last 2+ yrs glad I went the route I did though and tried everything I wanted so far as otherwise I would have that itch of what is this like :)

and again a few more things to bring in down the road I need to try as this is a fun hobby and do enjoy the tinkering and trying other things aspect of it !

#336 of 336 on the year

Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Bolzano (6)
Brush: Yaqi synthetic
Soap: Mama Bear’s Sleigh Ride
Aftershave: Bootlegger’s Eldorado

Weepers. Not as nice a shave as the last several days. Hopefully a different razor tomorrow will help

Shave # 336: Fantastic Feather Friday: BBS with ease!
Friday December 02, 2022
Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper Bowl
Lather: Southern Witchcrafts Druantia
Razor: Henson AL13 +++
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless(1)

IMG_1775.jpg

Shave#336. Really nice shave with the Blackland Sabre today. Super impressed with the GEM blades. So rigid.
Image3142849656530348352.jpg
@Ckmaui
Good for you for giving it a two year shot before choosing the Timeless as your daily. I ended up preferring other razors but only purely subjectively. My Timeless was a very good razor that gave super efficiency without blade feel. I've actually come to like some blade feel in a shave. Perhaps that's why I'm enjoying the GEM format so much. If you don't need the cash, I'd suggest throwing your seconds in a drawer for another year instead of selling them as tastes and preferences can slowly evolve. But I also enjoy exploring new things and am always curious about different products.
@awk_m4 I need do try Feather again. I've had trouble with them and keep setting them aside for a few months and then go back to them.

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
365 Shaves in 2022: 336 of 336 = 100%
Razor: Fatip Grande
Blade: German Bolzano (4)
Brush: Omega 10048 (Pro 48) Boar
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal
Fragrance: Belcam G2bu EdT Spray

Excellent shave! :cool:
20221202_094355~2.jpg

Please check out full notes on my shaves plus comments, rankings and other stuff in my Journal: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12033410

Top Bottom