What's new

2023 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Year of The Prisoner

I'm out.
Life/family events require some retail therapy.
Mutton tallow (and MWF lanolin) treats my stress-induced sensitive skin very well.
No regrets.
Screenshot 2023-02-18 164849.jpg

lasta

Blade Biter
Shockingly

I'm still in!

I have several hundred likes to distribute to our brave villagers, so that may take a while.

:c17:

How do beaver knots perform? Zenith are the first I’ve heard use them. Do they have other grades of beaver? X, XX, XXX, XXXX, XXXXX, Manchurian? 😁
It is more or less my national responsibility to chime in on this, as a Canadian. In early days of Europeans showing up here, the thing of great value that they found here was beaver. Not for shaving brushes, or even for fur, but for felt for making ever more ridiculous hats for dapper European aristocrats.

I think it is no accident that most of us haven’t heard of beaver brushes before. A pelt that is well suited for felting is probably the last thing you would want for a shaving brush. It just isn’t the property you are looking for.

Maybe these Manchurian beaver brushes have selectively chosen guard hairs from their magical beavers and leave out all that wonderful underpelt, and those guard hairs possibly are just the thing you want for a shaving brush. I am highly sceptical though.

It is more or less my national responsibility to chime in on this, as a Canadian. In early days of Europeans showing up here, the thing of great value that they found here was beaver. Not for shaving brushes, or even for fur, but for felt for making ever more ridiculous hats for dapper European aristocrats.

I think it is no accident that most of us haven’t heard of beaver brushes before. A pelt that is well suited for felting is probably the last thing you would want for a shaving brush. It just isn’t the property you are looking for.

Maybe these Manchurian beaver brushes have selectively chosen guard hairs from their magical beavers and leave out all that wonderful underpelt, and those guard hairs possibly are just the thing you want for a shaving brush. I am highly sceptical though.
Hi,

Yeah. I dabble in being a hatter myself. We cull out the short hairs for felting and discard the long ones. So, I bet they are making their brushes from the felt making discards. These days, we use those annoying rodents from down South for hat felt more so than beavers. Nutrias. Originally imported and raised for the hat industry and then let out into the wild when hats fell out of favor.

Stan

I'm out.
Life/family events require some retail therapy.
Mutton tallow (and MWF lanolin) treats my stress-induced sensitive skin very well.
No regrets.
View attachment 1608177
Hi,

Sorry to find out you are a Warder.

No one is actually Out this year, so keep on posting! :)

Stan

Prisoners

1. Nadia
2. KQY61 - No Exception
3. sjblon - No Exception
4. Tillerman - No Exception
5. Noodles - A/S
6. Patrick McGoohan - Always Exceptional
7. VerbaVolant - No Exception
8. bjm - Exception: razor handle
9. elmo_koffman - exception: blades
10. Jim99 - Exception: Italia soap
11. Pepin - exception vintage razor
12. gdawg55 - Athena Razor
13. La Malice - Shaving bowl
14. 02FLHTCI- No Exception
15. DEaficianado - razor handle
16. DougK - no exception
17. wmadoty - No Exception
18. Sandorfi - Exception Vintage Gillette new
19. Out(ed)
20. Crisp Rat - no exception
21. Esetter - no exception
22. Chef455 - Exception Lucky Tiger if Supply Runs Out
23. JeffJ - No Exception
24. EB Newfarm No Exception
25. Out(ed)
26. Trollky - tube of Proraso cream
27. MaineYooper - vintage razor
28. (Porkins). CzechCzar - exception TBD
29. Out(ed)
30. Balin - "The Duke" Exception - Shaving brush
31. JAHE - Exception - modern razor
32. Sotiris_A - No exception
33. Tjsgarden-Exception- razor
34. Contact_vs_Feedback - Vintage razor
35. KW Driver - Exception - Linseed oil/sealers for brush repairs.
36. Cantujm -Exception- Wolfman Razor
37. Bobbyb - No Exception
38. ByDoms - No exception
39. Ruva - razor
40. Jamesearthdrum - Geo Trumper Coral Skin Tonic
41. cryhavoc - shaving brush
42. T.Orso - witch hazel
43. Heron - shave soap
44. Guido75 - balm
45. Whisky - No Exception
46. Doc4 ... exceptions are for wimps
47. linty1 - no exceptions
48. Alum Ladd - Nivea post shave balm
49. JKaboom - LEA 3in1
50. Berwick12 - No Exception
51. Chandu - No Exception
52. kjbarth - no exception
53. Out(ed)
54. Fred D - No exception
55. bartje-p - Blackbird (regular) SS plate and balm if it runs out (have 2 spares)
56. LJBraaten - Vintage Razor
57. sirplatypus - blades

Out(ed) as Warders

29. awk_m4 - No Exception - 1/31 - Bought stuff for sons and dipped in
53. Markdad2 - No exception - 2/6 - Muhle Rocca Stainless
25. JWCowboy No Exception - 2/16 - Neighbor getting out of making brushes
19. ewk - NO EXCEPTION - 2/18 - Mutton tallow soap

Last edited:
Is it too late to switch exceptions? 😏 but I would attest that given its success the Lupos will be around for quite some time into the future as well I reckon.

Guido
Hi,

Normally, it's the 15th of January to figure out the exception. But, I never thought that exceptions should be so rigid. Even the No Exception. For me, it's a matter of personal pride to not have an exception at all. But, I can see where something might pop up which I would have declared if I had known about it earlier.

What we want to try and avoid is knee-jerk reaction impulse buying. So, decent thought ought to go into this. If you have done so and wish to change your exception I think that'll be OK. Still, though, only one per the year and specifically declared. If you post a change, then I'll alter my master list. This, rather then copying and pasting the one I post once in a while so I don't miss the fact.

Stan

Still in.

View attachment 1608041

#2 gave me the pre-announced call this morning.I had just returned from my morning walk when the phone rang...

I had a walk at the cliffs earlier because it's a good place to watch the sunrise.
Speaking of watching... how did #2 know that I had come home just at that moment? It was probably just a coincidence. Or?

However, #2 asked me to visit him in his premises in the Green Dome.

View attachment 1608050

When I arrived, I was led to the visiting room. There #2 was already waiting for me.

View attachment 1608051

#2 greeted me friendly and examined me for a long time. Then he offered me breakfast. I gladly accepted this invitation, since I had not had breakfast before my morning walk.

View attachment 1608052

While I was eating, #2 casually asked if he could ask me a few questions. I answered in the affirmative.

Whether I would be comfortable with my stay in The Village, he asked.
I nodded, chewing.

He had heard I was a fan of wet shaving. Nod.

He asked if I still would feel the urge to add more razors to my collection.
I looked up. How could he know about this, I thought... Hesitantly I nodded again.

He had been told that I had placed an order on a razor last night.

The conversation now took a somewhat unpleasant turn. I mean... how did he know this? I confirmed.

Then he raised his voice and asked:
"Why don't you want to resign...resigning from buying another razor?"

I explained that I had signed up on a manufacturer's waiting list before coming to The Village, and that it was my turn to place my order now... I added, I was permitted to purchase a razor during my stay at The Village.
I then explained to him that the razor I ordered really was a special one I was lusting for quite some time.

#2 raised an eyebrow. Whether it is not true that I also ordered a stand for said razor?!

This guy was really well informed, I had to admit. I replied that it was true, but I explained to him that I would always buy a matching stand for all the razors I value, if a matching stand was available.

For me it was out of the question not to order a matching stand for my new razor. A Wolfman razor is not just another razor for me.

#2 pondered. Then he got up from his round-shaped chair. From his point of view, this case was one for the tribunal.
That's why he took me straight there...

View attachment 1608044
Walking down the stairs, I wondered what might happen here...

Before the tribunal, I then was asked to defend my case. I explained that from my point of view there was no real reason to defend my decision.

I raised the argument that if I had bought a different razor, which would have been sold with the stand automatically included, this purchase would not be a violation of the rules either.

Silent mumbling from the jury.

Before I was released from the trial, #2 announced that he would let me know soon whether I would be allowed to stay. [ @KQY61]

He would get back to me - or just send Rover.

With these words, the jury dismissed me. Whilst climbing the stairs I emphasized that I really would like to stay in The Village...

On my way home, I mulled over the issue. But still, I don't consider myself unmutual because of adding the stand to my purchase...

Be seeing you!
Hi,

Well, I said at the beginning that anything one was on a list for but hadn't paid for was OK for this year. I consider that a last year purchase. As for the Stand, that's OK too. As someone mentioned, some makers include the stand and some don't. If you come up on the list to pay for the razor and then want the stand, I consider that part of the razor deal - a separate price doesn't really matter in the large scheme of things here.

Stan - Still In and avoiding everything - I hope.

If you post a change, then I'll alter my master list.
Hi Stan, thanks for your explanations and interpretations. Good to know for a future event.

I am good by the way, I was merely reacting to ewk - who is it now anyway, and fortunately for us lingering around at the outskirts of the Village.

My personal exception still stands and as a placeholder actually, because I might run out or not. Deciding to join GRUYERE was more of a spontaneous action than deliberate thought and process.

So far I am liking where this is going. I have had some urges, but other brothers and your explanations too have kept me on the straight path.

I am taking it one month after another and currently focus on completing the first quarter. I think my personal record for GRUME will be shattered when I complete February (I am infamous for failing GRUMEs - even some in the last day).

Thanks for your guidance and background info - your experience is super helpful for me in how to go about GRUYERE.

Cheers,

Guido

Still in.

View attachment 1608041

#2 gave me the pre-announced call this morning.I had just returned from my morning walk when the phone rang...

I had a walk at the cliffs earlier because it's a good place to watch the sunrise.
Speaking of watching... how did #2 know that I had come home just at that moment? It was probably just a coincidence. Or?

However, #2 asked me to visit him in his premises in the Green Dome.

View attachment 1608050

When I arrived, I was led to the visiting room. There #2 was already waiting for me.

View attachment 1608051

#2 greeted me friendly and examined me for a long time. Then he offered me breakfast. I gladly accepted this invitation, since I had not had breakfast before my morning walk.

View attachment 1608052

While I was eating, #2 casually asked if he could ask me a few questions. I answered in the affirmative.

Whether I would be comfortable with my stay in The Village, he asked.
I nodded, chewing.

He had heard I was a fan of wet shaving. Nod.

He asked if I still would feel the urge to add more razors to my collection.
I looked up. How could he know about this, I thought... Hesitantly I nodded again.

He had been told that I had placed an order on a razor last night.

The conversation now took a somewhat unpleasant turn. I mean... how did he know this? I confirmed.

Then he raised his voice and asked:
"Why don't you want to resign...resigning from buying another razor?"

I explained that I had signed up on a manufacturer's waiting list before coming to The Village, and that it was my turn to place my order now... I added, I was permitted to purchase a razor during my stay at The Village.
I then explained to him that the razor I ordered really was a special one I was lusting for quite some time.

#2 raised an eyebrow. Whether it is not true that I also ordered a stand for said razor?!

This guy was really well informed, I had to admit. I replied that it was true, but I explained to him that I would always buy a matching stand for all the razors I value, if a matching stand was available.

For me it was out of the question not to order a matching stand for my new razor. A Wolfman razor is not just another razor for me.

#2 pondered. Then he got up from his round-shaped chair. From his point of view, this case was one for the tribunal.
That's why he took me straight there...

View attachment 1608044
Walking down the stairs, I wondered what might happen here...

Before the tribunal, I then was asked to defend my case. I explained that from my point of view there was no real reason to defend my decision.

I raised the argument that if I had bought a different razor, which would have been sold with the stand automatically included, this purchase would not be a violation of the rules either.

Silent mumbling from the jury.

Before I was released from the trial, #2 announced that he would let me know soon whether I would be allowed to stay. [ @KQY61]

He would get back to me - or just send Rover.

With these words, the jury dismissed me. Whilst climbing the stairs I emphasized that I really would like to stay in The Village...

On my way home, I mulled over the issue. But still, I don't consider myself unmutual because of adding the stand to my purchase...

Be seeing you!
Just for your story telling ability alone, I would give you a bye.

Synthetic Sundays!!!
Still In GRUME, GRUYERE, 365 Shaves, Fruity February & OBIF

PXL_20230218_171345204.jpg
RR Hawk
Feather DX
Artist Club blades (#7 & #19)
Body Shop Maca Root & Aloe
Orange essential oil
Omega Evo 2.o

The Hawk razor exposes the edge of the blade quite a bit. I get above average audio feedback when using it. Todays goal was to reduce the feedback by refining my 'no pressure' technique to the extreme. The blade glided quietly and smoothly with the blade on it's 19th outing. I did the same extreme no pressure technique with the DX. All it took was two passes.

The Body Shop soap is no slouch. It was super hydrated and super slick. It has "Cucumis Sativus Fruit Extract" (cucumber) in it but I added a couple drops of orange essential oil just to be safe with the Fruity February crowd. The orange extract really did brighten my mood.

I am really surprised how these Feather blades are holding up. I stropped both blades about 20 laps on my biceps.
Thanks to LJ, @LJBraaten for the stropping idea and Guido, @JAHE for the essential oil scheme to make any soap "fruity".

Please take care of yourself...and each other.

Hi,

Normally, it's the 15th of January to figure out the exception. But, I never thought that exceptions should be so rigid. Even the No Exception. For me, it's a matter of personal pride to not have an exception at all. But, I can see where something might pop up which I would have declared if I had known about it earlier.

What we want to try and avoid is knee-jerk reaction impulse buying. So, decent thought ought to go into this. If you have done so and wish to change your exception I think that'll be OK. Still, though, only one per the year and specifically declared. If you post a change, then I'll alter my master list. This, rather then copying and pasting the one I post once in a while so I don't miss the fact.

Stan
I’m in this sabbatical for a reason, so I’ll hold off on my Lupo 72 purchase for another 10 months (assuming it’s still available). My other razors are performing admirably, so there is really no need for me to purchase it at this time. Besides, my wife would have a fit!

First shave with the WR2 1.25 SB. Yesterday it arrived in the mail and I patiently let it sit until this morning's shave. This was my only purchase exception for this year's GRUYERE as I was on the build list since November 5th.

Loaded up a Bic Chrome Platinum and it easily cut three days of growth. It's tough to compare it to my WR1 .86 OC after only one shave. Smooth and easy this morning.

20230219_093843.jpg

Top Bottom