2023 GRUYERE #49 - Still in
February 2023 GRUME #37 - Still in

Date: 02.11.23
Days growth: 3

Head shaver

Razor: 1933 Gillette Tech razor
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (5)
Brush: Custom elk antler Boar

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Dr. Bronner's Peppermint on face and head with facial scrubber.

Lather: Arko stick
Bowl: N/A face lather

Passes: 2.75

Post Shave Routine and products:
1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2
2 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
3 - Alum block
4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
5 - Aftershave - Grey Flannel
6 - Balm: LEA 3in1

Time from shower on to dressed and ready: 1hr.

NOTES: A real nice DFS+ shave. The 5th shave on the silver blue and it's done. I've not used a blade more than 4 times but figured this round I'm going to push each blade to 5 and for some, maybe beyond. The way I see it being a head shaver, it's like 10 shaves since I'm shaving more than double the area. Out of the 6 razors in rotation, the tech is my favorite. I'm glad it came up in the randomizer today. I did have some neck irritation but not sure why, otherwise no feedback or irritation.
Quality: 9.5
Comfort 8.75
Total: 9.123

#12 still rockin and rollin.

Today was a great shave with my Lupo 95, Stirling Gentleman soap and aftershave, Lord Platinum blade, and Stirling synthetic brush. My shave was firing on all cylinders…no irritation, no weepers, just a nice, smooth, close, comfortable shave. I really need to use my Lupo more often…it’s a really good razor and competes with my top performers which makes it the best bang for the buck razor in my den.

Synthetic Sundays!!! and Super Bowl Sunday
Still In GRUME, GRUYERE, SWS, 365 Shaves, Fruity February & OBIF

PXL_20230211_213938874b.jpg

RazoRock Hawk
Feather AC Pro (12)
TOBS Grapefruit
RR Big Bruce

Kathy and I are trying to keep up with our 94 years young "mum" (as some of you guys across the pond would say). A family pizza and junk food party is planned for the afternoon followed by watching the Super Bowl.

"Mum" smelled the TOBS cream and instantly identified it as grapefruit. She also wondered why I have so many brushes! I got the 'look' from her that most of us can identify with when we discuss our hobby with the uninitiated.

On to the shave. It was rough. So was yesterday. Today I had a hot shower, good prep and a slick lather. I did my best to use no pressure. The second pass was still rough but better. I did a few touch up areas and ended with a DFS result.
I palm and towel stropped the blade and will make the lather as slick as possible tomorrow and see what happens.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Another lazy, easy shave with a 7 yr old Mike’s that got a light bloom while in the shower, sitting in a soap cup my dad’s wife made me back when, and the only brush I’ve used this year to date. I really, really like this Zenith. Unbleached is lovely. Some of the best $8 I ever spent.

Be seeing you…

2F63F1EB-0887-4A73-AE0E-DC0EFAD2BA75.jpeg

Date13.02.2023
365 days of shaving44/365 (100%)
GRUYERE44/365 (100%)
GRUME February13/28 (100%)
02/12 (100%)
Other participations
  • Shave of the Week Society (SWS)
  • Discovery Blade Adventure
  • One Blade in February (OBiF)

Passes3
XWTGCheeks: N-S
Neck: N-S
WXTGCheeks L: W-E
Cheeks R: E-W
Neck: S-N
XATGCheeks: S-N
Neck: S-N (slanted)

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle R41
Timeless Ti95SCL
Tiger Platinum (1)
Tiger Platinum (6)
Omega Super Badger
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashDutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)9/10 (buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still in. There are some interesting products coming to market. And for now I have just out them in the list for when this year is done. Cruising along.

Doing a daily double today. The R41 with a fresh blade and the Ti95 with the current blade. After this shave the fresh blade will migrate to the razor for the week - the Matador Deluxe.

Further details to this shave and more can be found in my journal here.

Great shave! Enjoy yours today!

no 55 still in

sotd 13-2

Have had better shaves. Comfort was excellent, but face usually is smoother. Must be combination of blade in this razor. Because both blade and the razor have given me better shaves before, though not in this combination.

Blackland Blackbird Lite SS
Gillette King C (2)
Omega 10019
Cella almond
Pitralon Classic AS
Balea Sensitive ASB

proxy.php

proxy.php

Muhle Mondays!

PXL_20230213_135410217.MP.jpg

RR Hawk
Feather DX (not in photo)
Feather AC Pro (1) and (13)
Muhle XL STF
TOBS Grapefruit

With a new blade in the Hawk, the first pass was smooth as butter. On a whim, I put the older blade in the DX straight razor and used it for the second pass. I am used to using the straight razor at a shallower angle but today I had to go steeper. It was a much better shave than yesterday. Today it seems the older AC blade is working better in the DX than the Hawk. In the end I didn't try too hard and ended with a DFS result.
This evening Kathy and I are taking our 94 years young "mum" and my 91 years young "girlfriend" out to eat. If you don't have "older" folks in your life, you don't know what your missing!

#33...John

Called for jury duty today. They called us by number . Really had to restrain myself and not say "I am a man not a number !" But I don't think the judge would have been to happy with me.
Did have a great shave today Lupo. 72 Nacet blade. Stirling Sheep unscented and Clubman a/s.
Be seeing you! #4

PXL_20230213_180724679.jpg

RR Hawk with blade # 2
Feather DX with blade # 14
Feather Artist Club Pro blades
Semogue 830
TOBS Grapefruit

Hey Guys
Today the 830 brush seemed irresistible. If it were not for DecemBOAR last year I wouldn't know how special a boar brush can be. I am even thinking about adding the big Omega Italian to the rotation.

The shave was interesting. I used very cold water for the prep and made sure the lather was slick. Every day I use the TOBS cream I find it can take more water than I thought.

Three days ago I was ready to toss the older blade. I'm glad I didn't. Since I am a newbie with a straight razor, maybe I am just gaining more experience and learning how to make adjustments with the DX. I am even having to make adjustments with the Hawk. Both razors and blades are working good. I was a little surprised to end up with a DFS+ with little effort. Maybe I am acquiring some of LJ's, @LJBraaten skills of learning to adapt to a slightly broken in blade.

To top it off, I did several cold water splashes and used Nivea Sensitive Cooling balm combined with Hydro Boost for a refreshing finish.

Top Bottom