XATGCheeks: S-N

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95SCLTiger Platinum (2)DVH Synthetic
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashDutchy Bergamot
Hybrid lathering
Cold splash

EfficiencyQuality
8/10 (~29 minutes)10/10 (clean as a whistle)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)8/10 (smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still in and liking this challenge/ experience a lot. Weirdly I find it easier to be in the yearly restraint than in the monthly ones with yearly definitely supporting my success rate monthly.

A second run of the Ti95SCL with the Tiger. And again a very nice and enjoyable shave. No irritations, weepers or similar mishaps.

Further details can be found in my journal here.

Enjoy your shave today!

no #55 still in

yesterday's sotd 7-2

What a superb razor it still is, can compete with each and everyone in my small collection!

Razorock Game Changer 0.84-P
Gillette King C (1)
Frank Shaving Pur-tech
Stirling Sheep
Balea Sensitive ASB
Calvin Klein Man edt

proxy.php

proxy.php

Still in

The blade started to tug some today, I think it's time for a new blade.

Razor: Schick Type L2 Stick Schick
Blade: Schick Injector blade (24)
Soap: Wickham Soap Co. 1912 Scottish Heather
Brush: Vie-Long BGS 2012 Butterscotch Beehive Horse
AS: Pinaud Clubman

Earworm alert: anyone else have the theme song playing over and over in your head?
Hi,

Yes. I have had it as my phone ring tone for decades now. You know, a Prisoner to a cell phone.... ;)

Since 1994 when I moved from IBM to Ericsson and was required to carry a cell phone always. Back then, it was a simple series of notes. Later, we changed things so the phone could play a wave file. Then I got the actual theme.

These days, of course, just about everyone carries a cell phone, always. And, generally, work isn't supplying the phone and paying for the account. We do that on our own. (!)

I prefer the Out Theme (from the end of an episode) over the Intro Theme, but I have them both and change from time to time.

You cannot escape! Ringtone, er, Rover, will get you! :p

Be Seeing You

Stan

Thanks Stan. I’m cool with that. I just didn’t want to put too much burden on the gifter in terms of shipping - that’s all.

Guido
Hi,

Understood.

And, I agree with that, BTW. I'm tempted to say that ought to be OK, but then that's probably: Set Worm Can to Open.

I wasn't In from the beginning of these, and suspect there had been an open can of worms early on that resulted in the rule. I didn't pay attention until near the end of 2013 when I was thinking of signing up for 2014. I think all the rules came about during the first couple of years.

It's really the purpose of all this: To stick with what we have and carry on for an entire year. There are the Monthlies for staying put for a short time to think about what's next. Used to be there were Quarterlies as well, but they seem to have died out some time ago now.

We have a Theme to try and have some fun while we are sticking with what we already have and not following Mr Bunny.

Stan - Still In

Still in and liking this challenge/ experience a lot. Weirdly I find it easier to be in the yearly restraint than in the monthly ones with yearly definitely supporting my success rate monthly.
Hey Guido, I am a bit the opposite!! The idea of being in restraint for the year, winds me up a little! I am glad for the exception!

Monthly restraints seem more manageable for me because if an AD hits hard you can ride it out for a couple of weeks, but if you have to wait for months, FOMO kicks in for me.

I do agree the gravitas of a yearly sabbatical makes it easier to complete the monthly restraint.

We have a Theme to try and have some fun while we are sticking with what we already have and not following Mr Bunny.
Speaking of following Mr. Bunny, I was just reminded of an old-timey song some goober recorded a decade before he was introduced to the gentlemanly art of shaving. Was this a prophetic inspiration or just coincidence?

Be seeing you.

I am glad for the exception!
O, I am in favour of exceptions! I might have picked the wrong one, but ok.

And I get what you are saying. I have failed numerous GRUMEs and was totally fine with that. And i cannot explain it, but since a rather spontaneous decision to join GRUYERE (so without any checking if my stock is enough) something zen has come over me where I am enjoying what I have and enjoying the rotation I can do with all very fine razors.

I have to admit I have less FOMO (or I would have jumped on the GC1 when I could) perhaps and usually can park FOMO in other areas as well. I like razors though and yes seeing all the latest and greatest is a test and not always easy. I’d love to get a short comb for example - just to know how that shaves. Seen a couple and sitting on my hand helps! Soaps are another major test.

But so far so good I must say. We’ll see what the future holds. I will at least be ready with a smooth face!

Keep it up! You are doing great!!

Guido

Last edited:
@tjsgarden
That Feather has now engaged cruise control! ;)
I am actually proud that I can do a complete shave with a straight razor.
Two months ago, and the first few efforts I almost gave up.

I only have one other razor that uses an AC blade. I may switch to the RazoRock Hawk on Saturday.
I am still concerned that the blade may not make it all of February. (OBIF challenge). I'll bet LJ, @LJBraaten would be on #147 with the blade.

I am actually proud that I can do a complete shave with a straight razor.
Two months ago, and the first few efforts I almost gave up.

I only have one other razor that uses an AC blade. I may switch to the RazoRock Hawk on Saturday.
I am still concerned that the blade may not make it all of February. (OBIF challenge). I'll bet LJ, @LJBraaten would be on #147 with the blade.
I don't want you to get too far ahead of yourself, but you will have to adjust your technique at some point. You may adjust it automatically so do pay attention so you don't repeat it with a new blade, ouch! The Hawk may be more prone to tugging if the blade is getting past 10 from experience, maybe sooner.

By technique, I mean you have two options, the first one is the accidental automatic one, increasing the blade angle(steeper). As your technique(stability) improves, this can be OK to a degree, but can become a bad habit. Unfortunately, the second option is to keep the angle super shallow and really shorten your strokes. Even at 20, I could still buff my way to a SAS. But it may just stop grabbing hairs at some point and skip over them no matter how many passes you make... only one way to find out!

By technique, I mean you have two options, the first one is the accidental automatic one, increasing the blade angle(steeper). As your technique(stability) improves, this can be OK to a degree, but can become a bad habit. Unfortunately, the second option is to keep the angle super shallow and really shorten your strokes. Even at 20, I could still buff my way to a SAS. But it may just stop grabbing hairs at some point and skip over them no matter how many passes you make... only one way to find out!
Ned,
Up until today, I have been shaving at a very shallow angle. Today I had to go a little steeper. Around my jawline I do have to keep the strokes short.
In the One Blade in February challenge I can use a 2nd blade as long it is the same type- a Feather AC Pro. I'm not ready to make a change because I am curious how far I can reasonably go with this blade.
I am also learning to be more comfortable using my non-dominant hand. Skin tightening is a lot more important with a straight edge...and slicker lather...and a lighter touch.
Yesterday I mentioned I was going to shave later in the day. It's the caffeine effect. I'm good to go after one cup of coffee but after two or more cups I noticed my hand was not as steady. Tomorrow I may shave after the first cup and see how that works.
I never was wowed with the Hawk but will give it a try Saturday.

20230208_065749.jpg

2023 GRUYERE #49 - Still in
February 2023 GRUME #37 - Still in

Date: 02.08.23
Days growth: 3

Head shaver

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Personna med Prep (2)
Brush: Parker synthetic

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Dr. Bronners rose on face and head with facial scrubber

Lather: Burma-shave 1990's re-release puck and mug.

Passes: 3

Post Shave Routine and products:
1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2
2 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
3 - Alum block
4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
5 - Aftershave - Mamara #2
6 - Balm: Nivea sensitive skin

Time from shower on to dressed and ready: 55min.

NOTES: Just a great shave! I did nic my upper lip pretty good but not horrible. The Burma-shave was very plesant and provided good creamy lather that was slick enough and had good cushion. I love my Progress and love the med Prep blades.

Quality 9.5
Comfort 9.0
Overall: 9.25

Top Bottom