SOTD (037/2021)
06-02-2021

>> "One blade in February"- challenge <<

View attachment 1219117

Preshave: frigid tap water.
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: Mäurer & Wirtz ~ Tabac
Razor: 1962 Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword China (06)
Postshave: frigid tap water; Stirling Soap ~ Orange Chill AS & psb.

Shave no. 6, still on the first edge. The chinese Gillette Wilki is standing strong.
3 passes today, dfs+.

JAHE- still in!

yes have also found the Shanghai Wilkinsons to be great. Good luck on the month, I have never tried pushing past 8 or 9 days.

yes have also found the Shanghai Wilkinsons to be great. Good luck on the month, I have never tried pushing past 8 or 9 days.

Thank you. I chose this blade since I am not familiar with it's longevity... As of yet I did not determine a significant loss of sharpness (maybe just a tad...)
I guess the interesting part of this year's competition will start subsequent to Valentine's day...
Have a nice Sunday!

SOTD (038/2021)
07-02-2021

20210207_150712-01-01-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue TSN 2020 LE 3-band badger
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Deep Blue Sea
Razor: Mühle R108
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword China (07)
Postshave: frigid tap water; Stirling Soap ~ Deep Blue Sea AS & psb.

Shave no. 7.
Switched razors today and entered the second blade edge in order to "align" both edges in terms of sharpness in course of the next days, prior to switching to a more aggressive razor.

Furthermore, I had a debut with my new boar brush. What a lovely piece of craftmanship she 😉 is...

Enjoy your Sunday!

JAHE- still in.

Having fun focusing on technique and making comparisons of different combinations. Right now, i am going between a Parker 24C and a Maggard (V2?) Open comb. Side by side, the only apparent difference is the handle. Slight edge to the Parker on finish quality but that is purely subjective. Rotated days with Voshkod in each, alternating between Cella and ProRaso Red. Virtually undetectable difference in shaves over 5 days. I would have given a slight edge to Cella for the after shave feel but that was not true every day. Working the same comparison using Polsiver Super Iridium blades. These are noticeably smoother than the Voshkod so far, having just finished the third day with the Parker and ProRaso.
I have been face lathering using an Omega 40033 pure bristle brush. This has a tiny handle with a 24 Knot that I have really come to like. I have attached a picture that gives perspective compared to Semogue 830 and Razorock Monster. This little brush lathers nicely and has a very pronounced feel to the bristles. It is breaking in nicely and is becoming a really nice daily user. For $7.00, it is a leading contender for the best value in shaving. The only downside is that the small handle is hard to reach the bottom of a tub of Proraso. Continuing break in will only improve.

Brushes.jpg

Still in.
Also participating in the of Feb One Blade challenge, I've pushed now to day 9 on my Wilkinson Vintage Blade. I gave myself an easy day by using the Rex Ambassador set on 2. Very smooth, no nicks or cuts.
Lathering was using a Simpsons Chubby 3 Manchurian Moon Java with TOBS Sandalwood Soap, a really satisfying experience too.

I've offloaded 2 TOBS items as part of an Australian soap pass around box I received today, adding about 100 blades to boldly go forth to a new shaving galaxy.

SOTD (039/2021)
08-02-2021

20210208_102325-01.jpeg

Brush: Razorock Big Bruce
Soap: Proraso ~ Azur Lime SC
Razor: Mühle R89
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword China (08)
Postshave: frigid tap water; Proraso ~ Azur Lime.

In course of cleaning the blade it slipped out of my hand and fell on the bathroom floor. I hope I haven't harmed the blade edge... Stupid me. Besides, shave no. 8 was as effortless as expected. Just a tad too much gravitation inside of our spaceship... 😉

JAHE- still in.

I am still in but am constantly tempted

SOTD
Razor: Rockwell 6c Plate 4
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (08)
Soap: Tabac

I got the order from the captain that all Red Shirts were to use Tabac for their shave today. I love Tabac so I could not refuse. A few days in the brig for failing to obey a direct order would be a welcome vacation from this failing blade. If things don’t at least stabilize I may have to start skipping days to finish the OBIF challenge.

Even with the failing blade, I did get a two pass DFS with a lot of touch up. So much touchup was required that I thought about calling Lt. Uhura over to help me finish the buffing; my arm was getting tired. This blade is really deteriorating fast but I finished with very little irritation.

This blade and I am going to make it to the end of the month, but it might take the assistance of Spock, Sulu, and Scotty to get us there. I suspect that even with their help the shaves by then will be less than stellar. I have to work the trouble spots quite a bit right now but have not needed the services of Dr. McCoy. As this blade continues to degrade the good doctor may be required.

Hopefully, with the assistance of all of those mentioned above, this blade will stabilize at this reduced rate of efficiency for a good while.

SOTD02082021.jpg

I am still in but am constantly tempted

SOTD
Razor: Rockwell 6c Plate 4
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (08)
Soap: Tabac

I got the order from the captain that all Red Shirts were to use Tabac for their shave today. I love Tabac so I could not refuse. A few days in the brig for failing to obey a direct order would be a welcome vacation from this failing blade. If things don’t at least stabilize I may have to start skipping days to finish the OBIF challenge.

Even with the failing blade, I did get a two pass DFS with a lot of touch up. So much touchup was required that I thought about calling Lt. Uhura over to help me finish the buffing; my arm was getting tired. This blade is really deteriorating fast but I finished with very little irritation.

This blade and I am going to make it to the end of the month, but it might take the assistance of Spock, Sulu, and Scotty to get us there. I suspect that even with their help the shaves by then will be less than stellar. I have to work the trouble spots quite a bit right now but have not needed the services of Dr. McCoy. As this blade continues to degrade the good doctor may be required.

Hopefully, with the assistance of all of those mentioned above, this blade will stabilize at this reduced rate of efficiency for a good while.

View attachment 1220025

Maybe you can switch to a more aggressive razor in order to compensate the blade's fading sharpness... ?

Prologue:

Captain Diego Tiberius Archon leaned back in his chair, and rubbed his eyes, loading supplies and stock for a year long mission took a long time, and involved many checks and follow up checks. Still even with these he knew by experience that items would be missed, some would be mislabeled and stored incorrectly, and of course his crew. He was quite happy with the crew, but he knew that everyone has some weaknesses, and the worry of smuggling was always in the back of his mind. He chuckled at the memories that came back, when he was a Lieutenant; he had managed to sneak some Korovian brandy in his personal luggage. Of course, when he was found passed out the episode came out, what a hangover that gave him. He had no idea that the alcohol was so high, and it reacted with his earth food diet to make even more potent.

The young nurse rushed down the corridor, trailing her luggage with her, scanning the door markers as she went. Finally, she found her quarters paused, and opened the door, it shut quickly behind her. She waved at her roommate, and carefully lifted her bag to her bed. She unzipped it and a little squealing sound was heard, almost like a small giggle. Then a soft cooing sound filled the room. Her roommate put down her reading tablet and came over, “Is that what I think it is?” “Yup, it is a Primple.” She passed it over, they exchanged glances. ”It is so soft, and cuddly.” “Yes I got the last one, at least that is what the lady selling them said.” “She told me they are easy to look after, no problem at all.”

A long sleek and narrow ship slowly maneuvered in the asteroid cloud, observing, scanning. The cloaked figure in the Captains chair smiled, reached down to the small stand by his chair and picked up a hot drink container. He sipped the hot dark brown beverage and let out a sigh of enjoyment. Thinking “That is the one saving grace of that pitiful planet, this crop they called coffee, Maxwell House coffee, good to the last drop as the advertised.”

The stealthy narrow ship scanned and quietly probed the ESS Superspeed, noting the cargo and crew that were loading. Starlight glinted off of the blade-like spine of the ship.

“So, they are sending out another ship on a year long mission, and none other than Diego Tiberius Archon will be Captain. Perfect, I will pick up from our last encounter.” He thought.

Captain Archon, yawned, and leaned forward in his chair, once again going over the manifests and lists. Shortly it will be done and they will start the mission. It put him in a good mood.

@Pepin Just wondering... do you intend to continue the story?
That would be great... 🖖

Crew Member 37 reporting and still on duty. Nearly 11% of the distance traveled safely.

Shave N.37 (!)

Razor: King C. Gillette
Blade: King C. Gillette (2)
Brush: Yaqi Aqua Two-band badger
Soap: Declaration Grooming Cuir Et Epices
AS: Old Spice Original

DG Cuir Et Epices is among my favorite soaps. Stellar performance and a great scent. Unfortunately it is very near to end, a big hole has formed on the bottom of the tub and I don't have a spare. I hope it will still be in production in 2022 :crying:.

SOTD (040/2021)
09-02-2021

20210209_095106-01.jpeg

Brush: Shavemac Synthetic 26/54
Soap: Mike's ~ Orange, Cedar & Black Pepper
Razor: Mühle R89
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword China (09)
Postshave: frigid tap water; Stirling Soap Orange Chill AS & psb
Fragrance: Lagerfeld ~ Bois du Cèdre

Though I dropped the blade yesterday, it appears that I did not damage the edges 😅 Another fine shave today (shave#3 on the second edge), no flaws to report.

JAHE- still in.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Today's shave...no picture. Still in.

Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum shave soap
Cream: Captain's Choice 45th Parallel shave cream
Brush: Maggards Synthetic
Razor: Karve Brass OC (Plate B)
Blade: Derby Premium (3)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Bay Rum scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: Ogallala Bay Rum Double Strength

Overcast Tuesday Night Shave:
RR German 37 Slant
Personna Med Prep (3)
Semogue 610 boar brush
PAA Ice Cube 2.0 pre-shave soap
Captain's Choice Sandalwood Shaving Cream (sample)
Dickinson's witch hazel mixed with Duro Limon Kolonya
Captain's Choice Bay Rum Aftershave Balm (sample)

Clean, close shave; DFS+

cc-shave-1.png

Top Bottom