SOTD (035/2021)
04-02-2021

>> "One blade in February"- challenge <<

20210204_105114-01.jpeg

Preshave: frigid tap water.
Brush: Semogue 1800
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Executive Man
Razor: 1962 Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword China (04)
Postshave: frigid tap water; Stirling Soap ~ Executive Man AS.

JAHE - still in!

First decent shave in February, Tabac to the rescue.

I utterly failed to make anything that can be even remotely called lather.
I rinsed the brush and kept it's bristles in warm water for about 5 minutes.

Then I used only painting motions, no round/ swirling motion (as suggested in brush care card), and Chubby 3 being a Chubby, ate up every trace of Tabac :letterk1:

Razor : RR Game Changer OC 84
Blade : Gillette 7 O'clock Black (3)
Brush : Chubby 3/ Beehive
Soap : Tabac Original
A/ S : Alum Bloc and Anherb ASC

BBS Confirm

With some of the Stirling Soaps on the way and given that I've found Tabac and Vitos Super Extra Coco as extremely well performance soaps for me, my thirst for soaps is quenched.

I know there are hundreds and hundreds of soaps available, but being available doesn't necessarily mean that I have to try each of them.

This is a realisation that is both hard to accept and difficult to follow for me, but for the sake of sanity and keeping this hobby a healthy part of my life, it's necessary.

Still, a few soaps that have soft corner in my heart (Fitjar Island) will be obtained later, and I'm in no hurry, atleast this will give me incentive to wait and then enjoy them more.

IMG_20210204_221454.jpg

SOTD (036/2021)
05-02-2021

20210205_103519-01-01.jpeg

Brush: Yaqi Synthetic Toxido Knot 28/58
Soap: Saponificio Varesino ~ Manna di Sicilia 4.3
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword China (05)
Postshave: frigid tap water; BOSS Bottled AS.
Fragrance: BOSS Bottled EdT

I had another pleasant shave with the chinese made Gillette Wilkinson Sword. Almost bbs, again. Still one the first edge. She ;) seems to be an excellent blade for my face.

Maybe I'll switch the razor for tomorrow's shave, just because...The Flare Tip still provides great shaves...

JAHE - still in

My first boar brush is finally getting better and break-in is improving.

It is returning lather for 2 1/2 pass as opposed to 1 1/2 pass previously.

I haven't started using my SOC Boar in Cherry because I wanted to see how to properly use a boar brushes.

Tabac a noob's best friend in shaving.

RazoRock Game Changer OC 84
Omega 10005
Tabac Original
Anherb ASC
Gillette 7 O'clock Black (4)

IMG_20210205_201727.jpg

I haven't started using my SOC Boar in Cherry because I wanted to see how to properly use a boar brushes.

Omega 10005
Tabac Original
Anherb ASC

View attachment 1218474
You can't go far wrong with an Omega boar brush. They break in really well and quickly. However, shorter lofted brushes like your 10005 (54mm) can struggle to hold enough lather for 3 passes.

That's just a good excuse to get the daddy of all boar brushes - the 10048 with its 65mm of glorious lather holding boar bristle :) The black, red or white 10049 (62mm) is also a winner.

You can't go far wrong with an Omega boar brush. They break in really well and quickly. However, shorter lofted brushes like your 10005 (54mm) can struggle to hold enough lather for 3 passes.

That's just a good excuse to get the daddy of all boar brushes - the 10048 with its 65mm of glorious lather holding boar bristle :) The black, red or white 10049 (62mm) is also a winner.
Thanks for your suggestions.
I'm starting to understand the importance and behaviour of lofts in boar brushes.

I have an Omega 10098 (currently undergoing the process of break-in).
I was torn between the 10005 and Proraso professional, but went ahead with 10005.

It's a good but small brush, good as training wheels for boar brush.

If (big if) I survive my urges of SAD for the GRUYERE, I'll definitely treat myself with another big boar brush for sure.

Omega 10005
Tabac Original
Anherb ASC

View attachment 1218474
I also have the Omega 10005 and the Semogue SOC boar, also in the cherry handle.

I love the Omega but have never got consistent results from the Semogue. It works best when I load like a madman. Perhaps that is not in my nature.

I'm used to loading lightly with the synthetic brushes, so I feel like I need to load my Omegas like a madman, and given that I've come across a Chubby 3 in best badger - Madness reaches new heights :letterk1:

I'm using my not so expensive soaps to learn how to load correctly, for Chubby 3 I think, triple milled soaps will be a better idea.

A good day of restraint.
I have jettisoned out the airlock 3 more razors this month (4 last month). Last year I went on a blitz of vintage razor discovery and acquisition, and now I'm returning a lot this equipment back for others . It just seems a waste to keep stored up if never used or loved.

Today's Shave:
Blade: Wilkinson Sword White Vintage (day 7)
Razor: Gillette Adjustable Fatboy
Soap: SV 70th Anniversary
Brush: Simpsons Chubby 1 Manchurian

SV Soap and Chubby 1 manchurian brush...Sublime. First time I've matched these two items up.

I used the Fatboy on 5 for first pass, then dialed it up to 7 for two remaining passes (wtg/xtg). Compared to the Mugle R41 the fatboy is very smooth and feels very safe, absolutely no damage done compared to the residual cuts the R41 seems to leave behind.

Arko to the rescue because Chubby 3 hogged the lather from Vitos.

I almost got a workable lather with Chubby 3, then it just wasn't there anymore.

Hmmm, I might have to use Arko on Big Bess, maybe Arko will force it to surrender (give lather).

Razor : RR Game Changer OC 84
Brush : Chubby 3 / RR Beehive
Blade : Gillette 7 O'clock Black (5)
Soap : Vitos SEC / Arko
A/ S : Anherb ASC

Blade left many spots unshaved, so apart from lack of lather in 1st pass, having to change the brush and soap mid shave - it can be considered an adventurous shave, especially since no blood was drawn.

IMG_20210206_205944.jpg

SOTD (037/2021)
06-02-2021

20210206_170030-01-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: Mäurer & Wirtz ~ Tabac
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword China (06)
Postshave: frigid tap water; Stirling Soap ~ Orange Chill AS & psb.

Shave no. 6, still on the first edge. The chinese Gillette Wilki is standing strong.
3 passes today, dfs+.

JAHE- still in!

Still in. Although I’ve been looking at the SOC mistura with the butterscotch handle! 😬😬 making plans for next year, or might try to trade for one.
Razor: Karve SS CB SB-B
Blade: Astra SS
Brush: Sagrada Familia
Bowl: Timeless
Soap: RR Gold Label
A/S: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Finally figured out this soap! Need to use a drier brush. Synthetics seem to work best on this one for me. Great smooth shave today. Have a great day y’all!
1F335D02-3789-4841-B0FF-17DECFE91B14.jpeg

Top Bottom