What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

SOTD (# 70/2020)
17-04-2020

20200417_170032-01-01.jpeg

Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: Semogue Owners Club (Boar)
Soap: Hawkins & Brimble ~ Elemi & Ginseng Shaving Creme (Sample)
Razor: Mühle R41 (2013)
Blade: Astra Super Platinum (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Majestät AS

JAHE - still in

(Soap samples: minus 10;
After shave balm: minus 2)

SOTD (# 71/2020)
19-04-2020

20200419_133437-01.jpeg

Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: Semogue 830 (Boar)
Soap: Tabac
Blade: Astra Super Platinum (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Majestät AS

JAHE - still in

(Soap samples: minus 10;

I'm finally can see the bottom of my Razorock XXX soap--I expected it would have been gone by now, but it's probably still got 2 or 3 weeks left in it. I loved the OneBlade core that put me out so much that I upgraded to the Genesis (sold some razors to pay for it). The Core has been sent to my brother who wanted to try it. Besides that, I'm just trying to burn through soap and AS which is going way slower than I anticipated.

Still out! Good luck to those still in--being locked inside because of this pandemic has made the restraint this year much harder than I expected.

SOTD (# 72/2020)
20-04-2020

20200420_173142-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water
Brush: NOM Gustav Havanna Synthetic
Soap: Barrister and Mann ~ Fougère Angelique (sample)
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill Witch Hazel + Balm.

JAHE - still in

(Soap samples: minus 11;

Man... this not leaving the house is making it pretty easy to survive this challenge here late. I haven’t shaved in over a week!

That doesn’t happen in my world often.

SOTD (# 73/2020)
21-04-2020

20200422_073152-01.jpeg

Brush: Thäter 4125/2 2-Band Silvertip Badger Imperial Red 26 Fan Rounded
Soap: Dr. John's ~ Defiance (Sample)
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Vintage Classic TTO
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Nivea After Shave Balm

JAHE - still in...

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Raven Koenes, Car 57, 1939 Fiat 1500 B (still in)

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Bolzano (3)
Brush: APShaveco SynBad
Soap: Omega Eucalipto
Aftershave: Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
039_40.jpg

Everything seems to be going right this week. I love my Fatip Lo Storto. It pairs very well with Bolzano blades. Omega Eucalipto is a very good soap, and I love Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum. I did a three pass shave today that was bbs with a dfs on my neck. Tomorrow I may do the same. Life is good.

Hmm, @KQY61 reminded me I should come clean. Stan's post reminded me that I have made a shavings related purchase recently. And since everyone likes pictures

shavings.jpg

Yup, I picked up a #7 hand plane and am part way through leveling a new workbench. I made the mistake of picking up a book by C. Schwarz that researches the origins of workbenches. He spends alot of time talking about the low roman style workbench and when I saw someone on youtube talk about it I read the book and have made my own out of 10 or so 2x4s. The top is about not completely smooth/level yet but it it getting there. Once I get it finished I will post a picture of the bench.

Ruckin (still in)

SOTD (# 74/2020)
22-04-2020

20200423_114722-01.jpeg

Brush: Stirling Soap Finest Badger Fan 24/50
Soap: Mitchell's Woolfat Soap
Razor: shimmed Wilkinson Sword Vintage Classic TTO
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Nivea After Shave Balm

JAHE - still in

Hmm, @KQY61 reminded me I should come clean. Stan's post reminded me that I have made a shavings related purchase recently. And since everyone likes pictures

View attachment 1090365

Yup, I picked up a #7 hand plane and am part way through leveling a new workbench. I made the mistake of picking up a book by C. Schwarz that researches the origins of workbenches. He spends alot of time talking about the low roman style workbench and when I saw someone on youtube talk about it I read the book and have made my own out of 10 or so 2x4s. The top is about not completely smooth/level yet but it it getting there. Once I get it finished I will post a picture of the bench.

Ruckin (still in)
Bravo to you for having the patience to plane it by hand. I'd have gotten some machine to help me :).

Technically speaking I consider a hand plane a machine. I was pretty surprised how fast it goes once you learn to sharpen the iron. Also I figured I need to work my way up the learning curve as I have several slabs bigger than 4x10 ft and even if I could lift them by hand I would hate to see how much that electric planer would cost :eek2:

To swing back around to shaving I have been thinking I might take one of my straights in need of honing to some of the stones I use for sharpening my woodworking tools just to see if I can figure out how to make my razor shave ready instead of needing to be sent out to get honed. Unfortunately if I switch to using a straight on a regular basis my 2364 DE blades will last even longer (i.e. forever and then some).

Ruckin (still in)

.ps if you have a 60+ inch planer and a big truck give me a call.

SOTD (# 75/2020)
23-04-2020

20200423_120003-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue 1800 (Boar)
Soap: Gentleman's Nod ~ Jackie (sample)
Razor: Razorock SLOC
Blade: Astra blue Stainless Steel (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, S.Oliver Superior AS.

JAHE - still on the road...

View attachment 1090365

Ruckin (still in)

Hi,

Makes me wish I had snapped a few pics of me shaving the rubber off the BF Goodrich tires they made us use on the Legends Cars. They had a specific formula for that 'spec series' so we'd all be on the same rubber.

The issue with that was, the street tire had way, way too much rubber on the cap and it would squirm all over the place. Those cars were a handling handful as it was: short wheelbase, locked rear end, narrow track, and a motorcycle engine with a massive torque peak that would make those tires snake all over the track. And, that on a straight. Wait until you got into a turn. (!)

So, the solution was to remove 90% of the new tire tread. This was done on a machine which looked rather like a brake lathe. It spun the tire on the wheel and there was a circular blade that spun on its own motor and it would literally shave the rubber off the tire as the blade moved back and forth over the cap.

This way, too, you could also cut the tread on an angle for oval track racing. Put in the camber to match the slip angle of the cap to the bead in a turn. I had tire sets which were specific to certain tracks when it came to that angle.

Or, a straight cut for the road course car. And, really shaved road tires for the dry and a 2/3 cut for the rain. With the massively cut road course tires, a set would last one weekend. But, the heat tended to make that rubber hard, so that was about all one wanted to use them for anyway.

The BFG tires were $90 each, so a lot cheaper than the real racing tires I used in other series which ran in the $400-500 range each (but one didn't have to cut those down). So, the idea of using a set of tires for two days was actually cheap. Those real racing tires lasted one day of practice, qualifying and one race.

Anyway, if I had a pic, I'd post one to show a racing-related form of shaving! :p

Stan

Still in! I can never remember my number...

I'm enjoying what I have. I've used my exception, a beautiful Paladin brush that I'm getting the hang of. The darnedest thing is happening on this sabbatical, a few soaps are showing the bottom of the container... strange. I'm enjoying rotating what I have and getting through some of the supply...definitely not feeling 'restricted'.

With working at home, I'm finding getting up a bit earlier and having a nice relaxing shave is a great way to start the day and give some routine. Funny how a 20 minute shave can be so sublime and provide such joy.

Still in! I can never remember my number...

I'm enjoying what I have. I've used my exception, a beautiful Paladin brush that I'm getting the hang of.
Put your number {#38, Team 7} in your signature and you won't have to remember it. :wink2:
Got any pictures of the brush? Whilst I cannot purchase one till next year it is nice to see what may be possible.

SOTD (# 76/2020)
25-04-2020

20200425_141757-01.jpeg

Brush: WestCoastShaving Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26/56
Soap: TOBS ~ Platinum (SC)
Razor: Razorock SLOC
Blade: Astra blue Stainless Steel (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, FINE Platinum AS

JAHE - still in