What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

Another retirement and possibly a disqualification to come tomorrow. There is one missed 1st quarter check in, @Wtd1911 ; the race marshal's car is still out in search. With the race organiser's agreement, @Pepin , that will have to called a disqualification tomorrow. Latest position;
SPS2020-12apr.JPG
SPS2020-12apr-b.JPG

SOTD (# 67/2020)
12-04-2020

20200412_102833-01.jpeg

Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: Semogue 1460 (Boar)
Soap: Gentleman's Nod ~ VIncent (Sample)
Razor: Mühle R41 (2013)
Blade: Wilkonson Sword Germany (6)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Mühle Aloe Vera AS balm.

JAHE - still in

(Soap samples: minus 7;
After shave balm: minus 1)

I have to fess up. Before the Sabbatical started IB had a great sale running, and two coworkers and I went in and bought enough to share in free shipping. It was slightly before Xmas so most of what I bought went into my Xmas stocking or my son’s. However, I sat on a puck of RR Blue shave soap for a ‘rainy day’ pick me up.

Today was that day. I took a long, relaxing, and very hot shower. I pulled out my handmade lathering bowl made for me by my lovely departed sister in law. I whipped up a bowl of creamy lather, and frankly enjoyed a nice leisurely shave filled with contemplation and zen.

So, it wasn’t something I’ve purchased since the Sabbatical started, but something I instinctively knew I might need at some point during the journey. A welcome respite from at the time unknown burdens. I have another unused puck of the Green that is for another rainy day.

I wish you all a pleasant day, and best wishes for the rest of our Sabbatical. #shavezen
I've got a puck of the very same waiting for when I can't load anymore from my tub of Stirling.
That ring around the bottom is getting thinner, but it just keeps going.

I finished a bottle of Speick aftershave this morning. This is one of the items I restocked this year, so no worries there.

Otherwise I am just in a holding pattern, which seems appropriate for the times.

My cocktail of remnants of three Haslinger soaps is ever thinner and may be gone in a week or two.

As for blades, nothing has happened for a long time. January 25th I loaded a Bic Chrome Platinum in my Old Type and found that I liked that a lot. This was my first try of a Bic blade. Then for one blade in February I loaded another Bic into my prewar tech.

I shaved all February with that combination, then went back to the Old Type. Around the middle of March I decided to shave my head for the first (and maybe last) time ever, and moved the blade that was in the Tech to a post-war Tech.

I am still going strong with those two blades, eighty days later. Are these blades ever going to give up?

Last edited:
Dang, my team, team 10, is now tied for last place with three out. :crying:
Are you the last one still in Team ten?

Man, I can’t even remember what team I’m on anymore! I think on every tenth page they should post the teams and score being I’m not going to go back and try and find out what team I’m on at this point.

#
Name
Exception
Car

Team One
Pepin
Vintage razor
Citroën Traction Avant
pbrmhl
Stirling razor
Audi Type SS
CzechCzar
Stirling's new efficient razor
1933 Duesenberg II SJ Boattail Speedster
jim99
Stirling Christmas soap
1937 supercharged Cord
garyTha
No Exception
Austin 12
JAHE
No Exception
Audi 920 black drop-top

Team Two
JeffJ
No Exception
Lancia Dilambda
deafficianado
Wolfman razor
Bentley Speed Six
martym
No Exception
Renault GS
tsimmns
Tub WK Fern Concerto Menthol
1929 Alfa Romeo 6C
Ruva
No Exception
1936 Ford Model C Ten
Ruckin
No Exception
1937 ford pickup

Team Three
Sotiris_A
Shaving scuttle
Bugatti Type 57S
AZBronco
No Exception
1933 Derby (French car)
Invicta
No Exception
Jensen H type
VerbaVolant
one stainless razor
Bugatti 55 Roadster
Chandu
No Exception
Rolls-Royce Twenty
T.Orso
witch hazel
Triumph Gloria Vitesse

Team Four
ByDoms
No Exception
MG 14/28
Keen Edge
No Exception
Scuderia Ferrari Alfa 8C-35
Emwolf
No Exception
Opel Kapitan
AlphaFrank75
Red Tip Rocket refurbished
Mercedes-Benz SSK
RTM
No Exception
Bentley 8 Litre
02fhhtci
(1) tub of Murphy and McNeil Nantahala
Cadillac 355

Team Five
CJB3
grail razor
Studebaker President
GeromimoWSB
No Exception
Packard 8
JohnYaddy
OneBlade razor
Datsun type 11
Noodles
Wolfman razor
1937 Cord 812 Phaeton
JohnnieTime
witch hazel
Cadillac Series 60

Team Six
bobmsp
stainless steel razor
Dusenberg SJ Speedster
Brian C.
No Exception
1937 Ford Convertible
mikelz777
No Exception
Mercedes Benz 320A
Timeclo
One artisan brush
Mercedes Benz 500K
Atlantic59
One pack travel razors
Alfa Romeo 6C 2300B Mille Miglia
Carm10
No Exception
GAZ-M1

Team Seven
5Cantonas
Fatip slant
Chrysler Imperial
ShavingPanda
Brush
1937 Jaguar SS
Ryanshh
Bingle Buddy Gift Exchange
1936 Lincoln Zephyr
Drquantum
DR Harris Arlington soap
1932 Nash Ambassador Eight
olegunnar
Travel Cart(s)
Peugeot Type 183
Doc_S
strop replacement
Steyr 220 Gläser Roadster (1939)

Team Eight
Geneaut
Old Spice Shave Mug
Wolseley Hornet 6 ( 1930 )
AKH223
CNC Milled SLOC
Bugatti Type 35B Grand Prix (1925)
Chesty
No Exception
Hispano-Suiza H6
Earcutter
Mentholated aftershave
Fiat 518
Meanpr
Travel Razor
1935 DeSoto Airflow
Mr_Houston
No Exception
1931 Hillman Wizard

Team Nine
Azwetshaver
Straight razor
Mercedes-Benz 540K Special Roadster
It's Hedley
Grail Razor
Moon-Ruxton 1930 Model C
Silky Glide
No Exception
1933 Pierce Silver Arrow
MuhleShaver
No Exception
1938 VW Beetle
karhu
Semogue Mistura Brush
1928 Morris Minor
Thomas Darkblade
No Exception
1925 Mercedes W05 SSKL

Team Ten
kaidecologne
Pils 101 NE
39 Opel Kapitän Cabriolet
jamesearthdrum
No Exception
1930 KJ Henderson
Raven Koenes
Fatip Slant
1939 Fiat 1500 B
Neffarious
No Exception
Mercedes Benz 710-SSK
Wtd1911
Simpson Chubby 2 or 3 Manchurian
Adler 2 Liter
Heron
Shave soap
Datsun 17
Esetter
eplate one razor
Morris Oxford

Team Eleven
bjm
Timeless razor
1930 Cadillac V-12
Rvshave
No Exception
'29 Ruxton Roadster
_Stormin_
No Exception
32 Duesenberg Model SJ
147_Grain
No Exception
Alfa Romeo P3
Aziraphale
King Cobra SE
'36 Lincoln K-Series (Zephyr) V-12
KQY61

gcconspiracy
OC plate for Karve CB
Bugatti Royale

@Earcutter - Team Eight

Hi,

Thanks! I knew I was on Team 11 as I signed up late, but couldn't find the list for my number. 67. I will have to remember that 3 months from now. Yeah. Right. :p

I used 83 on most of my race cars. Partly because that was the first number my dad had, although he won his championships with 95. The main reason I had 83 was that I made the cut vinyl as the number 3. Two threes make an 8. This way, if I wasn't the first to arrive with 83 (it wasn't a commonly used number so that happened infrequently), then I could make 3s and 8s as needed to arrive at a new set of numbers with the least fuss. 83, 88, 38, 33. ;)

Stan

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks! I knew I was on Team 11 as I signed up late, but couldn't find the list for my number. 67. I will have to remember that 3 months from now. Yeah. Right. :p

I used 83 on most of my race cars. Partly because that was the first number my dad had, although he won his championships with 95. The main reason I had 83 was that I made the cut vinyl as the number 3. Two threes make an 8. This way, if I wasn't the first to arrive with 83 (it wasn't a commonly used number so that happened infrequently), then I could make 3s and 8s as needed to arrive at a new set of numbers with the least fuss. 83, 88, 38, 33. ;)

Stan

Wait, Stan, your dad won championships with 95? Is he, by any chance, this fellow?
1586907048388.png

FMB.jpg

This is on the beat racing reporter, Max Speed, reporting from the B&B 2020 Sabbatical. In the infamous words of Fire Marshall Bill Burns prior to the kick off of the sabbatical... "Racing in the 2020 B&B Sabbatical can be a lot of fun, but it can also be a fiery deathtrap on a highway to hell!".

It's Hedley, car #50, has crashed and burned in what Fire Marshall Bill Burns described as a "fiery deathtrap on this highway to hell!". We can only imagine the carnage inside the 1930 Moon Ruxton Model C as it tumbled over the Cliffs of Doom.

As one witness stated, "I have never seen such a fiery deathtrap on this highway to hell!".

Folks, there is only so much a man can take being locked up during a global pandemic. One can imagine when It's Hedley had the opportunity to get out of his COVID confinement, that getting behind the wheel of his 1930 Moon Ruxton Model C must have felt like the most wonderful place on earth. I am not certain what shave related item was weighing on the mind of It's Hedley as he rounded the first quarter mark of the calendar year 2020. You can be certain whatever it was, distracted him enough to cause this terrible scene here. Oh, the humanity!

Another witness swore that It's Hedley's last words were... "Team #9, please forgive me as I crash and burn in this fiery deathtrap on the highway to hell!". Such a selfless driver in the face of death. He may not have finished the race, but his memory will not soon be forgotten.

Word is that the salvage crew of It's Hedley's team will reveal in the coming weeks what could have possibly distracted him to his fiery death and sad exit from the 2020 B&B Sabbatical. Until then, I leave you from the scene of a destruction. This is on the beat racing reporter, Max Speed.

SOTD (# 68/2020)
15-04-2020

20200414_171033-01.jpeg

Brush: Omega Synthetic 46138 Hi Brush 24/57
Soap: Murphy and McNeil ~ Claddagh (Sample)
Blade: Wilkonson Sword Germany (26)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Mühle Aloe Vera AS balm.

JAHE - still in, enjoyed a relaxing bbs shave today with the trustworthy Wilki which accompanied me through the one blade in February 2020 challenge. Now it's time is over... Farewell!

(Soap samples: minus 8;
After shave balm: minus 2)

View attachment 1087261

This is on the beat racing reporter, Max Speed, reporting from the B&B 2020 Sabbatical. In the infamous words of Fire Marshall Bill Burns prior to the kick off of the sabbatical... "Racing in the 2020 B&B Sabbatical can be a lot of fun, but it can also be a fiery deathtrap on a highway to hell!".

It's Hedley, car #50, has crashed and burned in what Fire Marshall Bill Burns described as a "fiery deathtrap on this highway to hell!". We can only imagine the carnage inside the 1930 Moon Ruxton Model C as it tumbled over the Cliffs of Doom.

As one witness stated, "I have never seen such a fiery deathtrap on this highway to hell!".

Folks, there is only so much a man can take being locked up during a global pandemic. One can imagine when It's Hedley had the opportunity to get out of his COVID confinement, that getting behind the wheel of his 1930 Moon Ruxton Model C must have felt like the most wonderful place on earth. I am not certain what shave related item was weighing on the mind of It's Hedley as he rounded the first quarter mark of the calendar year 2020. You can be certain whatever it was, distracted him enough to cause this terrible scene here. Oh, the humanity!

Another witness swore that It's Hedley's last words were... "Team #9, please forgive me as I crash and burn in this fiery deathtrap on the highway to hell!". Such a selfless driver in the face of death. He may not have finished the race, but his memory will not soon be forgotten.

Word is that the salvage crew of It's Hedley's team will reveal in the coming weeks what could have possibly distracted him to his fiery death and sad exit from the 2020 B&B Sabbatical. Until then, I leave you from the scene of a destruction. This is on the beat racing reporter, Max Speed.

Well, this appears to be an epic crash. Great write-up, too. I am curios to read what made you stumble finally.

Well, another retirement from Team Nine; #50, "It's Headley" seems to have ended his race spectacularly. Let's hope all the remaining drivers have their eyes firmly on the road and are keeping those cars racing. Team Seven seem to be well focused on the race. The latest position;
SPS2020-16apr.JPG
SPS2020-16apr-b.JPG

SOTD (# 69/2020)
16-04-2020

20200416_183622-01.jpeg

Brush: Shavemac Synthetic 24/52
Soap: D. R. Harris ~ Windsor (Sample)
Blade: Gillette Nacet (6)
Postshave: frigid tap water, mentholated Majestät AS + Orange

JAHE - still in, one more soap sample has been finished.

(Soap samples: minus 9;
After shave balm: minus 2)

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Are you the last one still in Team ten?

Man, I can’t even remember what team I’m on anymore! I think on every tenth page they should post the teams and score being I’m not going to go back and try and find out what team I’m on at this point.
No, I think there are still four of us on our team.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Raven Koenes, Car 57, 1939 Fiat 1500 B (still in)

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto
Blade: Gillette Platinum (10)
Brush: Omega S10065
Soap: Proraso Red
Aftershave: Reuzel
030_35.jpg

Top Bottom