What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

upload_2019-6-13_4-34-3.png

Started March 1st with a puck of SV Felce Aromatic 4.0 and finished it off today. Tomorrow I'll start with another SV puck, Asylum Shave Works Colonia, which should take me through the summer. It also looks like I will not need to make use of my exception, A/S balm, since one tube of AV 5 in 1 balm has lasted me almost six months and I have two or three more tubes waiting in the wings.

Also, if it's not too early, this is my second quarter check-in.

I’m very surprised you finished off a puck of SV in around 105 days!

I’ve already knocked off a tip of Proraso green this year and now have a halo in my VDH puck. I’m not sure what I’ll pull out of the den next, but I’m putting a dent in my soap inventory. Yea!

I did some den cleaning yesterday. I gave a new can of Gillette Foamy to a neighbor. I tossed a little bit of Barbasol, and I tossed a jar of Cremo lathering shaving cream. The Cremo doesn't make a great lather, and the scent is more chemical than sawdust. Next week, I'll give my Manion M5 razor (Futur clone) to a friend. I'll also trade a puck of Arco for a puck of Williams.
When done, I'll be down to one razor, two blades (Astra SP and Gillette WS), one soap and one brush. I also have some Mennon Skin Bracer I'll use once in a while. When it's gone, I won't replace it. This should be enough to make it through 2020.

#80 still in but after seeing that very nice CG razor @ShavingPanda went out on I’ll admit I have been doing a little window shopping. Luckily they are hard to obtain and pricey but this is how it starts.....

Half way though...must..stay..strong!

Edit: Probably doesn't shave very well anyway... :001_rolle

Last edited:
#80 still in but after seeing that very nice CG razor @ShavingPanda went out on I’ll admit I have been doing a little window shopping. Luckily they are hard to obtain and pricey but this is how it starts.....

Half way though...must..stay..strong!

Edit: Probably doesn't shave very well anyway... :001_rolle

It's a great shaver. But honestly... it can't do anything my other razors couldn't do!

Hi,

Stay Strong! Quit Looking! Say to yourself: I have the best shaving stuff ever! Anything else stinks! ;)

Stan - Still In

Hi,

Stay Strong! Quit Looking! Say to yourself: I have the best shaving stuff ever! Anything else stinks! ;)

Stan - Still In

Talking about things that stink, I need to get rid of my last soap that isn't WMS. I've only used it four times. I'm thinking about tossing the puck in the fountain at the University.

I'd be willing to PIF it to the first person who can guess which soap it is. I'll pay postage.

Based on your academically based hint my guess is that it is a puck of Erudite. Just like the descriptions in the university course catalogs make almost any subject seem interesting yet the class never lives up to the hype, this soap is the same. The box it comes in is probably the best part and the soap itself is quite a disappointment both in terms of latherability and the smell.

Speaking of smell... Not sure why but it smells of musty chalk dust. Rumors are that the soap actually contains chalk dust but the maker vehemently denies this. Last time I used this soap it served as a vivid reminder of my stint as a poverty stricken graduate student. The chalky smell annoyed my sinuses and I think that I would probably have better lather using plain water.

I confess I was only able to use the puck I had a couple times before tossing it into a nearby fountain. Ironically it didn't make any bubbles or foam... it just kind of sat there like a urinal cake.

So is Erudite your unloved puck of soap?

Ruckin

Based on your academically based hint my guess is that it is a puck of Erudite. Just like the descriptions in the university course catalogs make almost any subject seem interesting yet the class never lives up to the hype, this soap is the same. The box it comes in is probably the best part and the soap itself is quite a disappointment both in terms of latherability and the smell.

Speaking of smell... Not sure why but it smells of musty chalk dust. Rumors are that the soap actually contains chalk dust but the maker vehemently denies this. Last time I used this soap it served as a vivid reminder of my stint as a poverty stricken graduate student. The chalky smell annoyed my sinuses and I think that I would probably have better lather using plain water.

I confess I was only able to use the puck I had a couple times before tossing it into a nearby fountain. Ironically it didn't make any bubbles or foam... it just kind of sat there like a urinal cake.

So is Erudite your unloved puck of soap?

Ruckin

Good guess. If I was really going to toss it into a fountain, it would be this one. It's in Belgium, not Turkey.

Good guess. If I was really going to toss it into a fountain, it would be this one. It's in Belgium, not Turkey.

Not sure what it is about Belgium...
proxy.php

Even their beers have pictogram instructions. Actually, if you like sour beer this one is quite good
:whistling:
Ruckin

Top Bottom