What's new

2019 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Maltese Falcon Razor

Ok, so if I were going to make some (what I think is exceptional) home made soap as I do for myself could I randomly post in this thread "A tub of free soap up for grabs, who wants it" and that's ok? You guys would be able to say "Pick me" or I'll take it" and that's good and not breaking any rules, as I don't want to screw anyone up. Nobody in this thread asked me to do this I just thought about it after reading someone left because they actually ran out of soap. I'd have sent something to that guy to keep him in and it would have been a lot better than a jar of Proraso.

I'd handle postage of course as I consider this a PIF to those of you that are suffering away here in this world of boredom. I also have some other soaps that I'll never use from various makers as well that are taking up some space. Stuff that most would absolutely love to have but that I'm way to picky to enjoy.

No selling, no trading, just a random up for grabs kindness to possibly help someone make it to the end.

Would this be allowed?

I’d imagine it would be. The gent above had plenty of offers of soaps from several people on here but chose not to accept them.

Thanks, I didn't read too far back in the thread. Regardless I'd still like to do a bit of housekeeping and make some space as I have way, way too much stuff that I'll never use.

Do the rules allow you guys to win PIF's and things like that?
There are many who have offered consumables to help make it through the year but in the latest case the offers were turned down.
Basically, if no cost is involved the sabbatical prevails, as I understand the rules. Helping someone out has always been acceptable e.g. a PIF.

still in, revisiting Colonel Conk soaps. When I first started lathering I had problems with their soap. For some reason, it's no longer an issue and they lather exceedingly well and provide a very slick shave for me. Their bay rum scent, though mild, is exactly what I want out of bay rum, not too clovey. Followed it with an Avon Bay Rum splash and St. John's Bay Rum cologne.

I too have went back to Col. Conk and some of my other glycerin soaps. I have already finished off a puck of Gentleman Jon’s and I’m working my way through my last 2 picks of Conk, the almond and lime. I fell they are extremely underrated as well. I may very well use glycerin soaps exclusively in a few years after I finish all the soaps I have. I have even looked at the glycerin melt and pour bases. $16 or less shipped for 2 years worth of soap isn’t a bad deal at all.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Sometimes, it's important to accept gifts from others, so they can experience the good feeling that comes from giving. I'd be willing to accept Williams Mug Soap from people who have too much. The reason I'd only accept WMS is back in March, I started a Cal Ripken Soap Challenge. That's 2,632 days in a row with WMS. This is the number of baseball games Cal Ripken played in a row. I figure I can complete the challenge with a total of 13 pucks. Maybe as few as nine. I already have 3 1/2.

The further into this thing I'm getting, the more committed I am. (Maybe being committed isn't such a good thing.) Just in case WMS is discontinued or reformulated, I may buy the rest of the pucks during the resupply at the beginning of 2020.

upload_2019-6-11_17-43-13.png

Sometimes, it's important to accept gifts from others, so they can experience the good feeling that comes from giving. I'd be willing to accept Williams Mug Soap from people who have too much. The reason I'd only accept WMS is back in March, I started a Cal Ripken Soap Challenge. That's 2,632 days in a row with WMS. This is the number of baseball games Cal Ripken played in a row. I figure I can complete the challenge with a total of 13 pucks. Maybe as few as nine. I already have 3 1/2.

The further into this thing I'm getting, the more committed I am. (Maybe being committed isn't such a good thing.) Just in case WMS is discontinued or reformulated, I may buy the rest of the pucks during the resupply at the beginning of 2020.
View attachment 989743

That is some hardcore dedication. My hat is off to you sir.

I applaud your dedication Garytha. I am in the process of working my way through a brick of Vitos. I thought it was a kg when I bought it but it is only one liter in volume and 800+ grams in weight. :001_cool: I am a light loader but I suspect I will manage to finish the brick off prior to 2632 shaves... unless I start loading extra light. My synthetic brushes are large and soap hogs but if I migrate back to the lower end of my Simpson fifty series (55, 56....) I will probably become a bit more thrifty in my soap usage and not waste so much down the drain.

Seven point two years dedicated to a single soap is noteworthy. :a8:

That is some hardcore dedication. My hat is off to you sir.

There are still some steps to take. I have four containers of soaps that are not Williams. I need to give those away. I'll trade my extra razor for a couple of pucks of Williams. I can do that with a friend. The hardest part will be not participating in threads associated with addictions without leaving B&B. Equally hard will be to accept other paths without judgment. I'll remain active in this thread.

It makes more sense to plan for these things so you have a good chance of completing the sabbatical. If you use a consumable regularly then you know how much to stock to complete the challenge.

Hi,

And if you don't use a consumable regularly then you spend money you don't need to at the beginning. ;)

There is no difference in spending money in the beginning and in the middle other than the timing.

Well, maybe I will run the sabbatical next year and revamp a few rules...

Stan - Still In

Hi,

And if you don't use a consumable regularly then you spend money you don't need to at the beginning. ;)

There is no difference in spending money in the beginning and in the middle other than the timing.

Well, maybe I will run the sabbatical next year and revamp a few rules...

Stan - Still In

I suggest using an Oregon Trail theme for next year. This could place emphasis on everyone working together so the whole wagon train succeeds. Tenderfeet would be encouraged to buy more than what they need at the beginning. For instance, I had a supply of three different soaps that would last a year and an extra 100 blades. I was able to trade 100 blades for soap after I discovered my main pick for soap irritated my face with daily use.

There is only one rule change needed. Make it clear that the recipient of a PIF pays postage. Rather than calling it a PIF, call it a sale limited to Sabbatical participants and list it on BS&T. The cost would be the postage regardless of the value of the product. Think of it as an evening flea market along the Oregon Trail. People could bring the things they don't need to the campfire each night and sell to people who need it. Buyer pays postage would prevent the system from being abused too much. It also keeps the buyer from feeling as if they are receiving charity.

Those with a large inventory could downsize without paying considerable postage costs.

I suggest using an Oregon Trail theme for next year. This could place emphasis on everyone working together so the whole wagon train succeeds. Tenderfeet would be encouraged to buy more than what they need at the beginning. For instance, I had a supply of three different soaps that would last a year and an extra 100 blades. I was able to trade 100 blades for soap after I discovered my main pick for soap irritated my face with daily use.

There is only one rule change needed. Make it clear that the recipient of a PIF pays postage. Rather than calling it a PIF, call it a sale limited to Sabbatical participants and list it on BS&T. The cost would be the postage regardless of the value of the product. Think of it as an evening flea market along the Oregon Trail. People could bring the things they don't need to the campfire each night and sell to people who need it. Buyer pays postage would prevent the system from being abused too much. It also keeps the buyer from feeling as if they are receiving charity.

Those with a large inventory could downsize without paying considerable postage costs.
better buy pemmican, and remember oxen are better than horses.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

I really like this

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I like the theme... I need to make sure that if I pick up a set of new boots or some cast iron I wont be out. :001_cool:
Ruckin

.ps - still in for this year.

Started March 1st with a puck of SV Felce Aromatic 4.0 and finished it off today. Tomorrow I'll start with another SV puck, Asylum Shave Works Colonia, which should take me through the summer. It also looks like I will not need to make use of my exception, A/S balm, since one tube of AV 5 in 1 balm has lasted me almost six months and I have two or three more tubes waiting in the wings.

Also, if it's not too early, this is my second quarter check-in.

Top Bottom