What's new

2015 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Christmas (GRU - Christmas)

I will in no way shape or form be able to go that far in. I'm talking Preppy or Metropolitan and a couple blue ink samples. I don't write all that much, but in high school I loved pens and that's when I bought the cheapie FP that I have now. I'd just get ink for it, but I prefer a much finer line than I get with it, so I'm looking at a couple others to play with.

I have 3 Metros (1 F and 2 M) and they are fantastic pens. I prefer the M nib, as its Japanese and still fairly fine. If you're really looking for a fine line, you should be fine with a Pilot F. Below is a M Metro I used for my Christmas cards and you can see it's still fairly thin.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449611384.108583.jpg

That looks a bit wide for my tastes but it's hard to tell with no point off reference.

I have a Uni-ball Vision in micro (0.5mm) and like it but wouldn't mind a finer line.

Just today I picked up two G-2 pens, 0.5 and 0.38 line width is good but I don't like the way the ink is globby sometimes. The Pilot V5 RT writes nicely though, much like the Uni.

Like I said, I shouldn't be buying a FP but might anyway. :)

That looks a bit wide for my tastes but it's hard to tell with no point off reference.

I have a Uni-ball Vision in micro (0.5mm) and like it but wouldn't mind a finer line.

Just today I picked up two G-2 pens, 0.5 and 0.38 line width is good but I don't like the way the ink is globby sometimes. The Pilot V5 RT writes nicely though, much like the Uni.

Like I said, I shouldn't be buying a FP but might anyway. :)

A quick Google search has a ton of direct comparisons between the F and M as the Metropolitan initially didn't offer a F. Goulet also has a wonderful video on this topic that I watched before purchasing. That should give you some nice reference point. At $15 this pen is hard to beat as an intro FP as it even includes a converter.

If you couldn't tell, I really do love these pens! :w00t:

That's some handsome cursive penmanship, sir.

Thank you, sir! Honestly I've been meaning to practice more, as I hadn't used cursive at all since grammar school. If you ever wander over to the Nib area, you'd be blown away at some of the gentlemen over there's penmanship. It's incredible!

#10 still in. No current temptations except the recent talk about fountain pens makes me want to start using mine again...hopefully it doesn't kick start another AD.

I will in no way shape or form be able to go that far in. I'm talking Preppy or Metropolitan and a couple blue ink samples. I don't write all that much, but in high school I loved pens and that's when I bought the cheapie FP that I have now. I'd just get ink for it, but I prefer a much finer line than I get with it, so I'm looking at a couple others to play with.

In reality I should be fine with the couple rollerball pens that I like but it's that inherent AD that always plagues me kicking in. My desire to tinker and learn.

It's so cute when they're in denial ... LOL ...

#4 still in.

SOTD
Razor: Gillette Old type
Blade: Lord Platinum
Brush: B&B essential boar
Soap: GFT Violet
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

#10 benzology still in... strangely no temptations after nearly 9 months restraint.

Some of my soap tins are starting to finally look well used and likewise for aftershaves... but I reckon I still have enough software in reserve for about 3 more years of restraint!

This has been such a fantastic way to get to know my shaving equipment more intimately.

SOTD yesterday

Rhodium replated Gillette new long comb

English Wilkinson sword blade with about 15 shaves on it and still perfectly sharp and smooth

Simpson commodore

Razorock xxx soap

Fine fresh vetiver

Have a great week gentlemen! (it's Monday morning here in Bangkok)

No. 18 - Still in

SOTD

Strop: Kanoyama № 3 - 40/60 Pre (Suede/Leather) 80 Jim Lyon's Cloth
Time Since Last Hone: 0 Shaves
Hones: Chosera: 1K, Shoubudani Honzan, Botan/Meijiro Nagura, Tomo Nagura
Prep: Shower, scrub beard with Cetaphil, rinse, repeat, hydrate well
Brush: Muhle Silvertip
Software: Palmolive Cream
Razor: Gold Dollar 66
Growth (days): 2
Method: Two Passes - WTG, XTG

Results: CCS+ / No irritation / No redness / No cuts / No Weepers

#4 still in.

SOTD
Razor: Gillette Old type
Blade: Lord Platinum
Brush: Omega 49 boar
Soap: GFT Violet
Aftershave: Dr. Harris Arlington
Cologne: Penhaligon's Sartorial

Still out .... :)

Wrapping up my son's birthday gift with a couple of items from Maggards ... had to add something to reach the free shipping threshold, so I have a bottle of Fine L'orange Noir coming for myself :)

Hi,

Just puttering along over here. I won't even get to looking for anything until Jan 1st (am also in the yearly, so that is when my restock week starts).

Stan - Still In

Top Bottom