What's new

2015 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Christmas (GRU - Christmas)

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
#14 still in, no real temptations. It is amazing how difficult it was as first to turn off ADs, and how easy it is now. I find myself posting less because there is less new stuff to talk about.

I will say that I stumbled across a box of gear that I had long forgotten about, filled with goodies such as T&H 1805, MWF, MdC, AOS sensitive, and more. I had been looking for all this stuff and concluded that I sold it all. I now have to try it all again to see if it’s worth keeping… oh the humanity!

Can't remember what number I am, but still in and going strong. I was even in a secondhand store admiring a few DEs yesterday and found it very easy to put them down and stroll away.
Think I've decided to reward myself with Tabac at the end of this restraint.

TPL

#14 still in, no real temptations. It is amazing how difficult it was as first to turn off ADs, and how easy it is now. I find myself posting less because there is less new stuff to talk about.

I will say that I stumbled across a box of gear that I had long forgotten about, filled with goodies such as T&H 1805, MWF, MdC, AOS sensitive, and more. I had been looking for all this stuff and concluded that I sold it all. I now have to try it all again to see if it’s worth keeping… oh the humanity!

Hi,

I recently did the same. Not a box of shaving stuff. A box of not.shaving stuff with one 10 pack of Schick Platinum blades still sealed onto the display card. Still, a really pleasant surprise. Even more so being all restrained. :)

Stan

Still in - I tried a Rocket HD razor today as part of a Contributor-only passaround, and it was a great shave!

I'm so busy with Christmas stuff and looking forward to my Reindeer & Sleigh surprise that I don't think I'll even hunt down any trades this month.

Still in. I've been admiring a few too many soaps and very particular razor online recently, finding myself thinking "I'll just get this as a reward before the 2016 restraint. And this. And this. And this. Ooh, and that!". I realised that if I followed through, although I would have successfully restrained for three months, that good work would have been undone in one simple shopping spree where I'd up spending the same or even more than I would have done over these last three months. Does anyone else find this happening?

As such, think I'll plough straight through into the 2016 restraint without any purchases. Then I can REALLY reward myself with the razor I've long had my eye on, which has been much too much out of my budget, if I complete next year successfully.

TPL

This is me all over. I managed to overcome the ATT temptation, and now I don't really want anything anymore. After the 23rd I plan to buy...nothing at all.

#4 still in.

SOTD
Razor: Gillette Old type
Blade: Lord Platinum
Soap: GFT Violet
Brush: Omega 49 boar
Aftershave: TOBS Victorian Lime

Still in. I've been admiring a few too many soaps and very particular razor online recently, finding myself thinking "I'll just get this as a reward before the 2016 restraint. And this. And this. And this. Ooh, and that!". I realised that if I followed through, although I would have successfully restrained for three months, that good work would have been undone in one simple shopping spree where I'd up spending the same or even more than I would have done over these last three months. Does anyone else find this happening?

As such, think I'll plough straight through into the 2016 restraint without any purchases. Then I can REALLY reward myself with the razor I've long had my eye on, which has been much too much out of my budget, if I complete next year successfully.

TPL

Yep. You'll often see guys treewhale after completing a restraint and while fun, kind of defeats the purpose if you're really trying to pare down your den.

I'll be going straight from this year's sabbatical into next year's without any purchases too.

#10 still in. I haven't shaved today, but yesterday I tried a Frankenrazor combination of the top plate of my Maggard v1 Open Comb razor (which is extremely mild) paired with the bottom plate of my Fatip Grande. Wow, what a nice smooth shave. I'm going to have to try this for the next few days.

No current temptations, but after 12/24 I might do a bit of stock up to get me through the 2016 yearly restraint.

I tried the Fatip Grande / Maggard Open Comb v1 frankenrazor again this morning and once again was greeted with a smooth, mild, yet efficient shave. I might keep this combo for the foreseeable future.

# 17 still in.

Posted a picture of my executed exception in the December score thread.

A few vintage injector blades that I'm excited to take for a spin after I finish a some control shaves this week.

We're in the home stretch gentlemen. Anyone ask for something exciting for Christmas this year? (shaving or not)

GRU-Christmas 23/31 Still In (74%)

1. S.D. Ryan - no exceptions.
2. Kevdogg329 - Ogallila bay rum as
3. KQY61 - ATT Slant
4. Pepin - OC Aristocrat
5. Krakatoa - Proraso Green shaving soap
6. kansaskyle - Bathroom shelving/display
7. Martym - No Exceptions
8. Bladeslinger1989 - Mitchell's wool fat soap
9. Lfs70 - Wiborg brush - OUT
10. MuhleShaver - Rapira Stainless blades 100ct
11. DrColossus11 - OUT on horn handle
12. Benzology - no exceptions
13. Aristeros - no exceptions
14. CzechCzar - iKon Shavecraft 102
15. Cosmos Mariner - No Exception
16. CBLindsay - No Exception
17. redrider_99 - injector blades
18. Stubbletrouble - No exceptions - Somebody help me please!
19. jjking54 - OUT on Hallows AS
20. Bocefus - OUT on TREEWHALE

21. Snookledon - no exceptions
22. vanhooglesnort - no exceptions
23. Sprzout - Gillette adjustable razor (if I can find it in the antique stores in NM at the beginning of Oct)
24. Haggises - OUT on a styptic pencil
25. Rory1262 - no exceptions
26. mr_eleven - no exceptions
27. Kooze- OUT on brush and Floid Blue
28. Deezle - OUT on a short handle Merkur Progress
29. Jarick - OUT on Plissoft

30. Jude - no exceptions
31. 19TPL91 - no exceptions

proxy.php

...maybe something to dip my toe further into "The Nib" pool.

I took that dive earlier this year as a result of being in the yearly restraint. I haven't gone quite off the deep end, but have purchased 3 pens, a couple inks, and a couple notebooks. A combined spend of less than $250 (a bulk of that was my Pelikan M200 Cafe Creme at $130) and I'm pretty much set for the immediate future. I'm refusing to let it become an AD like my soaps / creams / AS got to!

Long story short, if you do a lot of writing, or even if you don't, it's a great sub-fora here. I never thought I'd be the kind of guy to journal, but I've taken a liking to doing it on occasion.

I added a Wish List to my Wiki that I update throughout out the year when I see something that I think I really want. I've taken multiple items off the list when I've been able to trade for them and/or when I read more extensive reviews that lead me to believe the items aren't all that great.

I took that dive earlier this year as a result of being in the yearly restraint. I haven't gone quite off the deep end, but have purchased 3 pens, a couple inks, and a couple notebooks. A combined spend of less than $250 (a bulk of that was my Pelikan M200 Cafe Creme at $130) and I'm pretty much set for the immediate future. I'm refusing to let it become an AD like my soaps / creams / AS got to!

Long story short, if you do a lot of writing, or even if you don't, it's a great sub-fora here. I never thought I'd be the kind of guy to journal, but I've taken a liking to doing it on occasion.
I will in no way shape or form be able to go that far in. I'm talking Preppy or Metropolitan and a couple blue ink samples. I don't write all that much, but in high school I loved pens and that's when I bought the cheapie FP that I have now. I'd just get ink for it, but I prefer a much finer line than I get with it, so I'm looking at a couple others to play with.

In reality I should be fine with the couple rollerball pens that I like but it's that inherent AD that always plagues me kicking in. My desire to tinker and learn.

Top Bottom