What's new

2011 R41 - The Quest Achieved!

this is very useful... thanks!

which feels more aggressive (ie which bites more)?
On the 11 setting the Variant has about as much blade feel as the Roedter 1909 - it's very bitey and makes the R41 feel mild by comparison.
Though as we've seen the actual shave isn't any more efficient.

Of course the Variant is not intended to be set on 11.
On 5+ it is very satisfyingly aggressive and beautifully smooth.

It really does have a lot in common with the Gillette Big Fellows - big handle, excellent grip, serious heft, superb balance and can be adjusted up to serious fierceness.

I'm really raving about the Parker Variant to be honest - there's something about it which puts it in the same league as the 1920's Gillettes and Eclipse Red Ring.
It's like a modern vintage razor!

I hate this thread and these comparisons. They keep costing me money. Now that @mjclark compared the Parker to the Big Fellow, I need to buy a Parker too. Grrrr ;-)
LOL!!! Enablement. It is not a disease, it's a part of MANLINESS. Besides, you don't need that $$$ in your pocket anyway!!! It's a great razor. I know, I have both versions..... :001_cool:

proxy.php

LOL!!! Enablement. It is not a disease, it's a part of MANLINESS.
I have over 100 vintage razors - that makes me the manliest guy I know ;-) My daughter thinks I have a disease, but she has a shoe obsession, so I guess the "collector disease" gene can be inherited.

LOL!!! Enablement. It is not a disease, it's a part of MANLINESS. Besides, you don't need that $$$ in your pocket anyway!!! It's a great razor. I know, I have both versions..... :001_cool:

Picture of Moe, Larry, Curly and the newest addition Shemp.

Cheers
John
IMG_0238.JPG

Ahhhhh the sweet suffering...........
IMG_0156.JPG

LOL!!! Pinhead is the MAN!
Nice set of Quadruplets there amigo. Timeless w/Pineapple handle the 4th one? Scalloped head and base plate...... Aaaaaahh :001_tt1: :o16:

Yes Pinhead rocks! He has quite the razor collection.
Shemp is a Timeless OC, .95 gap with pineapple handle. Simply awesome.

I need to drag out the Spitfire cap for my 2013 to put this thread back on the tracks. Maybe with a Wardonia base?

Cheers
John

Yes Pinhead rocks! He has quite the razor collection.
Shemp is a Timeless OC, .95 gap with pineapple handle. Simply awesome.

I need to drag out the Spitfire cap for my 2013 to put this thread back on the tracks. Maybe with a Wardonia base?

Cheers
John
Sweet! Timeless is next, but a little further down the road. It looks exquisite.
That Spitfire cap for your '13 R41 mated to a Wardonia base would be some serious whisker detachment, of the highest order truthfully. Never tried it, but that would be something fierce! I like.....

Regards,
Gus

That Spitfire cap for your '13 R41 mated to a Wardonia base would be some serious whisker detachment, of the highest order truthfully. Never tried it, but that would be something fierce! I like.....
One of my hands down favorite DE razors is my Wardonia with an Old Type cap (thick cap version). Fierce in a pussycat sort of way. Lots of blade chatter because the cutting edge is completely unsupported from the bottom, but oh so smooth and close. Recommended!

I have one Wardonia base that I machined to fit standard caps. I could also use one of the French Wardonia bases.
I use an Gillette old type cap.
Thinking about trying the Spitfire. Could be scary!

Cheers
John

:thumbup1: That looks great John! I bet it gives a really smooth (not to mention close:laugh:) shave.
NICE! That looks really intimidating, but I don't think it's any worse that a Devette. Ride the cap a little more, that should be a sweet shave. Pinhead would be proud amigo!!

IMG_0054.GIF

So how do you get the pins on the caps to fit the Wardonia baseplate holes?
I use epoxy to fill in the old holes, then use an Old Type baseplate as a template to drill new holes. Use a 10-32 bolt to tighten the Wardonia and Old Type baseplates together so they don't move. Easy peasy.

proxy.php

Top Bottom