What's new

2011 R41 - The Quest Achieved!

I'm not Marcus but I have done a side-by-side with a 2011 R41 and a Barbasol Floating Head. I used a stainless Maggard MR1 on my R41 - closest handle I had to the Barbasol.

The Barbasol was much smoother. Not that I find the R41 harsh at all, I just find my Barbasol super smooth.

The R41 whooped it in closeness of shave. I never chase BBS because it sometimes gives me ingrowns. The Barbasol gets me to exactly where I want to be after 3 passes. With the R41, I have to be careful to not overshoot and get too close.

I hear exactly what you're saying. I have a floating head, which is much smoother but not as close (by about a kilometer, if not a mile) as the 2011 R41. The beauty and classic form factor of the Barbasol is hard to beat, however, and will outlive the R41 for generations.

And now here's the RazoRock Mentor aka Maggard V3A aka Blubeards Revenge Cutlass up against the 2011 R41:
IMG_7202.JPG

The Mentor/V3A/Cutlass has some minor issues with blade alignment so that one side of the head seemed a bit more aggressive than the other side, in contrast to the ice cold tolerances of the Muhle.

And the Mentor has a smaller range of effective angles than the 2011 so the Muhle is more manouverable and gives an easier shave around the jawline.

In it's favour, the Mentor is a beautifully smooth shaver and comparatively forgiving and it delivers a shave at the FaTip level of closeness.
And of course, the 2011 is a rare treasure whereas the Mentor can be had anytime for <£20.

For the first 8 hours the shaves between the Mentor and the 2011 were comparable but after that the 2011 was clearly out in front .

If you like aggressive yet comfortable razors though then it's definitely worth giving the Mentor a whirl!
IMG_7128.JPG

:laugh: I see the Silver Stars are starting to creep in everywhere. Great blades at a bargain price.
How do you find them Marcus?

:laugh: I see the Silver Stars are starting to creep in everywhere. Great blades at a bargain price.
How do you find them Marcus?
Only one shave in and I'm liking the feel of the Silver Stars a lot Cal.
Sharp, smooth and they feel like quality (which is a bit surprising!) and the packaging is very attractive too
I'd put them alongside Supermax Platinum.

So here's the 2011 up agains the Wardonia 1929 now:
IMG_7222.JPG

The Wardonias are another triumph of inspired design.
The later models have weirdly spaced pins which won't accept Gillette blades but the 1929 model will take the standard blades.

The Wardonia design puts a lot of curve on the blade and braces it with a "flexing boss" which is a raised area on the upper side of the baseplate.
This holds the blade very rigid a bit like the torqued slants and the baseplate also has oblique grooves designed to bend the hairs so that they are sliced.
This is is like a slant in reverse. Rather than angle the blade as a slant does, the Wardonia angles the hairs as they present to the cutting edge. Genius!

And there's a massive massive blade gap but not much blade exposure so it's efficient but not "bitey".

The only modern razor I know that feels like a Wardonia is the Rocnel SE50.

There's a good discussion thread on the Wardonias here:
Wardonia Revelation
IMG_7223.JPG
IMG_7224.JPG

The Wardonia 1929 is very smooth and manouverable, very very efficient and gives an irritation free result every time.
It can't quite match the 2011 R41 for closeness but it's a great shaving experience and like the R41 it has a big range of effective angles.
Agrwat rar for sure!
IMG_7221.JPG

So here we go then...
...Thanks to @pbrmhl I have the Barbasol Floating Head up against the 2011 R41 at last!!!!
IMG_7261.JPG

Of course just like everybody told me already, it was a no contest - the 2011 R41 is noticeably more aggressive and has a bigger range of effective angles.

But the Barbasol Floating Head is an amazing razor.
It actually shaves very like the Wardonias and also Rocnel SE50:
Huge blade gap but very smooth, no tendency to bite and absolutely zero irritation.

With practice I can understand how the Barbasol FH could be the daily shaver.
And it's got such great weight and grip that it really is something special!
IMG_7239.JPG

Wouldn't it be great if there was a heavier 2011 R41 head made out of brass or steel?

And also thanks to @pbrmhl here's the PAA DOC Evo up against the 2011 R41:
IMG_7271.JPG

For sure the DOC Evo is a beautiful Stainless Steel thing and much more substantial than the 2011.
The DOC Evo is also a very powerful shaver indeed and to me it feels very similar to the Roedter 1909.
Ha ha - what a contrast! The Roedter is a $30 accident in Zamak whereas the DOC Evo is a $175 stainless steel work of art but the shaves are almost identical to me.
Masses of blade feel, smooth and fierce and definitely even more efficient than the 2011 R41(!)

But the geometry of the Evo is much cruder than the 2011.
The Evo (again like the Roedter) has a tendency to bite, as the various YouTube reviews demonstrate.
I cut myself on the cheek with the DOC Evo, something which also happened with the Roedter 1909 but which has never happened with the 2011 R41, Shavecraft Tech, Cobra Classic or Asylum Rx.

And the shave from the DOC Evo results in a completely irritation free BBS which feels like sandstone compared to the waxy face feel of the 2011.

Comparing the two razors really shows the intelligent and thoughtful geometry of the 2011 R41 against the more powerful but cruder shave of the DOC Evo.
IMG_7272.JPG

Marcus, everyone is different, but I found the bite of the PAA DOC to disappear after three or four shaves. For me, I found moving from a Feather to an Astra SP to be very helpful. I agree with all of your thoughts, though I haven't yet tried the Roedter. As I'm beginning finally to hone in on my favorites after a long journey, and I'm afraid of Zamak, I may not. My R41s are the only Zamaks I use, and though I'll never part with them, I likely will stick with brass, steel and aluminum.

I'm glad you're enjoying your PAA! I find the four-point blade alignment system very effective, and the fierce look of the double-open comb alignment very attractive. As @davidsilva says, it's very "goth." The visibility of the blade through the top cap, compared to the R41 or other razors, is like comparing a bikini-clad woman to one wearing a full bathing suit...

@pbrmhl - ahhh, a summertime man after my own heart! We share swimsuit fashion sense!
@mjclark - Marcus, thanks for a fine report on the EVO - as Scott mentioned she's not as bite-y after she gets to know you.

Marcus, everyone is different, but I found the bite of the PAA DOC to disappear after three or four shaves. For me, I found moving from a Feather to an Astra SP to be very helpful. I agree with all of your thoughts, though I haven't yet tried the Roedter. As I'm beginning finally to hone in on my favorites after a long journey, and I'm afraid of Zamak, I may not. My R41s are the only Zamaks I use, and though I'll never part with them, I likely will stick with brass, steel and aluminum.
It will be very interesting to try various blades out in the DOC Evo.

And since the Roedter is a FaTip with issues perhaps I was wrong and they are brass (terrible QC though!)

One big thing which shines out is how beautifully made the DOC Evo is.
When does the patent on the 2011 R41 run out? Imagine the day when there's a Stainless Steel version :a50:

And so 2011 R41 to Futur on 6:
IMG_7350.JPG

The Futur is a beautiful thing and on 6 it's quite punchy.
There's actually more blade feel and sensation of flex with the Futur yet somehow it's less bitey than the 2011 but also less efficient and less manouverable.
It sure is a good looking and well designed razor though and as a daily shaver it's excellent - not quite 2011 but definitely FaTip+ with zero irritation.

YMMV but for me the Vision 2000 fully opened up is more aggressive than the Futur too.

Ha ha - the Futur is now!
IMG_7349.JPG

View attachment 783202
There's actually more blade feel and sensation of flex with the Futur yet somehow it's less bitey than the 2011 but also less efficient and less manouverable.
It sure is a good looking and well designed razor though and as a daily shaver it's excellent - not quite 2011 but definitely FaTip+ with zero irritation.

YMMV but for me the Vision 2000 fully opened up is more aggressive than the Futur too.

View attachment 783201

These have been just excellent reads sir! I have enjoyed every single one of the comparisons and just a pleasure to read on your thoughts and experiences with each individual razor comparing it to a true classic, the venerable 2011 Muhle R41! Great stuff....:thumbup:

View attachment 783202

View attachment 783201

Another great side-by-side review, Marcus! I've been intrigued by the Futur for a long time, but couldn't really figure it out. Your review, given how I now seem to "know" your taste, is very informative. Shave on!

So just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water here's the 2011 R41 up against the Parker Variant on 11(!)
IMG_7664.JPG

Be assured the Parker Variant is an astonishingly good razor and if you ask me it's the spiritual successor to the Gillette Big Fellow.
And you can go round the 1-5+ adjustment dial twice dialling it up to 11 where it feels like the Roedter 1909.

It's noticeably smoother than the 2011 R41,but with the head extended on the 11 setting the Variant is a little bit clunky and less manouverable.

And after shaving with the Variant like this it gives a hard rubber feel BBS in contrast to the waxy BBS feel of the R41.

Actually the end result was very similar in terms of how prickly the stubble was and how calm the skin was.
Beautiful shaves from both razors and 18hrs on there's very little in it.
Perhaps the shave from the 2011 R41 is marginally closer but they're still almost equal.

So the Variant on 11 is a good match for the 2011 R41.

The R41 is definitely more manouverable but the feel of the Parker Variant in the hand is unbeatable!

So just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water here's the 2011 R41 up against the Parker Variant on 11(!)
View attachment 789251
Be assured the Parker Variant is an astonishingly good razor and if you ask me it's the spiritual successor to the Gillette Big Fellow.
And you can go round the 1-5+ adjustment dial twice dialling it up to 11 where it feels like the Roedter 1909.

It's noticeably smoother than the 2011 R41,but with the head extended on the 11 setting the Variant is a little bit clunky and less manouverable.

And after shaving with the Variant like this it gives a hard rubber feel BBS in contrast to the waxy BBS feel of the R41.

Actually the end result was very similar in terms of how prickly the stubble was and how calm the skin was.
Perhaps the shave from the 2011 R41 is marginally closer but they're still almost equal.

The R41 is definitely more manouverable but the feel of the Parker Variant in the hand is unbeatable!
Love these comparisons! Well done Sir. Well done indeed.... :thumbsup:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
View attachment 789251

this is very useful... thanks!

which feels more aggressive (ie which bites more)?

Top Bottom