What's new

2011 R41 Replacement Head Options?

I haven't posted on B&B for years but I was using my daily driver (2011 R41) razor today and realized it's just a matter of time before the threaded post breaks off in the handle just like the first 2011 R41 I owned.

I eventually replaced the head on my first 20111 with the 2013 version that's readily available AFTER trying 2 of the plastic 3D printed versions available on ShapeWays.

In addition to the plastic head being less aesthetically pleasing, I found my shaves to be troublesome with too much bloodshed. I think it's a factor of the plastic head "flexing" and creating a dynamic blade exposure. Both of the plastic heads I bought ended up with their threaded poles breaking just like the original head, anyway. Just far quicker. I was hoping that one of the hobbyists that produced the plastic versions would progress to metal but Google searches come up empty.

Anyway, I hoping someone might know of the feasibility of having a metal (chrome over brass preferably) fabricated using my existing 2011 head as a 'template' or perhaps to make a mold for a new head to be cast.

Can this be done and what type of company could perform such an exercise?

I keep my 2013 model in my travel kit, and I like it but my 2011 was my daily driver for years so even though the 2013 is generally considered aggressive, it's milder than I'm accustomed to.

In theory the guys producing the plastic heads should move to moulded metal. Shapeways has the capability. Perhaps the 3D printing is not working out in metal. Have you tried the other to various they are producing. One of the others- I think it was the Hurricane shaves better in my view.

You also could try an Ikon Tech. It's not exactly the same as the 2011, but it does provide an alternative aggressive razor with flexibility and character.

You could try 3D scanning the top cap and try printing one yourself through shapeways. I haven't had much luck with 3D scanners myself though.

I’ve got two 2011 R41s, one of which has a top cap stem that’s looking a bit iffy. I have two because I knew the Zamak would ultimately give out (soon, apparently), and didn’t want to be without one. (I also have two R41s in the 2013 version, but they’re not the same, and I never use them anymore.) I would definitely buy another 2011 version in stainless, brass, copper, aluminum or most anything else that isn’t plastic or Zamak.

"I’ve got two 2011 R41s, one of which has a top cap stem that’s looking a bit iffy. I have two because I knew the Zamak would ultimately give out (soon, apparently), and didn’t want to be without one. (I also have two R41s in the 2013 version, but they’re not the same, and I never use them anymore.) I would definitely buy another 2011 version in stainless, brass, copper, aluminum or most anything else that isn’t plastic or Zamak."

Since you abandoned the 2013 R41, are you exclusively using the 2011 or did you find a worthy alternative that falls somewhere between the 2013 and the 2011?

I have ZERO personal experience with 3D printing or scanning. I DID purchase a small brass (I think) drill bit from ShapeWays that was purpose-built to make an electric hand-drill power a manual coffee grinder, so I presume it's feasible to make a metal razor cap.

I'll try to engage some of the individuals on ShapeWays and find out how much of a challenge, and expense, would be involved with a 2011 R41 Head.

"I’ve got two 2011 R41s, one of which has a top cap stem that’s looking a bit iffy. I have two because I knew the Zamak would ultimately give out (soon, apparently), and didn’t want to be without one. (I also have two R41s in the 2013 version, but they’re not the same, and I never use them anymore.) I would definitely buy another 2011 version in stainless, brass, copper, aluminum or most anything else that isn’t plastic or Zamak."

Since you abandoned the 2013 R41, are you exclusively using the 2011 or did you find a worthy alternative that falls somewhere between the 2013 and the 2011?

I have ZERO personal experience with 3D printing or scanning. I DID purchase a small brass (I think) drill bit from ShapeWays that was purpose-built to make an electric hand-drill power a manual coffee grinder, so I presume it's feasible to make a metal razor cap.

I'll try to engage some of the individuals on ShapeWays and find out how much of a challenge, and expense, would be involved with a 2011 R41 Head.

I use my 2011 R41 quite a bit, but have found others that are just as efficient, e.g., Ikon Shavecraft Tech, PAA DOC Evo in stainless, Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb, Blackbird open comb, etc., that I use just as much.

Keep us posted with your discoveries!

Top Bottom