What's new

Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Aftershave Lotion

Item Description

proxy.php

I don't have a really high opinion of this stuff. I bought it eager to try a pedigreed splash (rather than the balms I usually favor) expecting it to be wet and to smell strongly of sandalwood. I was wrong on both counts. First time I aplied it, I dabbed out a little in my palm, rubbed my hands together, then paused for 1.5 seconds to look over my shoulder. Lo and behold, when I slapped hand to face, boh were bone dry. Nothing there!

I've tried mixing with water in my palm, that works slightly better, but then I'm left with the realization that I don't really like this stuff. It's a cliched type of smell, and reminds me of something I'd find at CVS. i'm trying to convince myself that I just need to revise my expectations of "traditional" conservative products, but a little voice inside tells me this stuff just isn't especially good.

REVISION

You know, after living with this product for a while (I kept wanting to use it because it was there), the scent has really grown on me. Especially if layered underneath AoS sandalwood AFB, it provides a nice lingering if slightly powdery sandalwood. Also, after an initial burn, I find it somewhat moisturizing, such that I was comfortable one day using it without any balm or moisturizer. So, while this stuff didn't live up to my expectations (as reflected in the original review) now that I have no expectations of it, it's actually not that bad. I wouldn't use it after a rough shave though, I don't think it goes on evenly enough or has enough body to really soothe razor burn. I'm waiting on a shipment of Santa Maria Novella lavender AS; I'm curious to see how that rates versus this.

Latest reviews

I really like this aftershave, I use it after I shave with the excellent taylors sandelwood soap and to me it smells exactly the same, maybe a little sweeter when applied but after a minute it settles to a great scent. Lasts most of the day as well. Didn't find it overly moisturizing but if you're used to alcohol splashes I dont think you'll find it burns any more than most splashes. I didn't find it hard to apply as some reviews did but I do slap on a fair ammount :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
In truth I don't notice a major difference in effectiveness between the cheapest Master's A/S and the more expensive TOBS, but I do love the scent of this Sandalwood A/S. I use it for special occasions, not daily. It goes well with the cologne of the same name.

:thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
A very good product and considerably cheaper than the offerings from Trumpers or D.R Harris so 7. Comes in a heavy glass bottle of decent quality if a little plain 8 . Does the job of fighting razor burn remarkably well giving it a solid 9. TOBS is not menthloated and therefore doesn't cool terribly well thus it gets a 5 from me. Scent is great and smells natural warranting a 9. The product is not moisturizing but doesn't dry me either so it gets a 4. Not the gentlest aftershave in the world but pretty tame so 7.

Grant
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn