What's new

Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Aftershave Lotion

I really like this aftershave, I use it after I shave with the excellent taylors sandelwood soap and to me it smells exactly the same, maybe a little sweeter when applied but after a minute it settles to a great scent. Lasts most of the day as well. Didn't find it overly moisturizing but if you're used to alcohol splashes I dont think you'll find it burns any more than most splashes. I didn't find it hard to apply as some reviews did but I do slap on a fair ammount :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
In truth I don't notice a major difference in effectiveness between the cheapest Master's A/S and the more expensive TOBS, but I do love the scent of this Sandalwood A/S. I use it for special occasions, not daily. It goes well with the cologne of the same name.

:thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
A very good product and considerably cheaper than the offerings from Trumpers or D.R Harris so 7. Comes in a heavy glass bottle of decent quality if a little plain 8 . Does the job of fighting razor burn remarkably well giving it a solid 9. TOBS is not menthloated and therefore doesn't cool terribly well thus it gets a 5 from me. Scent is great and smells natural warranting a 9. The product is not moisturizing but doesn't dry me either so it gets a 4. Not the gentlest aftershave in the world but pretty tame so 7.

Grant
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I have been reading the reviews and agree with most on the quality of the end result for "after shaving" effects. But the smell is not my wife's fondest until we were at a pumpkin patch with my kids and she caught a "wiff" of it blended with my old spice and asked if that was the same aftershave. I think it's a seasonal smell for me and didn't work well with 110 degree weather in Arizona so that's why she liked Mr. Taylor's more. Can't wait to use it for Thanksgiving!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I was very dissapointed with this product. I love the smell of the TOBS shaving cream and thought that the aftershave would be the perfect complement. Wow, was I wrong. When I opened the bottle, it smelt exactly like the shaving cream. However, once I applied it to my skin (after using a considerable amount) it started to turn. As others have pointed out, it may be my mind, but is seemed to evaporate extremely fast. The scent became very heavy at first the started to lighten. Then the scent became too sweet, almost perfume-like, feminine perfume. I had the product on for all of 30 minutes and that was enough for it to mix with my body chemistry into something I definitely did not like.

Contrary to what some others have stated, it had a considerable amount of staying power. I put it on at 7:30 am and could still smell it by 1:30 pm.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I used this AS during some time at home, as Sandalwood is my dad's signature scent and I decided to expropriate some of his stock. I found the scent to be this product's greatest feature. Thought not a connoisseur of sandalwood, I found this TOBS to have an incredibly deep and rich sandalwood scent, mixed with notes of leather, which lasted for quite a long time. Also, there was minimal alcohol burn which I appreciate. I would definitely consider purchasing this if I end up getting into the sandalwood scene.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I bought a bottle of this stuff unsampled, via mail order, hoping that it would smell like Taylor's sandalwood shaving soap, which I find very nice. Unfortunately, I find that it starts out too strong, and finishes too sweet. While it does seem to pass through "quite nice" somewhere inbetween, I cannot see myself using this very much.

With limited use so far, I can not comment in the aftershavical properties.
This aftershave while effective should only be used after a shave with very little irritation. Any nicks, cuts, or skin irritation will be punished brutally by this product and might be better suited for a gel or balm. This is a $30 bottle of aftershave for 100ml encased in a glass bottle with a metal screw top. There is a very noticeable cooling sensation (and burning) as it is obvious this product's alcohol percentage is higher than average. The scent is text-book sandalwood and while the product itself evaporates quickly, the scent remains for an hour at least but is not formidable. Do not look to this product for moisturizing properties as they are slight. I find this product works best after smooth shave and on summer days. If moisturization and razor burn relief are top priorities, I would strongly suggest the Taylor of Old Bond Street Aftershave Gel which succeeds admirable in those departments.
This is some good aftershave, I've been using it occasionally for a couple of months now. Goes on with quite a warm alcohol tingle tending toward burn, which I enjoy a lot, and does a great job of toning the skin. Fights razor burn? I rarely get it anymore, but this is an alcohol splash, so of course it will.
The scent is unusual, quite powdery and sweet, and a little floral. There's a hint of moss in the background, and the woody notes are limited to a hint of sandalwood- this is not an extremely woody scented aftershave, so if it's pure sandalwood you're after, look elsewhere. However, the herbal scent of this one grew on me, I enjoy it a lot now. The scent also lasts very well.
The moisturising qualities are limited- If I applied a lot of it it would do the job, but the smell would then be too strong for me. I added a little glycerin, and now it works just fine.
All in all, well recommended, and the smell matches the TOBS sandalwood shave stick pretty much perfectly, so if you like the stick, perhaps its worth trying out the aftershave.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Like the other reviewers' comments, I am still trying to figure out the scent of TOBS Sandalwood. I have other sandalwood products whose scents I prefer a little more:
  • Trumpers Sandalwood soap
  • D.R. Harris Sandalwood Afrershave (Scotto sample :thumbup1:)
  • Floris Sandalwood EDT
  • Salter's Sandalwood shaving cream
The TOBS Sandalwood has other stuff in it that makes it a little too,,, searching for the words, traditional? and complicated?, for me. I bought it on a whim before trying a sample - just to fill up an order from Classic shaving to even out the shipping.

I love alcohol based splashes and this product delivers in that regards. The scent lasts longer than other splashes I've used (YMMV), including the Harris Sandalwood. If you like a complicated, traditional scent in an aftershave that will last for a few hours after application then this stuff fits the bill.

I'm glad I tried this. I'm glad I have a bottle that I'll use a lot in the summer when the after shave balsms migrate to the back of the closet. I do believe however that I'll replace it with the D.R. Harris Sandalwood when this runs out.
Some notes on my ratings:
Cooling: I rated low here as it doens't cool like the menthol-based products do.
No alcohol burn: Rated low here. It's alcohol based and burns (if you have nicks or razor burn) - that's the point.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I normally use balms as I abhor alcohol sting.. but I figured I give this one a try..

Priced about $26.. forgot where I got it..

Doh.. it stung. Rather a quick bite, once the feeling subsided, I could feel the slight moisturizing oils left. Not overpowering oily but just right.

I love the smell, its just oozes manliness. But I guess that's the sandalwood talking. This lotion lasts all day for me, the smell, the feel..

Being a lotion newbie, I really dont have much to compare to, as my usual lotion was the Nivea Sensitive Balm. Time to try more!!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I found it takes a few days to get the effect of this aftershave, you put it on for the first time and it's ok, nothing special. As with other reviewers you keep going back to it , just to make sure with another sniff! it grows on you. A true gentleman's aroma in the best sense of the word, very amicable with SWMBO also, and the price £13/$25 for 100ml can't be bad.I have now been using it for the best part of 5 years and it is a firm favourite, staying power, a couple of hours but I keep a small atomiser of the matching cologne in my pocket and that keeps me going all day.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
proxy.php

I don't have a really high opinion of this stuff. I bought it eager to try a pedigreed splash (rather than the balms I usually favor) expecting it to be wet and to smell strongly of sandalwood. I was wrong on both counts. First time I aplied it, I dabbed out a little in my palm, rubbed my hands together, then paused for 1.5 seconds to look over my shoulder. Lo and behold, when I slapped hand to face, boh were bone dry. Nothing there!

I've tried mixing with water in my palm, that works slightly better, but then I'm left with the realization that I don't really like this stuff. It's a cliched type of smell, and reminds me of something I'd find at CVS. i'm trying to convince myself that I just need to revise my expectations of "traditional" conservative products, but a little voice inside tells me this stuff just isn't especially good.

REVISION

You know, after living with this product for a while (I kept wanting to use it because it was there), the scent has really grown on me. Especially if layered underneath AoS sandalwood AFB, it provides a nice lingering if slightly powdery sandalwood. Also, after an initial burn, I find it somewhat moisturizing, such that I was comfortable one day using it without any balm or moisturizer. So, while this stuff didn't live up to my expectations (as reflected in the original review) now that I have no expectations of it, it's actually not that bad. I wouldn't use it after a rough shave though, I don't think it goes on evenly enough or has enough body to really soothe razor burn. I'm waiting on a shipment of Santa Maria Novella lavender AS; I'm curious to see how that rates versus this.
Top Bottom