What's new

Men-U Pure Bristle Shaving Brush

Item Description

This is a great brush, which can be had for about £10-£12 from various places, including Boots. This is the pure bristle version, but beware, they also make synthetic brushes. It is probably boars bristle, not Badger bristle, but its still quite comfortable. Forget the cheap Wilkinson brushes that you can get in Tesco, they are too hard. These are still comfortable, and are great if you just want to give wet shaving a go, but don't want to spend large amounts of money. It comes with a small tube of shaving cream, which smells quite nice, and works well. I could get about 7 shaves out of it, but barely. Still good for such a small tube I think.

The handle feels great, and the brush can hold a lot of lather. Obviously it depends on the product you use (I could never get the Wilkinson Shaving Soap workin well, but Tabac shaving soap was exellent), but generally, the brush can generate a lot if prepared well. It also comes with a nice little plastic stand, which will also hold other brushes quite well, which is a bonus, as a lot of the posh badger hair brushes don't seem to come with stands.

The only downside I have found with this brush tends to loose a bristle once in a while, but that is also noted on the packaging. To start with, this brush is great, and when you feel like you enjoy wet shaving enough, you can always upgrade to a badger hair brush, and if you no longer use the brush, you can use the stand with your new badger brush.

Latest reviews

this was my first brush, and I feel I lucked out in the boar department. I have found I prefer badger, but the overall performance of this brush has me really reaching for it lately.

Tips worked in after about 20 lathers, although it was plenty pleasant up to then. now, however, it has that wonderful stiffness and softness on face balance I was wanting out of it.

Overall, I believe this one will stay in the rotation for a long time to come. Does a terrific job on soaps, and for a boar does surprisingly well with creams as well. The lather never fails to impress--not as good as my silvertip, but good for $20.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
This is a boar brush so if you like your badger then you probably won't like this. I prefer boar when I'm using soaps you can get just as good a lather from soap with badger but I find it takes longer and more effort, personally I think boar is so much easier and loads up with soap almost instantly. One common misunderstanding seems to be complaining that boar brushes are prickly, this is because they are INITIALLY. After a bit of use the ends split and soften and the prickliness goes away if you haven't given your boar brush a chance to wear in (and that's at least two weeks) then don't complain about how prickly it is - you've missed the point. Boar is also much stiffer than badger so you need a firmer hand for lathering.

I've had this brush a long time now (couple of years), I don't use it much though as I tend to use my Omega 48 just because it's newer and it's at the front of the shelf. Actually there's very little to chose between them - the Men-U has a slightly shorter knot but not enough to make any impact. Knot thickness and density are almost identical as is the stiffness of the bristles.

Price - depends on how you look at it, compared to even a cheap badger it's a bargain at less than £10, on the other hand compared to other boar brushes it's merely competitive.

Handle is not high quality, quite a cheesy plastic thing, it does the job just fine but there's no tactile pleasure in it. Unfortunately this is very much the same as the Omega.

This brush needs a good soaking before use, even more so than a badger brush but if used properly will produce beautiful lather enough for 3 or 4 passes quickly and easily.

Tends to shed more than my Omega and probably loses a bristle every three or four shaves - I guess that means eventually it'll thin out and stop working so well but given the thickness of the knot it'll be many years before that's a problem.

If you want to try a boar brush this is comparable quality to the best available.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
I thought this brush was good value and indeed a lot better than some i bought at twice the price and i shaved with this for about 2 years and still have it, for the price great!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)