What's new

Gillette Ranger Tech (1941)

Item Description

The Ranger Tech (without endcaps and datecode) was only made for one year, and as such is fairly rare. However, it is worth owning one just for that name "Ranger Tech". How cool does that sound?

Anyway, on to the razor itself:

Price: These can be quite pricey depending on where you get them. I got mine from a forum member for a pretty good price (I think $35). Don't go for the $80 eBay ones, unless you are collecting its just too much.

Quality: This razor is over 60 years old, and still works as good as new. Quality is certainly evident here, and I wouldn't be surprised if it will outlive me by another 60 years.

User Friendly: Nothing really complicated about this razor, not gimmicks or tricks. Turn the knob at the bottom, drop in a blade, close it again, and off you go.

Grip: Grip is very good. The handle provides great grip even with lather/water on your fingers.

Ease of Blade Replacement: As easy as it gets, open the doors, drop in a blade, close it again. Even a monkey could do it.

Aggressiveness: This is of course one of those YMMV areas, but I don't find it overly aggressive. Its just right for me. I rated it as N/A as it is not aggressive, and to preserve a high rating.

Adjustability: Irrelevant here as it is a fixed head, so I marked "N/A" for that rating.

Balance: Pretty good, the head is the heavy part, but thats ok. I do wish the handle could be a bit heavier, but that's just a minor thing, and nothing major.

Many always say that these shave like a 40s Superspeed, but I don't think so. I own a 40s Superspeed, and I find that razor much milder than this one. It shaves close, but not quite that close. The Ranger Tech on the other hand, will shave very close, and comfortably so.

Definately one of my alltime favorites.

(I took the picture from the ShaveWiki).

Latest reviews

Pros: Silky smooth shave
Cons: Good ones can be hard to find
I love my '41 Ranger Tech. It gives a much better shave (for me) compared to a regular Super Speed. this is because of the different non-notched blade tray design. Yes, they can be hard to find and on the expensive side when you do find them. Mine was reasonable for a good user grade, non-cased version.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: History
The age and history itself is worth owning this razor. I purchased this on the B&B classified section. I normally use a new Merkur razor which seems easy compared to the Ranger but does not have the age value. It is extremely well made and if I were better at shaving it would be my favorite shaver and not just my favorite to look at.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: close shave, little irration
Cons: can be pricey
I consistently get a smooth close shave (3 pass) with little irritation. I would highly recommend buying one if you can afford it (they can be quite pricey on ebay).
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)