What's new

Feather "Kanwa" Liquid Balm

Item Description

This is my everyday, go to aftershave balm. The only online retailer that seems to carry it is classicshaving.com. What's in it? No true idea as I don't read Japanese. Here is the description from Classic Shaving:

...quickly relieves the tightness and soothes the irritation often associated with shaving. It moisturizes, conditions, and heals the skin, restoring natural skin tone and suppleness. Particularly recommended for those with sensitive skin or an oversensitivity to the fragrance oils used in most aftershaves.

The clear, non-greasy, fragrance-free, Natural Herbal Formulation contains Allantoin, Rose Oil, Witch Hazel, and Peppermint Extract for a naturally pleasant, light non-lingering herbal scent....
That about sums it up.

This balm comes in a high-quality refillable plastic pump bottle. One pump dispenses about a dime size dollop which is just the right amount for my face. If you have used the Nancy Boy Cooling Aftershave Balm, this balm is a lot like that balm minus the nasty (IMO) alcohol sting and only having a light peppermint note instead of the NB trifecta. The consistency is juuust right - not too runny and definitely not too thick like a cream. This is a lightly moisturizing balm and not at all heavy. It absorbs into my skin in just a few minutes, and the smell does not linger at all so there is no cologne interference. I estimate the 250 g bottle will last me at least 9 months to a year with daily use. To boot, Classic Shaving sells a refill for this balm so you save cash and do not have to repurchase the pump. Good deal.

Latest reviews

Pros: Virtually unscented, absorbs quickly, calms the skin, doesn't upset sensitive skin
Cons: None really, I guess I wish the packaging was translated to English?
I have sensitive skin, and so far I've used Art of Shaving Unscented, the Jack Black, Kiehls, and Twinlab Aloe Spray NA-PCA (awesome, cheap stuff...only about $8/bottle).
I have to say, this product for me is perfect. It does exactly what it is supposed to do. I'm new to safety razors and have been doing pretty good so far to not irritate my skin, but sometimes my neck is a little irritated after a shave. I tried this stuff 3 times now and it calms the skin perfectly. The scent is of a light, natural herbal that goes away and does not conflict with anything. It absorbs quickly in the skin and is not oily at all (if you're looking for a heavy moisturizing one, I'd say go with AOS, or others that are more moisturizing). For me, this is just the right amount. If you have sensitive skin and are looking for something that works and is fairly inexpensive compared to other high quality AS, this is it!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Price: 19.99 not bad

Quality: I enjoy the simplicity of the pump

Fight Razor Burn: It does calm it down alot so that it can heal when shave hasnt been on par.

Colling Sensation: I like the pepermint sensation.

Scent: Light and doesnt linger

Efficacy: It does its job as an aftershae well by tightining and toning.

Moisturing: So so kinda dres completley after it goes on.

No alcohol burn: Nope none at all does it contain alcohol?
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Really good stuff. Very light and leaves no sticky residue. An excellent choice for the warmer months. This stuff has been a permanent part of my shave routine for about a year now. I think $20 for a 250gr pump bottle is a really good deal considering the high quality of this product. (For $9 one can buy a trial sized bottle at ClassicShaving.com.)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)