What's new

Feather "Kanwa" Liquid Balm

Pros: Virtually unscented, absorbs quickly, calms the skin, doesn't upset sensitive skin
Cons: None really, I guess I wish the packaging was translated to English?
I have sensitive skin, and so far I've used Art of Shaving Unscented, the Jack Black, Kiehls, and Twinlab Aloe Spray NA-PCA (awesome, cheap stuff...only about $8/bottle).
I have to say, this product for me is perfect. It does exactly what it is supposed to do. I'm new to safety razors and have been doing pretty good so far to not irritate my skin, but sometimes my neck is a little irritated after a shave. I tried this stuff 3 times now and it calms the skin perfectly. The scent is of a light, natural herbal that goes away and does not conflict with anything. It absorbs quickly in the skin and is not oily at all (if you're looking for a heavy moisturizing one, I'd say go with AOS, or others that are more moisturizing). For me, this is just the right amount. If you have sensitive skin and are looking for something that works and is fairly inexpensive compared to other high quality AS, this is it!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Price: 19.99 not bad

Quality: I enjoy the simplicity of the pump

Fight Razor Burn: It does calm it down alot so that it can heal when shave hasnt been on par.

Colling Sensation: I like the pepermint sensation.

Scent: Light and doesnt linger

Efficacy: It does its job as an aftershae well by tightining and toning.

Moisturing: So so kinda dres completley after it goes on.

No alcohol burn: Nope none at all does it contain alcohol?
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Really good stuff. Very light and leaves no sticky residue. An excellent choice for the warmer months. This stuff has been a permanent part of my shave routine for about a year now. I think $20 for a 250gr pump bottle is a really good deal considering the high quality of this product. (For $9 one can buy a trial sized bottle at ClassicShaving.com.)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This is my go to ASB! It's soothing without hardly any scent and is absorbed completely within minutes. I just bought the refill pack and it should last me a year with daily use. I've tried several different brands and this ones my keeper.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Very nice- low oil factor and seems to moisturizer just right for me- I have a tendency to have oilier skin and this seems to neutralize that- I use no-alcohol witch hazel prior to using this and follow this up with face cream- seems to tighten just enough- stops any weepers and best of all there is no noticeable scent that offsets any aftershave that I am using. Does not seem to clog pores and leaves my face clean.

I use only a small almond size amount and this covers the area that I have shaved comfortably-
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I had the kind grace to have received a sample of this aftershave from Dennis (thanks again, bud) and have immediately enjoyed it from the first sampling.

Like Dennis mentions, the Kanwa scent is not as imposing as the Nancy Boy (NB) aftershave gel. While I do love the scent of the NB, the alcohol contained in it does burn if you've given yourself too close of a shave (read "razor burn.")

The Kanwa is a runny, gel-like, milk-colored consistency. I consider it very lightly scented and the scent once applied, seemed to dissipate rather quickly. A little amount does a good job of covering the whole face.

I have found that I can use both Trumper's Skin Food and the Kanwa shortly therafter and still end up smelling mostly the lingering fragrance of the Trumper's Skin Food longer than the Kanwa. I would suppose that after 30 minutes, I can't smell either one of them. This is great news if you don't like your aftershaves interfereing with your colognes.

The amount that you get for the price is a bargain. I also like the T&H aftershave balm, but I'm having a hard time paying 27 dollars for such a small tube. At least with the Kanwa purchase, I can expect to have it last a long time.

One thing to keep in mind, that with a little bit of essential oils added to a Kanwa sample, you can reproduce the stronger NB rosehip and peppermint scent without the sting of the alcohol and method components.

I highly recommend this product and thank Dennis publicly again for introducing me to it.

-joedy
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Thanks for starting a review on this great product.

I too use Feather as my daily aftershave. It has practically no scent, and, as indicated, the dispenser is very nice and convenient.

A word of caution: If you tend to have dry skin and need a moisturizer product, Feather is probably not for you. Nancy Boy can sometimes leave my face feeling a little oily, but the Feather leaves it about perfect... even a tick on the dry side which works for me since I tend to have oily skin.

-Aaron
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This is my everyday, go to aftershave balm. The only online retailer that seems to carry it is classicshaving.com. What's in it? No true idea as I don't read Japanese. Here is the description from Classic Shaving:

...quickly relieves the tightness and soothes the irritation often associated with shaving. It moisturizes, conditions, and heals the skin, restoring natural skin tone and suppleness. Particularly recommended for those with sensitive skin or an oversensitivity to the fragrance oils used in most aftershaves.

The clear, non-greasy, fragrance-free, Natural Herbal Formulation contains Allantoin, Rose Oil, Witch Hazel, and Peppermint Extract for a naturally pleasant, light non-lingering herbal scent....
That about sums it up.

This balm comes in a high-quality refillable plastic pump bottle. One pump dispenses about a dime size dollop which is just the right amount for my face. If you have used the Nancy Boy Cooling Aftershave Balm, this balm is a lot like that balm minus the nasty (IMO) alcohol sting and only having a light peppermint note instead of the NB trifecta. The consistency is juuust right - not too runny and definitely not too thick like a cream. This is a lightly moisturizing balm and not at all heavy. It absorbs into my skin in just a few minutes, and the smell does not linger at all so there is no cologne interference. I estimate the 250 g bottle will last me at least 9 months to a year with daily use. To boot, Classic Shaving sells a refill for this balm so you save cash and do not have to repurchase the pump. Good deal.
Top Bottom