What's new

41C Open Comb

Item Description

The German-engineered Merkur 1904 includes the same head design as Merkur Classics, but pays homage to the original 1904 Gillette safety razor in its handsome, diamond patterned handle, which is six sided for an extra-sure grip. Made to cut against tough, heavy beards, the open tooth variety is recommended for experienced wet shavers.

Latest reviews

Pros: Fit and finish is good
Cons: Poor shaving results
All the safety razors I own and use are open comb/open tooth. They are Gillette 1930's 3 piece, Gillette 1930's TTO, Fatip Grande, and a Stirling with fat,wide SS handle. I get excellent shaves from all these safety razors. My favorite blades are Lord Chrome, Shark Chrome and Gillette Silver Blue.

I recently purchased a Merkur 1904/1906 Open Tooth Safety Razor (41C Open Comb) to add to my other open comb razors and was badly disappointed with the shave. Tried the Merkur blade enclosed with the razor, Shark Chrome and a Gillette Silver Blue.

Been wet shaving for 50 plus years and this is the first open comb not suited for me. At least for me, the blade position in the head gave me a poor quality shave. This is a warning to old dogs like me and to new wet shavers that not all razors are created equal. The angle of the blade is very important to getting a good shave.

Point is, try to demo a razor before you buy, if at all possible. The supplier won't accept this in return because I shaved with it one time. I've been a steady customer for years and probably will not buy again because of this policy on razor use.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
1.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Great open comb and The open comb gives it a good blade exposure and the handle is really nice.
Cons: It's not too aggressive if you like a very aggressive razor and the handles grip it's not very great but it's OK. .
I bought this razor from Amazon and it came Saturday and I used it Sunday night and this razor is excellent and I highly recommend it.
Grip
1.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice finish, very mild OC razor
Cons: Light
I used this razor almost a year before I sold it.
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)