What's new

41C Open Comb

Pros: Fit and finish is good
Cons: Poor shaving results
All the safety razors I own and use are open comb/open tooth. They are Gillette 1930's 3 piece, Gillette 1930's TTO, Fatip Grande, and a Stirling with fat,wide SS handle. I get excellent shaves from all these safety razors. My favorite blades are Lord Chrome, Shark Chrome and Gillette Silver Blue.

I recently purchased a Merkur 1904/1906 Open Tooth Safety Razor (41C Open Comb) to add to my other open comb razors and was badly disappointed with the shave. Tried the Merkur blade enclosed with the razor, Shark Chrome and a Gillette Silver Blue.

Been wet shaving for 50 plus years and this is the first open comb not suited for me. At least for me, the blade position in the head gave me a poor quality shave. This is a warning to old dogs like me and to new wet shavers that not all razors are created equal. The angle of the blade is very important to getting a good shave.

Point is, try to demo a razor before you buy, if at all possible. The supplier won't accept this in return because I shaved with it one time. I've been a steady customer for years and probably will not buy again because of this policy on razor use.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
1.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Great open comb and The open comb gives it a good blade exposure and the handle is really nice.
Cons: It's not too aggressive if you like a very aggressive razor and the handles grip it's not very great but it's OK. .
I bought this razor from Amazon and it came Saturday and I used it Sunday night and this razor is excellent and I highly recommend it.
Grip
1.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice finish, very mild OC razor
Cons: Light
I used this razor almost a year before I sold it.
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Quality craftsmanship, great looks, good balance
Cons: maybe too mild for an OC, handle not as grippy
This was my first OC. Surprisingly it wasn't any more aggressive than my Tech head. Has about the same amount of blade exposure. Blade gap is almost non-existent. Still got DFS from it with my normal 3 pass on the dome. It's a good, mild razor. But my Maggard Razors MR3 is more aggressive than this OC.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Visually attractive, affordable,quality of material
Cons: bad blade gap
I love this razor visually it is reminicent of my great grandfathers razor as well as a old time look and feel. What I don't like about this razor is the shave itself. If you are to look at the blade against the combs the blade sits directly on top of the combs itself and is not adjustable without the head wanting to swivel. can you get a decent shave yes most definitly but I cannot seem to get a BBS shave with this razor no matter what blade I put in there. I would reccomend this razor as it is mild and great to look at and it will easily serve as a travel razor or back up and will remain in my collection but unless I have 4 days plus growth which is very rare it will not be in my rotation.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Perfect
Cons: None
I have a Mergress and it is beautiful. It is pricey but I would happily pay it again and am seriously considering selling off my other razors and buying a back up. Buy this razor, play with it and make it your dream. It won't dissapoint. It is hefty and well made with Mer's modifications. I can't recommend it enough.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Close but not too aggressive, Very nice looking
Cons: A bit light, grip not as good as HD
This is an excellent value. It is some what aggressive and provides a close shave, but is still some what forgiving at the same time. It's light, but also maneuverable. I would even say a noob could use this razor but would have to be careful. This could be your first and only razor (except we always seem to buy several razors whether we need them or not!).
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Excellent shave, cool retro look.
Cons: None.
I bought this razor because I wanted to try an open comb. Excellent shave!! I am selling my EL D89 even though I love that razor. The 1904 has a vintage look and gives a great shave. It is also good for a newer shaver to get the angle down because if you have the wrong angle, the razor will leave track marks or will smudge the cream.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: fantastic price with solid reliable construction
Cons: not as aggressive as portrayed.
I have been using this razor for a couple of weeks solid with every other aspect of my routine staying constant. I am used to using my 38c and wanted a more aggressive razor for those days when you really want to take your time and reward yourself. It was a toss up between the 1904 open comb and a slant. I had read reviews and personal pro's and con's for both and grabbed this example over the slant for a price point of view. I have to say i thought it would be much more aggressive than my 38c but its not. It is a cheap and solid razor that i would have no hesitation taking on holiday because its easily replaced if lost or damaged. Would i replace it ...i would say yes because at $24.00 delivered its exceptional value and really does give a nice smooth shave. I have tried my regular shark ss blades , the original merkur blade and an astra. I will load a feather this week and give her a go with that.:001_smile
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)