What's new

1930 NEW style open comb

Item Description

The Gillette "NEW" came on the market in 1930. It continued the drop-shoulder profile of the out in the middle Gillette "NEW" Improved from 1921, but with a straight bar that required blades with a slot cut in them and for a while, only Gillette had those blades.
The "NEW" can be found with two different handles, one a hollow handle and one a solid handle (of smaller diameter)with a ball at the end.

Latest reviews

Pros: nice weight
Cons: short handle
A nice razor, not too aggressive for an open comb. I don't like the short handled Gillettes very much and this was the same length as a tech. They are always weighted nicely and have a good balance. A very good razor for the price.
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
2.00 star(s)
Pros: simple design, positive feel
Cons: I can't think of any
I own many razors and stopped using them all after I first used my New. I get a very controlled shave. Especially since I learned to use it on the different areas of my neck and face. I can honestly say that this is the only DE in my rotation.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Simple; mild but efficient
Cons: tarnished, thin handle
I was lucky to snag a nicer than expected razor on Etsy. For an old razoe it's in pretty good shape and I like it enough that I may get it replated and swap in a meatier handle. I find it mild, but efficient. With an average blade like an Astra it's pretty much bulletproof for me, but with a Feather I can have some problems if I get sloppy. It's not as pretty as my Ikon OC, but it shaves just as well if not better.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)