What's new

The Electric razor thread

Yes, the Series 9 does give me a closer, faster, more comfortable shave for me than either of my Series 7s, particularly the earliest version. And I do shave wet with electrics, with all of my DE software, and an electric cuts my DE shaving time in half. And I use the cleaning stations with all of my electrics with the exception of the Norelco s9000 Prestige, which doesn't have one, and find them more convenient, and more effective, than manual cleaning. For me. For you, obviously not. Good to have choices, and that's why manufacturers make them available - because people buy them. For the above reasons.

Yes, the Series 9 does give me a closer, faster, more comfortable shave for me than either of my Series 7s, particularly the earliest version. And I do shave wet with electrics, with all of my DE software, and an electric cuts my DE shaving time in half. And I use the cleaning stations with all of my electrics with the exception of the Norelco s9000 Prestige, which doesn't have one, and find them more convenient, and more effective, than manual cleaning. For me. For you, obviously not. Good to have choices, and that's why manufacturers make them available - because people buy them. For the above reasons.

I’m glad to hear that your series 9 shaver is an improvement over your series 7 shavers. As long as I’m getting a very close, very comfortable and fairly fast shave with my Braun 7893s, I’m going to stick with it until it dies. The real question is, if I upgraded to the series 9 shaver, would I get $100 more closeness, more speed or more comfort? In the end it’s a tool, which I use daily to do a specific job. I will replace it with whatever screen shaver is on sale at that time. Most likely either a Braun or a Panasonic. My previous Panasonic ES8103 lasted nearly five years using the same cutters and screens. Panasonic charges nearly as much for replacement parts as a new shaver. Besides the high cost of replacing the cutters and screens, the battery would no longer hold a week’s worth of electricity. That was the most days I could get from a charge.

Electric shavers have become high tech devices and the manufacturers have figured out ways to squeeze more money out of the customer’s wallet. The entire concept of an electric shaver was to get away from the time, the mess and the need for connectivity to a water supply. The only advantage I see to shaving wet with an electric shaver is not cutting yourself as I would with a razor blade.

There is one advantage I can see to a cleaning station. If you clean the Braun shaver without a cleaning station, then you must lubricant the screen with machine oil and dry the shave disassembled after rinsing it under running water. The cleaning station allows you to drop in the shaver and go on with your morning. If you do everything dry, then a quick tap of the cassette on a piece of toilet tissue and a quick brush of the top of the shaver and it’s done. Shaving and cleaning takes me about five to six minutes every morning. A cleaning station would save me about 30 seconds a day and one hour every two weeks to charge the battery. Also, I don’t have the space on my sink counter for the device.

Value is very subjective, discussed to a fair-thee-well in these parts. :001_smile Is a $400 Wolfman "worth" $300 more than a Karve, or a $40 Tech or R89, or something else? To some. Any of the electrics mentioned can provide an excellent, comfortable shave, so the discussion is merely degrees. Braun and Panasonic are the lead in foil shavers IMO, and agree that the Braun benefits more from a cleaning station with their closed cassette (although does take up real estate), with the Panasonics by most accounts, and my experience, providing a closer, but less comfortable shave. I don't mind the time and effort - and mess - of a DE wet shave, so a wet electric shave is just an extension of that, and takes less time and with less risk of irritation or cuts (hence electric). I find that a wet electric shave gives me a more comfortable - and closer - shave than dry, and I enjoy using the same software that I use for my DE shaves. And as you mention, I can shave dry without water with an electric, and have - something I'm not about to try with any blade. So different strokes, and I'm glad we have the innovation among manufacturers to provide the range of options we enjoy for electric shaving - foil or rotary, wet or dry, self-cleaning or not. Life is good!

Value is very subjective, discussed to a fair-thee-well in these parts. :001_smile Is a $400 Wolfman "worth" $300 more than a Karve, or a $40 Tech or R89, or something else? To some. Any of the electrics mentioned can provide an excellent, comfortable shave, so the discussion is merely degrees. Braun and Panasonic are the lead in foil shavers IMO, and agree that the Braun benefits more from a cleaning station with their closed cassette (although does take up real estate), with the Panasonics by most accounts, and my experience, providing a closer, but less comfortable shave. I don't mind the time and effort - and mess - of a DE wet shave, so a wet electric shave is just an extension of that, and takes less time and with less risk of irritation or cuts (hence electric). I find that a wet electric shave gives me a more comfortable - and closer - shave than dry, and I enjoy using the same software that I use for my DE shaves. And as you mention, I can shave dry without water with an electric, and have - something I'm not about to try with any blade. So different strokes, and I'm glad we have the innovation among manufacturers to provide the range of options we enjoy for electric shaving - foil or rotary, wet or dry, self-cleaning or not. Life is good!

What you say is obvious, but it’s fun to discuss the pros and cons of everything to due with shaving. We in the electric shaving minority can help out anyone who is interested in trying electric shaving.

As we approach the holiday season, which after Father’s Day, the interest in electric shavers usually increases. Having a forum where we can give advice on electric shaving is a good thing.

Lots of great info here; thank you all!!
I’m considering an electric as my job sometimes demands that I report clean shaven at late night / early morning hours with ~35 minutes prep time (one hour less ~25 minute drive). It makes more sense to shave enroute than heat water and prep my brush and soap.

Rising early is not a good option as I am awakened by a phone call and the appointed call time can slip to a later time.

I’m leaning toward a Braun Series 9.

I had a lot of electrics in my time. I think Norelcos are more comfortable and quieter then foil razors. Foil razors give a closer shave for most people. I used to use a Panasonic foil and it was very close. I used to think that wet shaving with an electric was defeating the purpose of not having the messiness. One day I decided to try using edge Gel. It turbocharged the razor in terms of closeness. Only on occasion can I get as close as that by blade shaving with two passes. I gave up electrics because they always seem to break down, it's just a question of 'when' last one broke, I said that's it, I'm done.

I’m considering an electric as my job sometimes demands that I report clean shaven at late night / early morning hours with ~35 minutes prep time (one hour less ~25 minute drive). It makes more sense to shave enroute than heat water and prep my brush and soap.

Rising early is not a good option as I am awakened by a phone call and the appointed call time can slip to a later time.

Hard to tell from your avatar, but if you're a Herc driver on the Gulf Coast I understand the off-hours. :001_smile The Series 9 is considered by many - including me - to be the most comfortable electric shaver made. It has a larger, asymmetric head that takes some practice maneuvering, but provides a close, comfortable shave with really minimum effort. Arguably not as close as the Panasonic Arc 5, but also arguably less prone to produce razor burn. The Braun cleaning station is also the best of the breed IMO, and I actually use the associated cleaning stations with all my electrics. It's also the only station that claims to sanitize the razor head, maybe of more significance these days even though you are the exclusive user. Brauns probably benefit more than Panasonics from a cleaning station because of the cartridge-type Braun heads, which rreally don't lend themselves to manual cleaning. The Series 9 is a good choice for novice and experienced users alike, the downside being price, but Braun quality is worth the price of admission if you're willing to spend the bucks. The older Series 7 is a close second for comfort (to me), but is likely as expensive and suffers from earlier design quirks, although some find the smaller head an advantage, and the build quality is overall slightly more robust.

I haven’t used the Braun Series 9 shaver but I get terrific results from a Braun Series 7. I have never tried shaving enroute while driving. However, I get a close shave in five minutes every morning. I shave first thing dry before showering or washing my face. It takes about 30 seconds to tap out the clippings onto a piece of toilet paper and I jump into the shower. If you really want to save a half minute or so buy one with the cleaning station. After shaving just drop the shaver into the cleaning station. In my mind the cleaning station is a waste of money, electricity and bathroom counter space.

Regardless what kind of electric shaver you buy, you have to give it at least a couple of weeks to allow your beard and face to become used to the shaver. All of the manufacturers offer a free return policy for at least 30 days after purchase.

Hard to tell from your avatar, but if you're a Herc driver on the Gulf Coast I understand the off-hours. :001_smile

Nailed it!! :thumbup: Nicely done, you’re obviously familiar with us!!

Thank You for the terrific, informative post. I appreciate the detail and you have certainly made the case for the Series 9. Right now Amazon has knocked some serious $$ off of it so I’m rather tempted!!

I have never tried shaving enroute while driving. However, I get a close shave in five minutes every morning. It takes about 30 seconds to tap out the clippings onto a piece of toilet paper.

Regardless what kind of electric shaver you buy, you have to give it at least a couple of weeks to allow your beard and face to become used to the shaver. All of the manufacturers offer a free return policy for at least 30 days after purchase.

Thank You!! Those are excellent points. A 5 minute shave is a lot safer than shaving whilst driving.

Also, I’d not realized the “beard/face break-in period.” I really appreciate knowing that beforehand!! Plus, the return policy certainly makes it a much easier decision.

Nailed it!! :thumbup: Nicely done, you’re obviously familiar with us!!

Thank You for the terrific, informative post. I appreciate the detail and you have certainly made the case for the Series 9. Right now Amazon has knocked some serious $$ off of it so I’m rather tempted!!

Don't think you'll be disappointed - most electric users who end up shelving their shavers don't give themselves enough time, either to adapt their beard or to perfect their technique, which is very different than passing a blade over your skin. Regards the Mississippi Delta, I began my storied USAF career at KAFB in 1975, when we spent a deal of our time fishing our comrades and allies out of the drink every month or so. I retired out of the scrap-heap of the Pentagon some 30 years later, only leaving because I merely made the comment I'd rather eat razor blades (pertinent to the forum!) than be promoted again and have to spend another six years on the Beltway. Ah, the follies of youth! :biggrin1:

I began my storied USAF career at KAFB in 1975, when we spent a deal of our time fishing our comrades and allies out of the drink every month or so. I retired out of the scrap-heap of the Pentagon some 30 years later, only leaving because I merely made the comment I'd rather eat razor blades (pertinent to the forum!) than be promoted again and have to spend another six years on the Beltway. Ah, the follies of youth! :biggrin1:

Hilarious!! And congratulations on escaping the “Puzzle Palace!!”

I'm just reporting in after a long absence. I'm still using my grandpa's Norelco triple header and it's still delivering good shaves. If anything, the shaves have gotten better. I haven't touched a blade in quite a while. The old vintage Norelco is surprisingly gentle and effective enough to last the better part of a day (and in these times, the bit of 5 o'clock shadow isn't really a problem).

My routine usually is to use some Williams Lectric Shave as a preshave, then I wash off after the shave or use a micellar water wipe and some regular aftershave (sometimes the shaver leaves grit behind and its an apportunity to exfoliate). I have lately been using Mandom or a homemade sandalwood concoction made from Crusellas Colonia de Sandalo. Sometimes I follow up with moisturizer.

In my very short experience with Electric shavers a few years ago i can say they're not effetcive at all. I have a very strong, coarse and heavy beard and after using a top-tier (at the time) shaver, a braun series 7, i simply had a 5 o clock shadow at 10.00 am. So i switched back to carts + brushed and soaps and never looked back

In my very short experience with Electric shavers a few years ago i can say they're not effetcive at all. I have a very strong, coarse and heavy beard and after using a top-tier (at the time) shaver, a braun series 7, i simply had a 5 o clock shadow at 10.00 am. So i switched back to carts + brushed and soaps and never looked back
My uncle used an electric and he had to shave twice a day due to his fast growing dark beard. He still prefers electric shavers.

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

My uncle used an electric and he had to shave twice a day due to his fast growing dark beard. He still prefers electric shavers.

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk
everyone has a different perception about what constitutes a BBS shave. That said, for me a BBS --> feeling absolutely nothing when i pass may palm ATG on my skin. And no electrics has ever been able to do that *with my beard*

Today I used a:
Barbasol Battery Powered Single-Blade Shaver
First time I used it. Very nice trim on my goatee and pretty comfortable shave as well. Very light beard as I used a Gillette Super Speed Flare tip yesterday with a Gillette Silver Blue blade. I was impressed. The design makes it easy to use (at least for me). Trimmed my goatee better than more expensive trimmers I have used. Can be used wet or dry. I used it dry. Good for a quick shave when my arthritis is bothering me.

Today I used a:
Barbasol Battery Powered Single-Blade Shaver
First time I used it. Very nice trim on my goatee and pretty comfortable shave as well. Very light beard as I used a Gillette Super Speed Flare tip yesterday with a Gillette Silver Blue blade. I was impressed. The design makes it easy to use (at least for me). Trimmed my goatee better than more expensive trimmers I have used. Can be used wet or dry. I used it dry. Good for a quick shave when my arthritis is bothering me.
barbasol electric looks very similar - in concept - to Philips Oneblade...

Top Bottom