What's new

Do you leave the water running, or fill the sink?

Do you leave the water running, or fill the sink?

• I let that fresh hot water flow.

• One sinkful is enough for me.

• I'm indecisive and go both ways.

• I overflow the sink.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I fill the sink after I fill my brush soak cup, when done shaving, drain sink then let water run to rinse face and clean tools.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I tried filling the sink up and take about 3 or 4 minutes when I started traditional shaving and tried the using the valves on the sink on and off and that can add added time and chances of bumping the razor on the taps. The best way I found for doing all my shaving needs is a small plastic glade sandwich container and just fill it up. I will rinse my face at first with warm water out of the container while the water is clean and as I start to shave I just swish the razor in the container and proceed the shave. I like to rinse between latherings so I use the valves on the tap for that and what the nice thing that happens is the small container overflows with all the suds and whiskers into the drain. At the end of my shave the water is some what clean and my synthetic brush gets a good thrashing in the water container and then I open the valves to give the brush a final rinse. The whole shave uses about 1/3 the water and the small bowl gives me cleaner water. Another thing that is a plus with a small plastic container compared to sink that is full is the clean up. When you pull the plug in the sink the scummed water is slowly draining and coating the whole sink as it slowly drains. The small plastic container has a lot less a foot print for soap scum to clean up so the wife should be happier even though I clean my mess up.
20180618_181002_crop_707x488[83843] (2).jpg
I took this photo years ago because this subject comes up every once in a while.
Have some great shaves!

I tried filling the sink up and take about 3 or 4 minutes when I started traditional shaving and tried the using the valves on the sink on and off and that can add added time and chances of bumping the razor on the taps. The best way I found for doing all my shaving needs is a small plastic glade sandwich container and just fill it up. I will rinse my face at first with warm water out of the container while the water is clean and as I start to shave I just swish the razor in the container and proceed the shave. I like to rinse between latherings so I use the valves on the tap for that and what the nice thing that happens is the small container overflows with all the suds and whiskers into the drain. At the end of my shave the water is some what clean and my synthetic brush gets a good thrashing in the water container and then I open the valves to give the brush a final rinse. The whole shave uses about 1/3 the water and the small bowl gives me cleaner water. Another thing that is a plus with a small plastic container compared to sink that is full is the clean up. When you pull the plug in the sink the scummed water is slowly draining and coating the whole sink as it slowly drains. The small plastic container has a lot less a foot print for soap scum to clean up so the wife should be happier even though I clean my mess up.
View attachment 1013550 I took this photo years ago because this subject comes up every once in a while.
Have some great shaves!

Our current apartment has a large kitchen sink, so we use have a plastic tub we soak the dishes in.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
All's Fair, old sitcom with Richard Crenna and Bernadette Peters had a scene with the two male actors shaving together. They had this very argument and Richard Crenna suggested that if he wanted a bowl full of water for shaving - and then lifted the toilet seat.

I fill the sink up for my shaves.
Only turn the water on when rinsing the razor, face, and brush post shave.
I like to not waste water unnecessarily.

Okay, I know I am going to be the outlier and the guy pushing it way to far, but there is a reason. I am from SoCal and during the draught, my City actually had caps on water usage. I used to just let the water flow, so my family gave me a challenge to cut down on my water usage (I am an Environmental Engineer so they said I should set a good example). Over time I came up with this method that uses a little under 1-gallon (4-liters) of water total per shave.

Electric Kettle - Holds 1.9 liters, I heat water to 165 degrees F (lowest setting)

Pour 1 liter into the stopped sink, I pour over my razor to heat it up and do a pre-shave cleaning.

Use a salad sized shave bowl (has dimples on the inside like a golf ball). Use razor to transfer water into bowl.

Dip my brush and swirl around in sink to cool water off a little, then use wet brush to wipe across my face to pre-soak my beard.

Make lather and shave using water in the sink. When done shaving, use mucky sink water to do first face rinse. Do a first brush and razor wash in mucky sink. Drain sink.

Run water for about 10 seconds and splash clean water as 2nd face rinse and to rinse out soap bowl.

Add about .4 liters of hot kettle water to clean soap bowl, as I pour into bowl, I pour over the razor. I then swirl the razor in the bowl to further clean. I then dip the brush in the water and clean the brush. I have restoppered the sink and squeeze the water off the brush into the sink. I do this 3-4 times, then pour remainder of the water into sink. I then repeat filling the bowl with another .4 liters and clean the razor and brush again. I find this final cleaning removes all the soap from the razor and brush. I pour this bowls worth into the sink, then drain the sink.

I towel dry everything, and put away. I find the hot kettle water really dissolves the soap on the razor and brush leaving them clean with no soap scum.

I know that using water around 150 F is not necessarily good for the brushes, but hey, life isn't always easy. My brushes just need to suck it up.

It has became a prideful thing to me that I can shave and property clean my equipment with so little water. But ya, it is over the top and I might have a problem.... might.

Have a Great One!

I'm upset. :001_rolle This poll doesn't include all the options. I don't fill up the sink and I don't leave the faucet running. I think both are a waste. I only add tiny bits of water to my lather in a bowl until just the right consistency. Then when I rinse my razor during each pass I turn the faucet on and off just long enough to rinse off the razor. I do that all the way through 3 passes plus some touchup. I figure this uses the least amount of water because it never runs for more than 3 seconds at a time, usually less.

when I shave in the sink, I fill the sink. I usually shave in the shower, fill a plastic cup full of water and turn off the shower during my lathering and passes, then rinse the whole mess down the drain.

I am going for the, "I kinda do both but not really," stance. I typically:
  1. Stopper my sink when I get out of the shower.
  2. Rinse my brush (if using synthetic) or dump my rinse mug into the sink (If using badger).
  3. Dip my fingers into the slightly accumulated water to help build a lather.
  4. Run the faucet only long enough to rinse my razor/face/whatever needs it.
  5. If the water gets a level where I can swish it, I stop running water and swish.
  6. Drink the remaining water and soap because I assume I swore at least once in the past 24 hours and need to clean my mouth.

I'm upset. :001_rolle This poll doesn't include all the options. I don't fill up the sink and I don't leave the faucet running. I think both are a waste. I only add tiny bits of water to my lather in a bowl until just the right consistency. Then when I rinse my razor during each pass I turn the faucet on and off just long enough to rinse off the razor. I do that all the way through 3 passes plus some touchup. I figure this uses the least amount of water because it never runs for more than 3 seconds at a time, usually less.
Ding, ding, ding! This is a winner. I only do a single pass plus touch-up these days, but I do it the same way. Run the faucet to wet the brush, drip water while lathering, turn off. Turn in on only long enough to rinse the razor, and as infrequently as possible. Turn it on again after the shave to rinse out the brush.

Neither. I just fire up the faucet (hot) when I need to rinse the razor and (cold) for rinsing my face. No need to leave it running. As for filling up the sink, swishing the razor in standing water doesn't seem to get the whiskers completely out so I prefer the short faucet blast method.

Okay, I know I am going to be the outlier and the guy pushing it way to far, but there is a reason. I am from SoCal and during the draught, my City actually had caps on water usage. I used to just let the water flow, so my family gave me a challenge to cut down on my water usage (I am an Environmental Engineer so they said I should set a good example). Over time I came up with this method that uses a little under 1-gallon (4-liters) of water total per shave.

Electric Kettle - Holds 1.9 liters, I heat water to 165 degrees F (lowest setting)

Pour 1 liter into the stopped sink, I pour over my razor to heat it up and do a pre-shave cleaning.

Use a salad sized shave bowl (has dimples on the inside like a golf ball). Use razor to transfer water into bowl.

Dip my brush and swirl around in sink to cool water off a little, then use wet brush to wipe across my face to pre-soak my beard.

Make lather and shave using water in the sink. When done shaving, use mucky sink water to do first face rinse. Do a first brush and razor wash in mucky sink. Drain sink.

Run water for about 10 seconds and splash clean water as 2nd face rinse and to rinse out soap bowl.

Add about .4 liters of hot kettle water to clean soap bowl, as I pour into bowl, I pour over the razor. I then swirl the razor in the bowl to further clean. I then dip the brush in the water and clean the brush. I have restoppered the sink and squeeze the water off the brush into the sink. I do this 3-4 times, then pour remainder of the water into sink. I then repeat filling the bowl with another .4 liters and clean the razor and brush again. I find this final cleaning removes all the soap from the razor and brush. I pour this bowls worth into the sink, then drain the sink.

I towel dry everything, and put away. I find the hot kettle water really dissolves the soap on the razor and brush leaving them clean with no soap scum.

I know that using water around 150 F is not necessarily good for the brushes, but hey, life isn't always easy. My brushes just need to suck it up.

It has became a prideful thing to me that I can shave and property clean my equipment with so little water. But ya, it is over the top and I might have a problem.... might.

Have a Great One!
I do something similar in the winter and using the shavette. I heat up ~0.5 liter of water to boiling in the electric kettle. Then cut it half-n-half with cold water in a lather bowl which is used to wet 1) a brush (to load soap and face lather), 2) a washcloth (to wet face before 1st pass, and clean a little in between passes), and 3) a sponge (to clean lather off shavette). That is enough to get the shave going and pretty much finish it. Another bowl of half hot/cold water is used to clean face with the washcloth after the shave is finished. I probably waste more water in the cleanup but the overall water usage is pretty minimal.

I can go camping and DE shave/bathe with about 3-4 gallons of water total. I usually start with a 5 gallon bucket but have learned to be more efficient about washing the body. When one is bathing using a bucket and ladle it is easier to control the flow of water and keep it minimal.

A quick rinse under the tap when needed so about four times on each pass. Intermittent rinse is not one of the choices in the survey which has be reiterated in previous posts.

Top Bottom