What's new

Do you leave the water running, or fill the sink?

Do you leave the water running, or fill the sink?

• I let that fresh hot water flow.

• One sinkful is enough for me.

• I'm indecisive and go both ways.

• I overflow the sink.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I just fill the sink enough to dip my razor.

If I shower after my gf, the water is already not as hot as it should be. Then when I go to shave it's still warm, but not piping hot. I plug the sink, wet my brush and let the water fill 1/3 of the sink. Thats enough for me.

I used to fill the sink once and leave it for rinsing my face before the shave, soaking the brush, rinsing the razor during the shave, rinsing my face after the shave. However, now that I picked up a scuttle, I run it while I rinse my face and turn it on and off to rinse the razor during the shave. I don't see why anyone would just leave it running the whole time.

First thing I do is turn the hot water on to a trickle---splash some water on the puck---then go take my meds--check my blood sugar--feed the cat and sometimes check e-mail----by the time I get back, the water is finally hot---I continue to let it trickle and wet my face--pour the original water off the puck--soak the brush and work up a lather---re-wet my face--lather up and shave--rinse off as needed---when I'm done---turn it to cold rinse out the brush and razor------then hit the shower. All at a trickle the whole time.

I am one of those people that turn the faucet on and off as required. If I need to rinse, I quickly turn on the tap and turn it off when done. A littlem more effort but I don't waste water.

+1.

My answer to the poll would have been "none of the above" if it were available. I turn the water on to rinse the razor, then turn it off and shave. Turn it on again to rinse, and so forth. The razor is always rinsed in clean water, but I don't run the water unnecessarily.

IMO, nobody should just allow the water the run the entire time. That's just not right.

I rinse the razor under running water. I used to fill the sink and swish my razor, thinking I was saving water, but I wound up using 3 times the water to clean off the shaving cream scum that accumulated on the sink and razor that way.

Dip the razor in a sink full of water, but empty and refill as the water gets fouled with whiskers and lather.

Rinse the razor in running DHMO if I get anything underneath the blade.

So yes, best of both I guess.

- ice

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Nice old thread back to life! :biggrin:

I fill the sink maybe 1/4. A sponge is enough to clean my straight razor blade. It's also enough water to soak the brush.

B

bluefoxicy

I've seen people do it both ways, so I was interested in what the consensus is.

Now's the time to fess up. Are you environmentally sensitive, fill the sink and just use one sinkful of water, or do you abhor dipping your razor into a mirky creamy/soapy/stubble filled stew, and just let the water run?

I often fill the sink, but I also confess to just letting that hot water run on occasion.

-Nick

I turn the water on when I need to rinse the razor, then shut it back off. The silence is more meditative, especially as I relax and allow myself to passively listen to the sound of hairs cutting and the razor itself gliding through the lather. Every little thing makes a sound, even a drop of water running down your cheek.

Depends.. If I have a couple of days' stubble (even only two full days without shaving) the sink fills with hair. Since I use the same water to rinse my face, I'd be splashing stubble and gunk unto my face again.

If there's not a lot of stubble, there's no trouble using a sink of water. However, all stubble sticks to the sink at the edge of the water, which does not happen if I rinse my razor under running water.

However, I NEVER let the water run. That's just a stupid waste of hot water. Just turn the faucet on when I need water.

Guess I am a little dense. "...leave the water running, or fill the sink?" for what? Washing my face, I leave the water running. During the shave, I leave the water running on low. While showering before the shave, I fill the sink to warm my bowl and brush then turn if off; learned the hard way not to leave the water running with the plug in while showering - sink overflowed!

I used to fill the sink but after watching a special on 20-20, Dateline, or the like about bacteria in the household, I stopped. The guy they interviewed and tested sinks, toilets, countertops, etc in the homes for bacteria made the comment he'd rather drink from the toilet than the sink (although he was referring to the kitchen sink and the germs from old food, sponges, etc). While I don't let the water run the entire time I'm shaving, I do use running water to rinse my razor between passes with a quick flip of the handle turning it on, then back off. Paranoid? Maybe. Well, probably.

Jerry

plus one from me...this method saves water,I have seen bad droughts,and california went 3 years with only a few drops of rain...water is really a precious gift.sadly,there are several billionaires looking to turn water into a commodity and weapon...check out dvd "FLOW"....

I have problems with hot water. (The water doesn't get hot enough.) so when I wake up and start the coffee maker I fill a coffee mug, a plastic tumbler, and a cereal bowl each with filtered water. I stick all three in the microwave for 4 minutes and take my shower.

By the time I get out of the shower, the microwave has finished and the water is no longer boiling hot. I pour the water from the cereal bowl into yet another small bowl and put the cereal bowl on top of that. I'm left with a coffee mug with hot water to soak/dip the brush in; another cup of hot water to rinse out the razor (in lieu of the sink) and the cereal bowl to whip up the lather.

I save water by not having to keep the tap running, and I find that there's plenty of water in the tumbler to effectively rinse my razor even after 3 passes (except on mondays when I have extra growth).

Not sure if anyone else does this, but it works for me.

Wow! A poll from January 2006. When the poll started, I filled the sink. The water became too cold and murky somewhere in mid 2008. I switched to running the water, but only in brief spurts.

This is the second one I've seen from 06 today. Someone is busy necroposting today

Top Bottom